Tarp
    Hex
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 40
    Suspension
    Dutch buckle/strap
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    Thanks. I appreciate the information.

The New Skin, I agree, seals any extra bacteria in. However, I clean and disinfect (with Neosporin and a dab of alcohol on a gauze pad) any wounds before using the stuff. Then, the New Skin also has a disinfectant in it. I find that it seals the wounds better than a band-aid and requires less babying (helpful if the wound is on a section of your body that sees regular use, like your fingers or toes).
    I would pay close attention that you not only "disinfect" your wound but irrigate it well. An alcohol pad is great for surface prep but will hurt and do a poor job of washing muck from a wound. You're better off with some saline and steri-strips. The steri-strips we have at work weigh next to nothing and even contact solution would work for saline. Plus the nature of the steri-strips work great on fingers etc.

If you can't get access to steri-strips shoot me a PM with your address and poof you'll have some.
    Look up before you hook up!!
    Originally Posted by body942
    Me big. Me like hammockgear burrow. Long. Problems no. People good.

Hammock
    bannana
    Tarp
    n/a
    Insulation
    n/a
    Suspension
    n/a
    if you want a different pack, it was cheap but i just bought an external frame, oldy pack for about 5 bucks from a thrift store (Actually the one i got was for 15 an its an old mckinley external frame).....its in switzerland their stores are alot different. anyway. they had a few similar ones a few in blue and i think an orange one. i could grab ya one. would prolly pay more in shipping than bag itself. but i get back august 2nd so...idunno if it would make it. hit me up bro if ur game.
    if im not totally lazy i can charge my camera a....i dont have the computer cord i cant do anything ....
    I'm a Hammocker stuck in a tenter's body.....

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Insulation
    UGQ down goodness
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    Images
    +1 on the bug protection. Make sure it keeps ticks away too. When we camped there in January of this year for the 1st Annual Florida Hang the temp got down to into the 20's and I still managed to find a tick crawling on me. I can't imagine what they must be like this time of year.

Hammock
    Lite Owl; Light Hiker
    Tarp
    Toxaway;MacCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Burrow; Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    Alright. My initial trip planning was predicated around the water sources shown on the trail map (no. 20). However, after a closer look at the data book companion, the farthest away that water sources seem to be from each other is about nine or ten miles at any given point.

Has anyone done this section of trail in the summer? I know we're under drought conditions right now, so that may affect the amount of water available along the trail vs. last September (when it was published).
    I think it was April of last year that my friends hiked from Alexander Springs to Hopkins Prairie. Water was near non-existent and when they ran out they hiked for 8 hours without. One of them passed out for 2 hours on the side of the trail. They both suffered severe dehydration and took days to recover. They also both had large, severe blisters.

They called me to bail them out and I grabbed one of them at Juniper. I'm still upset that they split up. It took the other about twice as long as it should to go from Hidden Pond to Hopkins. He was shuffling like an old man. I was out on the trail looking for him when he finally wandered into Hopkins.

I wouldn't skimp on water this time of year. It's extra weight but you need to stay hydrated...especially if you're hiking solo.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Trail Issues? Please let me know.
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TFC Rick View Post
    I would pay close attention that you not only "disinfect" your wound but irrigate it well. An alcohol pad is great for surface prep but will hurt and do a poor job of washing muck from a wound. You're better off with some saline and steri-strips. The steri-strips we have at work weigh next to nothing and even contact solution would work for saline. Plus the nature of the steri-strips work great on fingers etc.

If you can't get access to steri-strips shoot me a PM with your address and poof you'll have some.
    'Preciate the offer. I should be able to get some at the local Walgreens, though (I'm pretty sure that's where mom used to get them, though she also worked in the medical industry, so it's possible it was a work source). If I can't find them I'll definitely let you know.

Good old soap and water should do the trick, as well, if the wound is mucky, yes? I mean, that's what I've always done at home and work and I've never had a problem. I'll have the Dr. Bronner's and should have clean water the whole trip, so it's just a matter of washing the wound out if it comes to that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ears View Post
    if you want a different pack, it was cheap but i just bought an external frame, oldy pack for about 5 bucks from a thrift store (Actually the one i got was for 15 an its an old mckinley external frame).....its in switzerland their stores are alot different. anyway. they had a few similar ones a few in blue and i think an orange one. i could grab ya one. would prolly pay more in shipping than bag itself. but i get back august 2nd so...idunno if it would make it. hit me up bro if ur game.
    if im not totally lazy i can charge my camera a....i dont have the computer cord i cant do anything ....
    Thanks for the offer. Really, though, I'm pretty committed to putting together my own pack. That's really a discussion for another time, though. I definitely would appreciate any photos of the pack that you could send me (if you manage to find your cord), though; I intend upon doing an external frame myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Gumbo View Post
    +1 on the bug protection. Make sure it keeps ticks away too. When we camped there in January of this year for the 1st Annual Florida Hang the temp got down to into the 20's and I still managed to find a tick crawling on me. I can't imagine what they must be like this time of year.
    Wow. Well, they're hardy little buggers, that's for sure. I'll have tweezers and Permethrined shirts and undershorts, so I should be okay. I may have to remove a couple a day, but they won't be in any sensitive spots if I'm lucky and the bug juice does its job.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JaxHiker View Post
    I think it was April of last year that my friends hiked from Alexander Springs to Hopkins Prairie. Water was near non-existent and when they ran out they hiked for 8 hours without. One of them passed out for 2 hours on the side of the trail. They both suffered severe dehydration and took days to recover. They also both had large, severe blisters.

They called me to bail them out and I grabbed one of them at Juniper. I'm still upset that they split up. It took the other about twice as long as it should to go from Hidden Pond to Hopkins. He was shuffling like an old man. I was out on the trail looking for him when he finally wandered into Hopkins.

I wouldn't skimp on water this time of year. It's extra weight but you need to stay hydrated...especially if you're hiking solo.

Thanks. That's kinda what I figured, but it was an idea. I appreciate the information.

Ah, well...back to the scale...

Hammock
    Skeeter Beeter Pro
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WL3/4 - GoLite TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    The antifungal cream could probably be left at home. I'm just worried that swamp crotch will creep up on me out there (I usually work in a 100+ degree kitchen in the summer, so I have an idea of how bad that can get if not treated/prevented properly).
    I live in Orlando with most camping, hiking around ONF. We highly recommend compression shorts. They do a great job of keeping the nether regions dry, chafe free and happy.
    hammock [ham-uhk] noun
    Man's successful attempt to sleep on a cloud

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrayDog View Post
    I live in Orlando with most camping, hiking around ONF. We highly recommend compression shorts. They do a great job of keeping the nether regions dry, chafe free and happy.
    I've been using boxer/briefs made out of sweat-wicking stuff that should help with that. We'll see...

Hammock
    Lite Owl; Light Hiker
    Tarp
    Toxaway;MacCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Burrow; Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I went commando on my last AT hike (Memorial Day) and it worked a lot better than I'd expected.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Trail Issues? Please let me know.
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    I think there are a couple of recent threads on the subject of underwear (or lack of). I got 2 pairs of the ex-officio travel briefs and have so far been super happy with them. They don't stay "fresh" but are easy to clean and quick dry.

The spandex compression shorts I tried before worked well but seemed to almost generate "funk" smell. Only a soak in oxy-clean when I got home make them bearable to wear again.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast