WARBONNET 1.1 DOUBLE, DIY BRIDGE
    Tarp
    DIY ARGON CAMO/BMJ
    Insulation
    DIY DOWN TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    STRAPS/BUCKLES

Colorado People, I'm Looking for Advice

the gf and i are planning on being in the independence pass area (10 miles east of aspen) the end of august for the pro cycling challenge and am wondering about campgrounds and places to hang in that area, i know there are some campgrounds in the area, but most only have a few spots and hard to find alot of info on them

just wondering if anybody knew anything about any of these and if hammocks were permitted, or if there any other spots i should be looking at in the area

difficult campground
    weller campground
    lincoln gulch campground
    lost man campground
    portal campground

thanks for the help

boot
    The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us. ~Bill Watterson

Hammock
    Clark NX-250, NX 270, D H Sparrow
    Tarp
    Clark XL, Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, UQ, LL UQ
    Suspension
    WS,straps,toggles
    Images
    Sorry no one has replied yet. Even though I'm close, I have no experience in the Aspen area. I studiously avoid it and the crowds of people that go with it. Have you tried a little serious "Googling" to try and find some campground information?
    Enjoy the cycle challenge and hope you can get some information.
    Love your enemies, but keep your gun oiled!

I am a CONCENTRATED vegetarian. I let the cows eat all the grass, and then I eat the cows!

Images
    Hi Boot,
    There are 3 campgrounds on the West side of Independence Pass heading down to Aspen. Of the ones you listed Lost Man is my favorite.
    It's the first one you'll come to heading west over the pass.
    They only have picnic table, outhouses and tent pads. THey fill up quick during events in town so I'd advise you arrive several days early.

Have a backup plan. As waddy suggests google camping around Aspen. August is peak tourist season in the Mtns.

There's no problem with hanging in the campgrounds.
    Many years ago I did get asked once to move my hammock.
    I was hanging from some aspens bellow Maroon Bells in Aspen and the ranger gave me the live skin tree lecture.
    I've never hung from aspens since.

If you have some free time take the bus ride up to the Maroon Bells and hike the trail along the lake.
    The wildflowers will be peaking and there will be 10's of thousands of hummingbirds.
    The gf will thank you for it.

Good luck and have fun at your bike event.
    Last edited by OutandBack; 07-28-2011 at 09:35.

The Beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota
    Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY ARGON CAMO/BMJ
    Insulation
    DIY DOWN TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    STRAPS/BUCKLES
    Quote Originally Posted by waddy View Post
    Have you tried a little serious "Googling" to try and find some campground information?
    yea i found the u.s forest service info on the campgrounds, just hard to find any first hand knowledge since the campgrounds are so small, did find a few reviews on "difficult campground" just because it's the largest of the ones i've looking at, 46 spots

Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    Hi Boot,
    There are 3 campgrounds on the West side of Independence Pass heading down to Aspen. Of the ones you listed Lost Man is my favorite.
    It's the first one you'll come to heading west over the pass.
    They only have picnic table, outhouses and tent pads. THey fill up quick during events in town so I'd advise you arrive several days early.

Have a backup plan. As waddy suggests google camping around Aspen. August is peak tourist season in the Mtns.

There's no problem with hanging in the campgrounds.
    Many years ago I did get asked once to move my hammock.
    I was hanging from some aspens bellow Maroon Bells in Aspen and the ranger gave me the live skin tree lecture.
    I've never hung from aspens since.

If you have some free time take the bus ride up to the Maroon Bells and hike the trail along the lake.
    The wildflowers will be peaking and there will be 10's of thousands of hummingbirds.
    The gf will thank you for it.

