Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Newbie -- Use a pad with HH Expedition

I know this is covered well somewhere, but the more searching I do, the overwhelmed I get. Then I get sidetracked with so much information.

I am new to hammocking, but have great ground gear.

I got a HH Expedition.
    It is a single layer, so if I use a pad, it is inside with me, that seems uncomfortable to me.
    I don't plan winter yet, so I would like to know how to make or buy something tat would hold a pad (or any insulation that works 3 season) to the underside of the hammock. If it would also work in winter, that may be an added bonus.

If you point me in the right direction, I will do my homework.

Ken in NC, where there are plenty of trees.

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Any insulation? As in down or synthetic?

Many, many to choose from my friend:

Hammock Gear underquilts - Phoenix and Incubator

Warbonnet Outdoors - Yeti's

Arrowhead Equipment - Flamethrower and KAQ (if I'm correct)

Tewa Underquilts

And many more that i have not mentioned that should be.

Otherwise, there are plans to make your own here as well as DIY military pncho liners etc.

Lucky you! Lots of choices.

Hope this helps.
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Thank you for the quick reply.
    I looked at all of those, and they don't have a product to hold a pad, just UQ.

I have been under the impression an UQ is only for cold weather.

Ken in NC

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Welcome aboard from Florida. Dragon 360 just about covered all the bases.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    "Holding a pad to the underside of the hammock" is exactly the premise behind the HHSS (Supershelter).

The supershelter works by having an 'outer shell' (the undercover) attached to the hammock. Inside that is an OCF pad, which also attaches to the hammock and is held up againt the underside of the hammock.

For added insulation and to act as a vapor barrier, it's recommended (strongly by most people) that you spread out an emergency mylar blanket on top of the pad, between it and the hammock.

Some people have had great success with this setup (I've used it down into the 30s with no problems at all) and others have not.

Just thought I'd mention it, as it seems to be along the lines of what you're describing.

Hammock
    HH Expedition + ukhammocks Woodsman
    Tarp
    HH Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    CCF Mat
    Suspension
    HH Exp. stock
    You can bodge your own supershelter by hanging a cheap 'leisure' hammock right under your HH and tightening up the suspension. You can put a pad, opened out spare bag etc. right in that spare hammock and it should work well if it's in contact with the HH.

Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post
    "Holding a pad to the underside of the hammock" is exactly the premise behind the HHSS (Supershelter).

The supershelter works by having an 'outer shell' (the undercover) attached to the hammock. Inside that is an OCF pad, which also attaches to the hammock and is held up againt the underside of the hammock.

For added insulation and to act as a vapor barrier, it's recommended (strongly by most people) that you spread out an emergency mylar blanket on top of the pad, between it and the hammock.

Some people have had great success with this setup (I've used it down into the 30s with no problems at all) and others have not.

Just thought I'd mention it, as it seems to be along the lines of what you're describing.
    Yes, that was what I thought.
    JRB said the weathersheild kit won't hold a pad without distorting and creating cold spots.
    I don't plan on using the hammock in winter, but, the more I read, and UQ could be used all year, and adjust the TQ or temp adjust.
    Does that seem right?

Right now I just want to insulate the bottom, so I can get out and try the hammock overnight.

Ken

Hammock
    HH, CJH NX-250, WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

JRB makes an underquilt designed for teh HH

with the slit entry.

IMO a JRB UQ or a HH SuperShelter would be the way to go if that is the entry you have.

If you have a zip model your choices are greater. Lots of UQs available from HF cottage industries that work well.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by snwcmpr View Post
    Yes, that was what I thought.
    JRB said the weathersheild kit won't hold a pad without distorting and creating cold spots.
    I don't plan on using the hammock in winter, but, the more I read, and UQ could be used all year, and adjust the TQ or temp adjust.
    Does that seem right?

Right now I just want to insulate the bottom, so I can get out and try the hammock overnight.

Ken
    IMO, you don't need anything more than a sleeping bag right now. I'm another newb to this hanging thing. I have a HH explorer deluxe and have been sleeping comfortably the past couple of nights outside with nothing more than a sleeping bag under me and around me a little. Just get out there and enjoy it! If you get cold, go inside.

There is SOOOOO much great info here, it can be easy to get distracted by the things you think you need vs. what you will discover what you need by experience. Enjoying the outdoors comfortably is what this is all about anyway, right?

Quote Originally Posted by secondechomatt View Post
    IMO, you don't need anything more than a sleeping bag right now. I'm another newb to this hanging thing. I have a HH explorer deluxe and have been sleeping comfortably the past couple of nights outside with nothing more than a sleeping bag under me and around me a little. Just get out there and enjoy it! If you get cold, go inside.

There is SOOOOO much great info here, it can be easy to get distracted by the things you think you need vs. what you will discover what you need by experience. Enjoying the outdoors comfortably is what this is all about anyway, right?

Thanks to all of you!!!!!

I got out the other night and slept in the yard.
    Hammock between the logs on the cabin and the peach tree.
    Sent a photo to a friend and he told me what I found out the hard way.
    "Shoulder Squeeze" is what happens when you set up between points too far apart without raising it enough.
    It was 22 ft.

I DID STAY WARM THOUGH!!!!
    I used my Prolite 3 and my WM Summerlite.
    Learned about what Shug said about the shoulders and thighs needing some foam, like the Speer pad and foam assembly.
    And the pad is better slightly less full than when using on the ground.

So, I will stay tonight in the back yard.
    Between the buckeye tree and the wood storage it is just over 12 ft.
    I don't get shoulder squeeze, so I will try it again, tonight.

I know enough about spending nights outdoors to not give up the first few times I try something.

Snow Camping:
    I learned first walking a few yards from the car and setting up camp.
    If something went wrong, I could go back to the car.
    Eventually I learned enough to stay warm anywhere.

Ken in NC

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast