Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogstar View Post
    I like to raise my angle of hang by 10 degrees or so when using my hammock as a chair. And yes, any hammock can be used as a chair, just some better than others and imo the key factor is the width of the hammock. The more material you have to play with the more laid back you can go.
    +1

One of these day's I'll publish some illustrations I've done showing some different ways to sit and lounge in a hammock. Just use your imagination and have some fun!

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by psilokan View Post
    Dunno about that. I have the HH side zip and found the internal ridge line to be the show stopper. When sitting in it I was forced to let the ridgeline press into the back of my neck or duck my head under it. Just found it to be really awkward. Was thinking of researching whether it was a load bearing ridgeline or not (I dont think it is) and then modding it so it can be taken down if needed.
    Haven't had any problems with mine in that department, but it may be due to using the ginormous HH Explorer Ultralight rather than the Expedition model. Also, I tend to lounge back in it (ducking under the ridgeline) and tuck my legs into a modified cross-legged position rather than trying to sit upright. If I leave my legs dangling out, the zipper tends to bite into the backs of my knees. Note that this can be avoided just by folding the fabric over on itself there, but if I fall asleep in this position--which has happened more often than not--I usually wake up with uncomfortable legs where the fold has worked itself out.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DBL
    Tarp
    DIY Tyvek Edge
    Insulation
    LeighLo FL UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Just sat and played cars with my wife this weekend in our hammocks. She was in a HH and I was in my BB. She looked at me sitting comfortably and wondered what she was doing wrong. Her butt was too far into the middle of the hammock, I was on the edge. This changes the angle of your legs and weight distribution and puts you in better sitting position. You can sit in them all I think, even with a ridgeline. You just have to experiment to get in the right positions.

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dukedante View Post
    ...I was on the edge. This changes the angle of your legs and weight distribution and puts you in better sitting position....
    This is a good point and observation. The edges of end-gathered hammocks are tighter than the middle, and this is where to sit (not in the middle). You can pull the edges in a foot (30 cm) and get a nice firm chair seat.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12