SLD Streamliner in 1.9 Multicam
    Tarp
    Camo SF
    Insulation
    JRB MW4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Socks?

Okay, I have been looking over a few of these contraptions now for a few months. I am serious about purchasing a sock, but I want to know if I really need one. I have heard condensation is a big issue during colder times and I will primarily be using it during winter for the extra barrier.
    I have been looking at the Traveler Sock in Multicam from Warbonnet and I would also purchase the bugnet if I went this route. I think it would fit my SLD 9' Streamliner perfectly, but there are always those hidden issues you can't see from pictures.
    So, what are all you guys using and what are your thoughts?
    Check out my youtube channel. Vids about hammock camping, geocaching and outdoor fun.
    Adventures With Snide Tripod

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    Cold climate and socks did not work for me. I've been using a two part fleece cover draped over the ridge line for the past two winters. Bottom half covers from the end of the hammock to about my face. Top portion runs from there to the head end of the hammock.

Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Custom HNO Airship
    Insulation
    YETI UQ, UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    Hammock Anchors
    image.jpg

Here's a pic of my CF Camo winter sock with integrated tarp on the entry side. It works great and I have no condensation issues above what I would have with a normal tarp. I'll be posting a video review soon of a trip I took last weekend at the Fiery Gizzard trail in Tennessee. Sock was made by my good friend Hangnout. It's modeled after the airship Hangnout made for Medicine Man. G-Nut
    Ever eat a pine tree? Me neither...

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I have used my socks (from Warbonnet and Wilderness Logics) down to freezing with little to no condensation. I sleep very cold, and a sock does make a huge difference for me. If you sleep warm, it might not be such a big deal. For winter camping, canvas socks seem to be the way to go.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 XLC
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Loco Libre / JRB
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    I use a Dutch Argon sock. I could tell a huge difference with my winter setup. It will trap more body heat and give you a 10-15 degree boost. The ability to vent is a must to prevent condensation. I really have only used mine below freezing, when trying to stay a little warmer.

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Sil,
    Insulation
    3s Yeti
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    I have had LOTS of condensation on cold, still nights, especially camping in a damp area. But, if the wind is howling, they are can make a huge difference in staying warm. If it is calm, I just unzip mine a bit. It is still warmer than without even when unzipped (or otherwise opened). Mine is not windproof, but is more like a nylon windbreaker.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I became a sock convert after kayak camping on a point of land and having the wind change so it was no longer broadside to the tarp. Also when I was using a smaller tarp - that covered rain falling straight down, I found blowing rain comes in sideways. Also the extra warmth allows a longer "season" for your lighter gear. As far as condensation - you can get as much ventilation as you need by unzipping near your head (not all the way - experiment). If it is that cold, you'll probably be wearing a balaclava to keep your face warm and you can breath through that.

But now I am enjoying my Envy-S by Hammock. I "met" David when I bought one of his DIY hammock just before he started Hammock as a business. The quality was professional and I've watched his home business grow. The Envy-S has a bug net, that is removable, AND and internal top "liner" called a Peek-a-boo. It lives inside the netting and can also be completely removed - that is, tucked away. So you can cover as much or as little as you want. Even though a sock is not needed with the Envy-S (because it sort of has one built-in), I'd still use an under quilt protector. I find these add-ons allow for a less than optimum rigging - UQ doesn't have to be exactly, exactly right. It works for me because I usually camp alone and can't see if things are just the right tightness/looseness while I'm in the hammock.

Maybe if I rigged up the hammock and then put my pack in it - still loaded - that would add enough weight to check the fit of the UQ. But I haven't had any problems when using a sock or UQP.

• + New Posts