Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 12x8 silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY IX UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Webbing

noobie hammock guy & ripstop question

Hello all, Great to join this forum!! I am new to hammock camping having not done it in 15 years, and then it was a $5 fishnet hammock that I didn't sleep in, just hung out in it when not sleeping on the ground under a tarp. With a backpacking trip in the near future (after 15 years ) I was inspired by Shugs 2 hours of instructional videos (thanks Shug!!) on youtube and I have my hammock made, bug net done, tarp ready and whoopie lines made! Having never slept in a hammock before I almost got a nap in today outside until the neighbor started mowing the lawn.

I sleep on my side (in a bed) and am wondering how I will do on my back for the first time...I have a nice Northface sleeping bag I will use as an over quilt and camping mat for underneath me.

Everything is DIY, netting is from fabric store (not real netting but only weights 3 oz).

Hammock is fabric store ripstop 11ft long...HELP with knowing what the weight of it is, what is the ripstop from the store if it doesn't say?

Tarp is a "coleman sunwall" that goes to a popup canopy, it was only $22 at Walmart and is 12' x 6' made of heavy nylon (finished weight is 28 oz ??! ) I had to silicone treat it 4:1 on body and 2:1 on ridge line and corners. the 4:1 works well. I had to reinforce all the corners and side pulls...would have been better to spend the extra $18 and buy ripstop from the fabric store but I am 220 pounds so I can handle an extra 10 or so ounces of extra weight.

1/8" whoopie slings (DIY as well) and webbing to go around the trees.

This forum has been a big help with my bug netting and tarp.

???? I am having issues getting sideways, I am 73" tall and heavy. I have a ridge line and have what seems like a good amount of sag in it but can't get sideways...any advise would be great. Does it even matter if I can get sideways...just want a good night sleep in the mountains of Colorado for my first backpacking trip in 15 years!!

Vince

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by vinnya42 View Post
    Hello all, Great to join this forum!! I am new to hammock camping having not done it in 15 years, and then it was a $5 fishnet hammock that I didn't sleep in, just hung out in it when not sleeping on the ground under a tarp. With a backpacking trip in the near future (after 15 years ) I was inspired by Shugs 2 hours of instructional videos (thanks Shug!!) on youtube and I have my hammock made, bug net done, tarp ready and whoopie lines made! Having never slept in a hammock before I almost got a nap in today outside until the neighbor started mowing the lawn.

I sleep on my side (in a bed) and am wondering how I will do on my back for the first time...I have a nice Northface sleeping bag I will use as an over quilt and camping mat for underneath me.

Everything is DIY, netting is from fabric store (not real netting but only weights 3 oz).

Hammock is fabric store ripstop 11ft long...HELP with knowing what the weight of it is, what is the ripstop from the store if it doesn't say?

Tarp is a "coleman sunwall" that goes to a popup canopy, it was only $22 at Walmart and is 12' x 6' made of heavy nylon (finished weight is 28 oz ??! ) I had to silicone treat it 4:1 on body and 2:1 on ridge line and corners. the 4:1 works well. I had to reinforce all the corners and side pulls...would have been better to spend the extra $18 and buy ripstop from the fabric store but I am 220 pounds so I can handle an extra 10 or so ounces of extra weight.

1/8" whoopie slings (DIY as well) and webbing to go around the trees.

This forum has been a big help with my bug netting and tarp.

???? I am having issues getting sideways, I am 73" tall and heavy. I have a ridge line and have what seems like a good amount of sag in it but can't get sideways...any advise would be great. Does it even matter if I can get sideways...just want a good night sleep in the mountains of Colorado for my first backpacking trip in 15 years!!

Vince
    Well Vince, it sounds like your all set up! If possible, I would definitely try a couple of over nighters at home to see how you do.
    With regards to getting flat, I have found a good amount of sag helpful. My ridgelines are all around 83% of the hammock length and I find the sag just right for me. If you really want the flatest lay, maybe see if you can make a bridge hammock. There is info around here and many helpful members to give tips. Have fun and travel safe!
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    1.9 oz DIY Speer Type
    Tarp
    DIY sil 10X12 camo
    Insulation
    Dwn SB/dwn DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Welcome to the forum! As far as the weight of the ripstop, its a little harder now that the hammock is made, but weigh some known size of the ripstop and divide that weight by the number of sq yds in that size piece you weighed. You should be laying more on a diagonal than sideways. In watching Shug's videos you should have noticed whenever he was laying in his hammock his head would be to one side of the ridgeline and his feet to the other. Some people lay more diagonal than others do. Maybe someone else will post with a diagram or picture that better explains what I am trying to say. Also you may want to get someone to take somepictures of you in your hammock that would better describe the problem you are having and we could help a little more!

Hammock
    Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 12x8 silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY IX UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Webbing
    Thanks guys....as far as weight goes I wanted to know if the fabric stores usually carry 1.1 oz or 1.7 oz? Whatever I bought is holds me well and seems to be holding up fine...just curious.

I will measure my ridgeline and see what percent I am....wait for it....my ridgeline is 120" or 90%.

I guess it isn't as saggy as I thought...I will have to put more sag in.

Vince
    Hang it high and God Bless!!

Vince

Hammock
    Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 12x8 silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY IX UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Webbing
    Wow...adding 10" of sag to my hammock made all the difference! I am now at about 110" or 83% of total and I can lay diagonally and it is a lot more comfortable?! I think I will stick with this for a while and see if I can nap in it tomorrow.

Thanks Yawl

Vince

Vince

Hammock
    Eno
    Tarp
    diy cat cut
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Fabric stores usually have the 1.9 ripstop.
    It's better to be lucky, than good!

Hammock
    Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 12x8 silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY IX UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Webbing
    thanks for that...so that is why is holds me so well.

Vince

Vince

• + New Posts