Tarp
    ZPacks and WB Edge
    Insulation
    Leighlo
    Suspension
    webbing, triglide
    Images

Question Convince me...

Someone tell me why a person should choose the Light Hiker at $190 and 23 7/8oz unrigged, over a BB 1.1DL at $175/ 24oz rigged. I am a bridge hammock user, but have been exploring the prospect of buying a full feature mosquito hammock as a secondary/friend hammock. I hear alot of good things about the Light Hiker and how comfortable it is. I also have heard alot of good about the blackbird, and my hiking buddy has one. So, I just want to know the positives that justify the extra cash and weight. Thanks in advance
    What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step. - C.S. Lewis

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by finskie View Post
    Someone tell me why a person should choose the Light Hiker at $190 and 23 7/8oz unrigged, over a BB 1.1DL at $175/ 24oz rigged. I am a bridge hammock user, but have been exploring the prospect of buying a full feature mosquito hammock as a secondary/friend hammock. I hear alot of good things about the Light Hiker and how comfortable it is. I also have heard alot of good about the blackbird, and my hiking buddy has one. So, I just want to know the positives that justify the extra cash and weight. Thanks in advance
    I am apparently in the minority since my experiences with a Switchback (similar but not identical to the Light Hiker) were very uncomfortable. I am a Warbonnet fan, owning two Blackbirds and Traveler. YMMV.

The general "wisdom" is that if weight matters, the WBBB is the hammock of choice. The weight of the two is quite close, however, so you get to choose. Order both. Try 'em on for size. Return the one that is the least satisfactory (in new condition, of course).
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    OK...I had a WBBB...sold it and bought a Switchback Classic 1.1 Dbl.

Reasons:
    1. Double zipper
    2. Ability to unzip entire netting and secure to non structural ridgeline.
    3.Tie outs attached to bottom part of hammock...not top. Netting and tie out lines in the WBBB were always in the way unless you got out of the hammock and removed the tie out.
    4.Tie outs on each side of hammock at opposite ends which facilitates a diagonal lie with no defined head/foot end.
    5.Ability to enter from either side.
    6. Two rather large interior pockets at each end.
    7. Sewn interior loops at each end to attach gear bags etc.
    8. No footbox....simply put...I didn't like it.
    9. No extra material hanging from netting which obscures view.
    10.You can sleep with head at either end.
    11. I found a good hang much easier to find with no calf/knee pressure.
    12. Ability to use a spreader bar which makes it cavernous feeling. (not necessary to use though)

I think that's about it. We have a Light Hiker sitting at the post office awaiting my return. (It's the wife's) I'm 6'2" and bought a Classic but if I like the Light Hiker, I may sell the Classic and buy one for myself in order to save a little weight. Even with the weight difference I still prefer the Switchback. BTW...my wife inherited the WBBB and made me order a Light Hiker after trying the WBBB a few times. Obviously many people love the WBBB...these are just my observations and decisions.

I do miss the shelf on the WBBB but the two large pockets and end loops are more than adequate.

Miguel
    Last edited by Miguel; 07-15-2011 at 21:30.

Hammock
    WL Light Owl/Dangerbird
    Tarp
    WBBMJ Spinn+doors
    Insulation
    HammockGear Down!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I like my TtTTG hammocks better than my 1.1 dbl WBBB because I can sleep on either side or on my back comfortably and there is zero calf ridge in them. I can not get comfortable on my side in the BB and I can not get rid of the calf ridge.

I also like the features Miguel pointed out, but for pure comfort I choose one of my TtTTG hammocks every time.
    "One of the best things you can do in this world is take a nap in the woods." ~ Jayber Crow by Wendell Berry

"While it may be a lot of work, the view is best from the summit." ~ an anonymous staff member of Philmont Scout Ranch

Enjoy the day
    Shane

Hammock
    GT UL Mod
    Tarp
    ZPacks and WB Edge
    Insulation
    Leighlo
    Suspension
    webbing, triglide
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Miguel View Post
    OK...I had a WBBB...sold it and bought a Switchback Classic 1.1 Dbl.

Reasons:
    1. Double zipper
    2. Ability to unzip entire netting and secure to non structural ridgeline.
    3.Tie outs attached to bottom part of hammock...not top. Netting and tie out lines in the WBBB were always in the way unless you got out of the hammock and removed the tie out.
    4.Tie outs on each side of hammock at opposite ends which facilitates a diagonal lie with no defined head/foot end.
    5.Ability to enter from either side.
    6. Two rather large interior pockets at each end.
    7. Sewn interior loops at each end to attach gear bags etc.
    8. No footbox....simply put...I didn't like it.
    9. No extra material hanging from netting which obscures view.
    10.You can sleep with head at either end.
    11. I found a good hang much easier to find with no calf/knee pressure.

