Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Oware 10x12
    Images
    I'm really liking the ways of hammocking. Ive hung it several times in different locations, elevating feet, try to get 30* angle, timed myself how fast I can setup my tarp, 35 minutes, maybe I should read up on snakeskins.
    Im using what I think is called a continuous RL? with 1.75 lash-it and a figure9.

I started to sleep in it last night but my neck got sore so I need to devise a proper hammocking pillow before I take it to the trail. Its good testing these things out in a forgiving area close to home.

I dont think the looping is a problem at all. The webbing is heavy duty compared to the tie down ratchet straps my partner uses. My tree huggers get twisted and folded, which also makes the toggle hang crooked, but as long as the whoopie is on the knot I dont think it matters if the knot is facing downward or sideways?

My hiking partner asked me to outfit him with a hammocking setup, he got the nano biners/skeeterbeeter/whoopies, the carabiners are pretty to look at and fun to use more than anything.
    Last edited by ippon; 08-06-2011 at 08:18.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Oware 10x12
    Images
    BTW, I'm using a 3/4 thermarest partially deflated, comfortable, but in the fall/winter probably wont be enough from what ive read. I'm looking at past topics about OQ/UQs, my 25* down sleeping bag unzipped should be good for the OQ.
    Has anyone rigged an UQ on their GTUL? How did you do it? Or this is such a thin, small hammock, its probably advisable to upgrade if I wanted to pair up with a good UQ?

Hammock
    1.1 Blackbird or Traveler SL
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti - all seasons
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SticksBlog View Post
    So, is this safe to do? Will this affect the life or holding power of the straps? I do have the biners, but for the sake of being lighter, I would rather not use them if threading them through the straps is a-ok.
    I use the same method. No problems yet. From my thinking the biner does the same thing that just threading through the loop does.

Save the weight for food is what I say!
    "If you give a monkey a gun and he shoots someone, you dont blame the monkey"

The end of the world is not coming in December, it is happening now in my living room. - TFC Rick

http://watermonkey.net/

Youtube Channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/RaulPerez1?feature=mhee

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Ultralight
    Tarp
    OES 8 x 10 Sil
    Insulation
    HG CF 20F Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Raul Perez View Post
    I use the same method. No problems yet. From my thinking the biner does the same thing that just threading through the loop does.

Save the weight for food is what I say!
    Awesome! Good to know. Thanks.
    Jus' Sayin'

Hammock
    Warbonnet El Dorado
    Tarp
    WL Tad Pole tarp
    Insulation
    Enlightened UQ
    So it looks to me like the easiest thing to do is: Whoopie sling attached directly to hammock through sewn channel, whoopie sling attached to tree hugger via marlinspike hitch, and an extra bit of string attached to the whoopie near the hammock end to prevent water running down onto me. Any better ideas or ways to make it even simpler and lighter, before I order stuff?
    Last edited by jbphilly; 08-06-2011 at 14:57.

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Sil,
    Insulation
    3s Yeti
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    I also use whoopies through the end channels. Whole kit including 5 foot tree straps, homemade wooden toggles, 6 foot whoopie slings, Adjustable ridgeline (92 inches is my comfort zone) stuff sack (used the one from my WB traveler, I like to use it better than the attached one) comes to 15 1/4 ounces. I could get it lighter using 4 foot whoopies (which I prefer) in dynaglide, but I am happy with what I am using. So far no problem with putting the whoopies directly through the channels.

Hammock
    DD Camping Hammock
    Tarp
    Cheap
    Suspension
    JRB Whoopie's
    The only reason I didn't run my whoopies through the channels is that the continuous loop I added gives me nearly an extra foot before the 6' whoopies goes on the d-ring so I have a bit more wiggle room in case I end up with tree's farther apart than normal plus the d-ring is a better water break than just a line.

Plus I'm lazy so tying the ridge line to the d-ring was fast and I can adjust it pretty quickly on the fly.

Hammock
    Warbonnet El Dorado
    Tarp
    WL Tad Pole tarp
    Insulation
    Enlightened UQ
    Just got some whoopie slings, tree straps and toggles from whoopieslings.com and set up for the first time. The conversion was ridiculously easy to do (ran the whoopie slings straight through the channel), as was setting up and adjusting the hammock. This stuff looks sort of intimidating online but once you have the things in your hands, it couldn't be easier. And after ditching those 5-foot ropes with knots in that came with the Ultralight Skeeter Beeter, I can hang off much bigger and further-apart trees than before. I wish I'd had this a while ago when hiking in Israel and trees close together were hard to find...

I'm wondering why none of the cottage-industry hammock makers uses Amsteel or whoopie slings as the stock suspension. If they teamed up with Stu and offered the suspension I just bought as the default, it seems like it would make a lot of noobs' lives easier, since everyone seems to end up switching to something like this anyhow. But maybe hammockers have too much of a need to tinker and that would deny them the opportunity...

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    Arrowhead Toxaway
    Insulation
    Wilderness Logics
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by ippon View Post
    BTW, I'm using a 3/4 thermarest partially deflated, comfortable, but in the fall/winter probably wont be enough from what ive read. I'm looking at past topics about OQ/UQs, my 25* down sleeping bag unzipped should be good for the OQ.
    Has anyone rigged an UQ on their GTUL? How did you do it? Or this is such a thin, small hammock, its probably advisable to upgrade if I wanted to pair up with a good UQ?
    I'm looking at the GTUL for ultralight summer stuff and a 25" Wally World pad is good for that. Adding a couple foam or Reflectix sections to cover from hips to shoulder helps. You can also use a Segmented Pad Extender or SPE to hold a 20" pad with side wings. I found the wider pad easier to live with.

An underquilt will work on the GTUL like any other gathered end hammock. The breathability of the fabric in cold wind is probably more of an issue.

You could get an undercover from 2QZQ and make Garlington Insulators. An undercover will block wind and add dead air space and acts as a suspension for the insulators. As with your suspension gear, it can transfer to other hammocks if you add to your hammock inventory

http://www.2qzqhammockhanger.com/ham...cessories.html
    http://www.garlington.biz/Ray/Hammoc.../Insulator.htm

Hammock
    Nano-7
    Tarp
    Grand Trunk 10x10
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    Hi, I am also fairly new to hammocks. I have a GT Nano 7 so it's almost the same thing. I use Dynaglide Whoopie slings double larksheaded directly through the hammock end channel. Then those are attached via toggle to my tree slings. The ridgeline is spliced to the whoopie slings. Very easily adjustable and light.

As for the UQ question, I have a Hammock Gear 3-season UQ. It works very nicely with my narrow Nano7. If anything, the fit is nicer than a wide hammock because the UQ covers almost the whole under body of the hammock.

Hope this helped.
    "You can fight, fight without ever winning,
    But you can never, ever win without a fight"
    -Rush

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123