Ridgeline to control sag

Hey Guys,
    I'm totally new to anything to do with hammocks. Stumbled upon Shug's videos on YouTube and a few hours later found myself ordering an ENO single. I can't wait to hang the thing.
    My question is: How do I attach a ridgeline to control the sag of the hammock? I'll probably order a whoopysling or perhaps I'll just use some parachute cord with some type of tensioning knot. But where do I attach the ends?

My Eno has slapstraps that connect to the tree. There are a number of loops along the strap that act as attachment points for a carabiner that is attached to the hammock. Does the ridge-line attach to the carabiners?

Thanks for any help in advance.
    JohnnhoJ -

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Ridgeline usually attaches near where hammock body is attached to suspension. From there you are on your own. There are as many ways to attach it as there are ways to suspend a hammock. I'd start by just using knots you can untie. Might want a small biner on one end. You will change the length as you learn how they work.

Hammock
    Hanging...
    Tarp
    Up...
    Insulation
    Down...
    Suspension
    Tight at 30'
    Images
    +1 on what nothermark said.
    And as rule of thumb its should be around 80% of the hammocks length(but try to mess around with it to find your perfect length.

Edit: Just noticed this was your first post. Welcome aboard!
    /Bomber.LTD
    Member of the infamous "Hyperborean Hang Gang"
    ]
    "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."
    -Thomas Edison
    "If there is anything bigger than my ego in here, i want it dragged outside and shot"!!!
    -Zap Brannigan

To much time on your hands? Waste some time here

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Welcome aboard from Florida. Enjoy the fun.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Hello and welcome!
    You might find the single a little narrow. I found the single alright but a doublenest allows a more diagonal and therefore flatter lay. The slap straps are nylon and they stretch a fair bit. They're ok but if you use them for an overnight, they can stretch pretty far. I am speaking form experience here.
    A large majority of ENO users change the stock ropes and biners to 7/64 amsteel and change the suspension to something else as well. The ridgeline should be made out of something that does not stretch so avoid paracord. If you did swap out your stock suspension for whoopie slings, and you pick up an adjustable ridgeline, then its simply a matter of girth hitching the loops around the amsteel where they meet the hammock.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Thanks guys for the advice. Won't be using any cord with stretch to it. Will go with amsteel. I'll loop it to the ends of the hammock, and experiment. Thanks again

Hammock
    WBBB,WBRR,DIY
    Tarp
    HG WP,WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchGear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
    Ridgeline usually attaches near where hammock body is attached to suspension. From there you are on your own. There are as many ways to attach it as there are ways to suspend a hammock. I'd start by just using knots you can untie. Might want a small biner on one end. You will change the length as you learn how they work.
    +2. Here is a picture of how I did it. There are many other ways...choose one that works for you.

Hammock
    DIY SL 1.9 Black
    Tarp
    OES Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Big Agnes IAC
    Suspension
    Whoopies or cinch
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnhoJ View Post
    Hey Guys,
    I'm totally new to anything to do with hammocks. Stumbled upon Shug's videos on YouTube and a few hours later found myself ordering an ENO single. I can't wait to hang the thing.
    My question is: How do I attach a ridgeline to control the sag of the hammock? I'll probably order a whoopysling or perhaps I'll just use some parachute cord with some type of tensioning knot. But where do I attach the ends?

My Eno has slapstraps that connect to the tree. There are a number of loops along the strap that act as attachment points for a carabiner that is attached to the hammock. Does the ridge-line attach to the carabiners?

Thanks for any help in advance.
    JohnnhoJ -
    HEY welcome from the sunshine state!

everything about the ridgeline has been said, but the use of Paracord....dont do it....it says 550 but unless its the nice stuff it just isnt.It will stretch and it will snap at some point. Go for some amsteel with two fixed eyes or some other mason line. The strength to weight of amsteel or similar line is astounding and most of the members use these materials. Not to bash you using paracord, hyoh, but look at some other posts regarding adjustable structural ridgelines and fixed ridgelines. HF is the hammock equivalent to the Encyclopedia Britanica, just gotta look around.

oh yeah DROP THE SLAP STRAPS
    Last edited by JPsax; 07-28-2011 at 08:40.
    Every time I hang in a tree I get a coconut to the head.....stupid coconuts

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Luke's LB HG hex
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    SlingRings/Straps
    Images
    Yeah just attatch each end to the rope goin through the end channels. Chuck that stock rope and put some whoopies on there, or a continuous loop with descender rings, or one of the other many ways, just not that stock rope stuff. Just my two cents. Have fun!!
    "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Please check out the link below to show your love for hammocks!www.zazzle.com/hammocklife

• + New Posts