Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Insulation
    Pad
    Thx guys, is there anywhere you can buy one on the web or do you have to make it? If you have a double layer hammock like the Blackbird would you still utilize the SPE in between the layers?

Insulation
    Pad
    Also, what's the difference between making a SPE or just buying a really wide close cell pad and cutting the wings in it so that it looks like the SPE's do? Not even sure if they make pads that wide...just a thought I had

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lundquistas View Post
    Thx guys, is there anywhere you can buy one on the web or do you have to make it? If you have a double layer hammock like the Blackbird would you still utilize the SPE in between the layers?
    Not likely- the only reason to do so would be if you didn't have a wide pad and wanted to use the wings. You will have to make one or find one used.

Also, what's the difference between making a SPE or just buying a really wide close cell pad and cutting the wings in it so that it looks like the SPE's do? Not even sure if they make pads that wide...just a thought I had
    They do make them plenty wide. And that will work. But if you don't have a pad pocket/double layer hammock, the SPE will make it much easier to keep the pad where you want it in the hammock. There might be less problems with condensation- I never had any anyway. You can save some weight by stuffing some clothes you have with you(instead of carrying CCF segments) into some of the wings rather than having a wider pad. If you are sure you will only sleep on the normal ( left) diagonal, you don't really need pads in the SPE rt shoulder segments.

Also, the SPE adds 3 or 4 oz. A double layer heavy duty ( 1.7 oz ) hammock might be 9 oz heavier than a single layer, though much less added with dbl layer 1.1.

But number one advantage compared to a wide pad, stacking the pads as thickly as needed, in full length/torso length combinations, and having everything stay put. I'm not sure how well stacked pads would work even inside a double layer hammock, but who knows? But nothing moves with an SPE.

Insulation
    Pad
    Gotcha, so it sounds like if i have a double layer hammock (which I would like to get) I don't really need a SPE pad. The rest of my gear is all pretty light so adding a few more ounces for a hammock that seems better to me isn't a big deal

Size of this spe pads

So what are the size numbers for this one. I do see the 20 inch center pad and the 5 inch side pads. OOPpps did I miss where it says how long the pads should be. also, is this mainly to help with the shoulders and hips or is it also needed in the legs?

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post

But number one advantage compared to a wide pad, stacking the pads as thickly as needed, in full length/torso length combinations, and having everything stay put. I'm not sure how well stacked pads would work even inside a double layer hammock, but who knows? But nothing moves with an SPE.
    An SPE/Thermarest in a Hennessy Expedition is about the most comfortable hammock setup I've found and I own a couple of underquilts. My daughter agrees also.

I've tried stacked evazote pads, it's a PITA, really.

Insulation
    Pad
    Any experiences backpacking with an SPE? Does it take up alot of extra room or do they pack pretty small?

Images
    Any experiences backpacking with an SPE? Does it take up alot of extra room or do they pack pretty small?
    I have taken one along. The SPE itself, being just a couple of torso size pieces of nylon sewn together to form a tube, takes up very little space. In fact, I'd say if it is left around the pads it is used with, it might increase the room the pads take up by a tiny percentage. The pads, of course, are a different story, taking up plenty of space.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12