Good luck and have fun at your bike event.
    just the kind of info i was looking for, thanks Outandback

finding a place that will actually have a spot available with trees that will work is actually our biggest concern (i might actually pack a tent along ) gonna be there 2 days early on a monday, so hopefully......not really sure how big of turn out the event is going to cause, i'm guessing it's gonna be pretty good though, thanks again

boot
    The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us. ~Bill Watterson

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY ARGON CAMO/BMJ
    Insulation
    DIY DOWN TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    STRAPS/BUCKLES
    do either of you know what kind of rules colorado has about just finding a place in the middle of the woods in the national forests there, anything that is unusual or that might be different for the national forest lands up here?

boot

Hammock
    Clark NX-250, NX 270, D H Sparrow
    Tarp
    Clark XL, Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, UQ, LL UQ
    Suspension
    WS,straps,toggles
    Images
    I believe you're good to go there, the only caveat is to be aware of the fire ban regulations which may be in effect. There is also a limit on the time you remain camped in one place. Going from memory only here, 14 days comes to mind, but if you are considering a lengthy stay, you should make yourself aware of any time constraints.

We still have some breathing room here until a person gets into the very heavily used areas.
    Love your enemies, but keep your gun oiled!

I am a CONCENTRATED vegetarian. I let the cows eat all the grass, and then I eat the cows!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Boothill View Post
    do either of you know what kind of rules colorado has about just finding a place in the middle of the woods in the national forests there, anything that is unusual or that might be different for the national forest lands up here?

boot
    Hi boot,
    Camping rules in the NF are pretty much the same everywhere. In the Aspen area there is so much private land it can be hard to know if your still in the NF.
    Most trail heads will have safe parking and signs with specific rules. I would not recommend just parking along the road and walking into the woods.

Did that answer your question?

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY ARGON CAMO/BMJ
    Insulation
    DIY DOWN TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    STRAPS/BUCKLES
    Quote Originally Posted by waddy View Post
    I believe you're good to go there, the only caveat is to be aware of the fire ban regulations which may be in effect. There is also a limit on the time you remain camped in one place. Going from memory only here, 14 days comes to mind, but if you are considering a lengthy stay, you should make yourself aware of any time constraints.

We still have some breathing room here until a person gets into the very heavily used areas.
    sounds like the same rules we have here, thanks

Hi boot,
    Camping rules in the NF are pretty much the same everywhere. In the Aspen area there is so much private land it can be hard to know if your still in the NF.
    kinda thought the rules were the same everywhere, just thought maybe because is was in the "aspen" area, there might be something special......hate to say this, but since i perceive it as kind of an upity area there might be certain special rules.....and that's just from my own perception on the area and based on nothing else.....we actually have the same problem up here in the Black Hills and private land, a person needs to pay attention

Most trail heads will have safe parking and signs with specific rules. I would not recommend just parking along the road and walking into the woods.

Did that answer your question?
    would definitely be parking at a trail head if we go that route, thanks again guys

boot

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Boothill View Post

kinda thought the rules were the same everywhere, just thought maybe because is was in the "aspen" area, there might be something special......hate to say this, but since i perceive it as kind of an upity area there might be certain special rules.....and that's just from my own perception on the area and based on nothing else.....we actually have the same problem up here in the Black Hills and private land, a person needs to pay attention

boot
    Aspen is your typical high end mtn town. With tourist visiting from all over the world. The Maroon Bells and mtn town shopping being the summertime attraction and of course skiing in winter.
    The locals for the most part are quite nice it's the attitude of some tourist that makes it upity.

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY ARGON CAMO/BMJ
    Insulation
    DIY DOWN TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    STRAPS/BUCKLES
    Aspen is your typical high end mtn town. With tourist visiting from all over the world. The Maroon Bells and mtn town shopping being the summertime attraction and of course skiing in winter.
    The locals for the most part are quite nice it's the attitude of some tourist that makes it upity.
    yea the locals usually are pretty good people no matter where you go, it's us "tourists" that usually gum up the works

think we decided we're going to try and get a spot at either

lost man, portal or lincoln gulch, wish us luck finding a spot

boot

• + New Posts