I think that's about it. We have a Light Hiker sitting at the post office awaiting my return. (It's the wife's) I'm 6'2" and bought a Classic but if I like the Light Hiker, I may sell the Classic and buy one for myself in order to save a little weight. Even with the weight difference I still prefer the Switchback. BTW...my wife inherited the WBBB and made me order a Light Hiker after trying the WBBB a few times. Obviously many people love the WBBB...these are just my observations and decisions.

I do miss the shelf on the WBBB but the two large pockets and end loops are more than adequate.

Miguel
    Great Reply, but I have a question. The classic switchback has seperate attachment for the bugnet ridgeline to the tree, but the lighthiker seems to have the bugnet ridgeline attached to hammock... is that correct? I do not want another 2 lines i have too attach to the tree.
    What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step. - C.S. Lewis

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Great Reply, but I have a question. The classic switchback has seperate attachment for the bugnet ridgeline to the tree, but the lighthiker seems to have the bugnet ridgeline attached to hammock... is that correct? I do not want another 2 lines i have too attach to the tree.
    I haven't actually seen the LightHiker in person so I can't really say. The Classic has a bungee with a seperate thin line attached to it that is then tied to the tree, biner etc. I removed the seperate line and attach the bungee directly to the ridgeline of my tarp with a #0 Niteize. It just seems quicker for me. Of course that means I must use a tarp.

I'm sure someone with a LightHiker will chime in.

BTW...I in no way mean to imply the WBBB is not a great hammock. I understand it's the best selling hammock among Hammock Forum members. There's a reason for that. It just wasn't for me and apparently several other members that have recently switched.

Miguel

Images
    I wouldn't buy either of those for a guy your size I'd buy the
    Switchback - 1.9 Single Layer for $170 @ 22oz without tree straps
    or the wbbb 1.7 single at 25oz with line/straps for $160

IMO the LH is for peeps <5'8" with narrow shoulders.
    and there's no reason to carry a second layer of material on a wbbb unless you're messing with pads.

just my 2 cents
    I own a classic SB 1.9 single and a wbbb 1.1double and love them both.

I always connect my netting shockcord just above the marlinspike on the tree strap.

I think in this photo you can see what Miguel was talking about on how the netting is completely out
    of the way when tied up and your field of view around the hammock is awesome.

hth
    Last edited by OutandBack; 07-15-2011 at 21:56.

Hammock
    switchback, wbbb, clark ul
    Tarp
    oes standard/ultra
    Insulation
    jrb uq/ leighlo tq
    Suspension
    diy whoopiesling
    i have both the 1.1dbl switchback and a 1.0dbl wbbb, as someone who tosses and turns a lot when i sleep i find that the sb is easier to find a comfortable position,
    when i am laying left to right in the wbbb, it is amazingly comfortable, but otherwise , not so much.
    if i were a few inches shorter, i would go for a sblh, but at 6' i am worried that it may be too short for me.
    what i find now is that on extended trips ,where weight is my primary concern, i will use the wbbb with an oes standard and for short trips ,the sb with an oes custom ultra , again, if i where a few inches shorter i think the sblh with a deluxe tarp would be the ideal set up
    fyi, i sleep in a huge mayan hammock nightly and my switchback 1.1 dbl is every bit as comfortable, i don't think there is any way i could say that for the bb.
    as for the bug net lines , i have found that i can just attach them to the suspension lines with a mini biner and a prussic and it is very quick and easy to adjust them
    hope this helps

Hammock
    Lite Owl; Light Hiker
    Tarp
    Toxaway;MacCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Burrow; Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    My Light Hiker has two lines for the bug net ridgeline. I'm trying to follow how it would be connected to the hammock.

Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    IMO the LH is for peeps <5'8" with narrow shoulders.
    I must've missed where he mentioned his size. Regardless, I'm 6'1" and don't feel I have any problems in the Light Hiker. I sleep great.

I had a Hennessy before and I tried the BB. I didn't care for the shelf (I hated having my line of sight blocked) and found the SB a lot more comfortable. Then I ended up with the LH.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Trail Issues? Please let me know.
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB &amp; Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I have both a SB and WBBB. Since I am purely a side sleeper that also tosses and turns during the night, the SB is infinitely more comfortable to me. I happily carry the extra weight even though I am generally a gram weenie.

I am 6'1" and 200#. I have the double 1.9 SB Classic and the double 1.1 WBBB. Both are extremely well made hammocks and if I only slept on my back without moving, I would be packing the WBBB. Also, the SB Classic requires a longer tarp than the WBBB.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast