WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    The trail from Crosby Manitou to the Caribou River has a LOT of down'n'up elevation change, including the stretch northbound from the Manitou River to Horsehoe Ridge. That climb north from the river is one of the "toughest" on the entire SHT. Coming from the other direction (Two Island River) is comparatively gentle.
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Is anyone going up there on Thursday? The way work is looking, I may be able to sneak up there a day early. Then do a quick overnighter on the trail so I'm already up there on Friday and can meet everyone at two island river.

Fronkey

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    As things now stand, I'll head up Friday morning to arrive at the starting point at noon. I'll post here if there's any change.
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

Hammock
    Darien UL, Ridgerunner, DIY
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear UQ,TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Quote Originally Posted by beep View Post
    As things now stand, I'll head up Friday morning to arrive at the starting point at noon. I'll post here if there's any change.
    I will also not be able to go until Friday morning, but don't let that stop you from getting another night in the woods!
    "nature speaks in the silence between words"
    www.mustexplore.blogspot.com

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Cool! Hope you had fun up there last week.

Quote Originally Posted by Skygzr View Post
    I will also not be able to go until Friday morning, but don't let that stop you from getting another night in the woods!
    I figured if I have an extra day off I should just use it up on the trail. I am probably going to just hike into a site and hike out in the morning to meet everyone at the parking lot. I'm already getting antsy to get back out there. I am so stoked for this trip!

Fronkey

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fronkey View Post
    Cool! Hope you had fun up there last week.

Fronkey
    I had a grand time! Even had a bit o'challenge 'cause the footbridge over Carlson Creek (south of South Carlson campground) was sufficiently flooded that I had about 40 feet of water to cross with a 15 foot bridge! After poking around a bit, I was able to cross with a depth of only two feet or so (knee deep). That was fun in the context of rain, 35-40 MPH wind gusts and 45 degree temperature! I suspect that some industrious beavers had built a dam downstream in the past few weeks, and I encountered the "fruits of their labors" as the water backed up. Thank goodness for packing dry socks!!

P.S. I've already notified the SHTA office about this so they will check it out and take remedial action.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear UQ,TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    I had a grand time! Even had a bit o'challenge 'cause the footbridge over Carlson Creek (south of South Carlson campground) was sufficiently flooded that I had about 40 feet of water to cross with a 15 foot bridge! After poking around a bit, I was able to cross with a depth of only two feet or so (knee deep). That was fun in the context of rain, 35-40 MPH wind gusts and 45 degree temperature! I suspect that some industrious beavers had built a dam downstream in the past few weeks, and I encountered the "fruits of their labors" as the water backed up. Thank goodness for packing dry socks!!

P.S. I've already notified the SHTA office about this so they will check it out and take remedial action.
    South Carlson campground isn't that a fabulous site! the road just south of there was covered in about a foot of water from an industrious beaver when I went through in late August.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Man, I hope you got some pictures of that. Sounds like a great time!

Quote Originally Posted by Skygzr View Post
    South Carlson campground isn't that a fabulous site! the road just south of there was covered in about a foot of water from an industrious beaver when I went through in late August.
    It really is an awesome site. I hung at North carlson pond which is awful and when I walked by South I was so bummed I missed out. The place looks even better from your photos as I was there on a gloomy day.

Fronkey

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear UQ,TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Quote Originally Posted by Fronkey View Post
    Man, I hope you got some pictures of that. Sounds like a great time!

It really is an awesome site. I hung at North carlson pond which is awful and when I walked by South I was so bummed I missed out. The place looks even better from your photos as I was there on a gloomy day.

Fronkey
    I hung at north Carlson as well- some of the worst water I have ever used out of that trickle of a creek, had I known there was such a great ridge view just passed there going south I would have taken some water up the hill for the view

Hammock
    DIY insulated
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben hex
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Amsteel
    Hey Guys, heads up on hunting season.

I am unsure exactly where everyone will be hiking that weekend, but the SHT goes through some open deer hunting areas.

Bring some blaze orange to be safe.

Fronkey, I might be good to go Thursday. I can let you know this week sometime. It could be cool to do a quiet night somewhere that looks good for moose sightings.

• + New Posts
  • Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast