DIY - HH - ENO
    Tarp
    OES - HG
    Insulation
    DIY - HG
    Suspension
    WS - AHE
    Images
    My experience with TtTTG has been awesome - great turnaround time on orders, easy-to-use website, good products, etc.

However -

I appreciate threads like these, because they illustrate the issues that arise when dealing with cottage industries. Personally, I'm very impressed by any business that can be run by a single individual through the manufacturing, advertising, and the shipping processes. Problems arise when a single (or few) individual(s) CANNOT, efficiently, manufacture, advertise, and ship products. In this instance, the customer was given a ship date for an item and the item was not shipped by that date. That is poor customer service, regardless of the size of the company. If poor customer service bothers you, then threads such as these should benefit you. While detrimental to the reputation of the business, feedback is important, and the business should grow from that feedback. Perhaps TtTTG will consider paying the kid up the block to run some packages to the post office when orders get backed up. Maybe a boy scout would like to learn the industry or earn a few bucks stuffing packages or sewing a few stitches. If the business is growing and receiving an overwhelming number of orders, perhaps a part-time employee would be not only feasible, but ultimately rewarding.

I see threads like these in much of the section regarding cottage industries, and I always read them. People are quick to praise small businesses for their great service and attention to detail, but are often reluctant to complain - though we should encourage both positive and negative feedback. Minimizing or dismissing someone's experience as irrelevant is not the proper course of action - and I'm disappointed when people do that, because I find this information helpful.

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    hummm,,not adding fuel to the fire,,but why not? I ordered a set of 6' tree straps on the 13,,on the 21st finally got a email reply the strapping material would come in Monday and he would ship and still waiting too..makes me wonder what is going on alittle even tho I don't need them right now,,and ordered them for the wife's setup of which she will use later in Aug. Not in a hurry right now,,but now wondering myself. the old saying goes " All good things comes to those that wait".

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly,HG CUBEN
    Insulation
    Yeti and Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadtorque View Post
    Yep, it's all about delivering good product and good customer service. Both are required for a business to succeed. One can get online and read reviews about any company/product and it helps the "buyer" choose where to make a purchase. I like the products that a lot of our Hammock Forum cottage vendors support but I order from very few of them because of wait time. Some people dont mind it, but I do so I pick a vendor that has things in stock and ship the same day.
    I feel the same. If I'm to give my hard earned money to someone for a product, I expect it to be sent the same day or following day after payment. Sometimes I do make an exception for a great product, such as a Warbonnet hammock, it does mention on there website that in stock items can take upto one week before delivery. I'm waiting on my first hammock from Warbonnet, can't wait to try it out for the first time, I hope it's worth the wait.
    Last edited by Phillipsart; 07-28-2011 at 05:08.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Shipping by the next business day should be expected for mega corporations that have 100% computer controlled inventory and stocked warehouses - Walmart for example. Actually, Walmart is the slowest shipper I've ever dealt with of the big companies and even gave up and cancelled an order once.

But to me, the cottage industry is a whole different ballgame. I order from them knowing that production/delivery times are fluid for all the reasons mentioned in previous posts. However, I happily place my orders and wait patiently knowing that I will receive a product that is unique or the quality is beyond what I can buy in the mainstream marketplace.

That being said, I would expect even a cottage manufacturer to send me an email if there are undue delays or an update if a previous date had been agreed to. Then, all would be well with me.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    Shipping by the next business day should be expected for mega corporations that have 100% computer controlled inventory and stocked warehouses
    One of the issues that plays into this scenario is something that the customer may have no awareness of. There are different shopping carts and different structures which govern them. Most small business shopping carts are run through e-commerce portals. Some are set up to received the order and immediately send out an order confirmation from the portal in the name of the vendor. The orders are then transferred to the vendor in a number of different ways. Some are batch processed where the orders are passed on either at a particular time or when a certain number of orders have been received.

Other portals pass on the order in real time. You place the order and it is immediately redirected to the vendor. Some times the portal sends an order confirmation. Some times the vendor sends the order confirmation.

The more "real time" service is involved, the higher the cost for the e-commerce service. The cheapest system would be the order is placed and stored until a preset transfer trigger is reached. Either the time each day, the same day each week or when x number of orders have been received. The most costly is the full real time service. Depending on the portal that can get quite expensive.

The point is, because you receive an order confirmation is no assurance the vendor has received the order. That's just the way things are in the e-commerce world.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Lite Owl; Light Hiker
    Tarp
    Toxaway;MacCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Burrow; Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    But to me, the cottage industry is a whole different ballgame. I order from them knowing that production/delivery times are fluid for all the reasons mentioned in previous posts. However, I happily place my orders and wait patiently knowing that I will receive a product that is unique or the quality is beyond what I can buy in the mainstream marketplace.

That being said, I would expect even a cottage manufacturer to send me an email if there are undue delays or an update if a previous date had been agreed to. Then, all would be well with me.
    Well said. I had a similar issue with a vendor recently. I was told it would take 2 weeks. A month later and days from my trip I still didn't have it. Communication was sporadic but they made good and shipped it overnight. In the end I would still do business with them in the future.

I can certainly understand the frustration especially when there's a lack of communication. I do agree that if something comes up that'll impact production/delivery the customer(s) should be kept informed.

I do tend to give the small guys a lot more leeway, though. ymmv. As always we can always vote with our wallet.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Trail Issues? Please let me know.
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1, SB 1.9 SL
    Tarp
    BMJ, Custom Deluxe
    Insulation
    HG 3S Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    I'm in sales and this thread reminds me of lessons I've learned....

1. Under promise and over deliver - if you think it'll be ready in a week, tell the customer a week and a half.

2. Communicate - especially bad news. It's more important to communicate bad news quickly than it is to communicate good news.

Hammock
    Switchback 1.9DL
    Tarp
    10x12 TTTG CatCut
    Insulation
    PolarPod
    Suspension
    TTTG Ring Buckle
    Images
    I agree with everybody. I dropped the ball. It has happened a few times here lately and it really shouldn't have. I do truly apologize to all who have been affected.

We have been extremely busy trying to keep the orders moving as fast as possible. We have been swamped with orders all across the board, and keeping the shelves filled has been a real challenge. We will be updating the website tonight with the hammocks and quilts that are ready.

Cheers, Dale
    Beer won't solve problems, but then again, neither will milk !
    Designer of the Switchback Hammock
    Tree to Tree Trail Gear:http://tttrailgear.com

Hammock
    DW netless/JS Full net
    Tarp
    Hex
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 40
    Suspension
    Dutch buckle/strap
    There you go guys. Classy Dale. Hope it all works out for you. It took guts to jump into this thread.
    Look up before you hook up!!
    Originally Posted by body942
    Me big. Me like hammockgear burrow. Long. Problems no. People good.

Hammock
    WL Light Owl/Dangerbird
    Tarp
    WBBMJ Spinn+doors
    Insulation
    HammockGear Down!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Darby View Post
    I agree with everybody. I dropped the ball. It has happened a few times here lately and it really shouldn't have. I do truly apologize to all who have been affected.

We have been extremely busy trying to keep the orders moving as fast as possible. We have been swamped with orders all across the board, and keeping the shelves filled has been a real challenge. We will be updating the website tonight with the hammocks and quilts that are ready.

Cheers, Dale
    Never a doubt Dale. I'd come over and help out if I lived close. You make great gear.
    "One of the best things you can do in this world is take a nap in the woods." ~ Jayber Crow by Wendell Berry

"While it may be a lot of work, the view is best from the summit." ~ an anonymous staff member of Philmont Scout Ranch

Enjoy the day
    Shane

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast