Hammock
    home-made
    Tarp
    home-made
    Images

how to make an ENO-clone?

I was able to see an ENO hammock at a store last week and was really impressed, it looked great and I definitely thought it would be comfortable. Since I was in the middle of making two of my own hammocks, I figured that I shouldn't spend the money on a new hammock, though.

I am curious how they make their two-color hammocks. I saw the seam, but am afraid that if I tried the same it would end up ripping along the stitching. If I remember correctly, it was some sort of a rolled hem and triple-stitched. I didn't inspect it very closely, so I can't say too much. Are they just sewn high enough that the main weight of the body isn't on the stitching, or am I missing something?

For my next round of DIY's, I would like to make a dual color. I could purchase two different colors, and mine will have color A for the sides and B for the bottom, while my fiance's will have color B for the sides and A for the bottom. (She really liked the nicer colors, so I'll have to go with something besides $1 bin fabric, I suppose...)

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    if you buy your fabric other than the $1.00 bin, you may be better off just buying an ENO, considering the cost & the fact that they will do the seams & everything else for you<G>.
    besides, i really like the feel of the fabric they use, but i'm not sure that i've herd of anyone finding a source for it.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Images
    One thing that always concerned me on making one that style was the seem around that gathered ends.

Let us know if you come across a source for the gabric that they use.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    home-made
    Tarp
    home-made
    Images
    I hadn't actually considered trying to find a similar fabric (it is nice!) but using nylon from a "regular" supplier (Hobby Lobby had a few colors to choose from last time I was there). If it costs $6 a yard, and I need 4 yards of each color, that's $48 + tax) for two hammocks. I've already got a support system.

HE, I had sort of assumed that I would make more of a speer clone, since that's what my first hammocks are. I was just considering a better color combination, as opposed to the stealthy (which I like when not at a campground!) forest green and olive/greyish colors that we currently have.
    If I did decide to make more of the HAAB style, I think I would go with something along the lines of a modified style, like what is seen here, when headchange4u added an internal structural ridgeline to the Warbonnet El Dorado. I could make something along these lines, then tie my (currently) webbing just below the whipping.
    I might be missing something when trying to combine the two designs, but... who knows.

So for a short answer. I am more interested in the dual-color appearance than the style of the ENO. I'd have to try one out to see if it's worth making a more exact copy (I'm sure it is, they seem like great gear!)

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    that should work fine. i'd just be sure to take my time & do a really good job on those seams.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    I think if you were trying to make a HAAB/ENO clone, by using three panels of fabric, you could use a flat felled seam to join th panels together.

I would like to find that fabric that they use. In my talks with Ticket To The Moon hammocks I tried to get them to sell me some of the fabric.I asked a few times but they never addressed selling me the fabric in the replies. I took that as a subtle way of telling me that the fabric was not for sale by itself, at least from them.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

• + New Posts