Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images

Down from USA

I looked into down from HE's resource and they are pretty good. http://www.featherind.com/
    It only costs $73 (Canadian)per pound for 800 fill goose down. However with the weak American dollar withering away from our huge National dept and the world's lack of confidence in our fiscal policies that brings it too $87.60 (American). Still a good price. However they have a minimum order quantity of 2 pounds. Now throw on the $39.16 to ship it to PA because of our lack of a real energy policy and the unregulated oil industry which has us over a barrel and it comes to $214.36 for 2 pounds. The Gods are all working against me.
    Now if I go through Speer I can get it in 3.1 increments at $26. This works out to about $144 per pound shipped. With these compared I woud rather go with Speer because he does alot for the hammock community. However I am cheaper than I am a loyal customer sooo.....

Does anyone know of a Down supplier in the USA? Since their Canadian Geese migrate here in the winter you would think there would be suppliers. A search on the web only reveals down pillows and comforters.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Dutch,

Here is the hot scoop.....

buy Ed's down...it is your best deal.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    home-made
    Tarp
    home-made
    Images
    Would it be cheaper to buy pillows/comforters just for the down? (I dunno, never looked... but you could buy at the local store this way.)

pillows and comforters that you could find locally are probably using 550 down or worse - in other words your end product will be heavier than with good quality down.

I got a price list and some info from the same Canadian supplier as HE and did notice one thing. If you go from 800fp (they say it is the same as the 900fp Speer down, just tested using a different method) to 750fp, the price drops to $48CD/lb from $73Cd/lb. Now, I understand that every gram counts, but we are talking about comparing 15oz of 750fp vs 14oz of 800fp. Dropping that ounce gets pretty expensive and the supplier talks up the 750fp down as a very good product. Just something to consider

Images
    I can't remember the exact price I had, other than it was around $5 an oz with shipping. They even included some extra.

That was the math that I did. I decided that I would carry 3 or 4 extra oz to save a ton of cash.

Next time I do an order, I think I am going to order a couple extra pounds to make it more cost effective for furture projects.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    home-made
    Tarp
    home-made
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hog On Ice View Post
    pillows and comforters that you could find locally are probably using 550 down or worse - in other words your end product will be heavier than with good quality down.
    That makes sense. I was just thinking of a possible easy/cheap source.

Hammock
    Clark Jungle Hammock
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Speer Underquilt

Cheap easy source

Try your local goodwill.
    I've found several nice down comforters there... you can either open the baffles and harvest the down, or use them as is. They're usually from $8 to $20 depending on the looks of the fabric.

Hammock
    HH Expd Asm or DIY or WBBB or .....
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ / CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie!!!....
    Images
    Could this be used to get down from on the cheap??

http://cgi.ebay.com/Luxury-King-Sibe...QQcmdZViewItem

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I have been weighing my options all night. Speer has the best and it is in small increments. I am also thinking of Momentum 90 while I'm at it. Why should I make an almost great quilt when I can make the perfect quilt with the best ingedients. Besides this quilt is going to get used often if i have my way.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast