Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Modified ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Wally World DIYer
    Suspension
    DIY Treehuggers

Need some input concerning hanging from a luggage rack

Basically, I am interested in the idea of strapping one end of my suspension to the roof rack of my xterra (obviously the other end would be strapped to a tree or a pole or what have you) when the rare occasion arises that it might be convenient to do so-such as testing things out in my very tree-poor neighborhood.

My concern is damaging my vehicle as I weigh ~230 lbs. and I don't really know the math and specifications well enough to determine whether or not this would be safe. Does anyone have any advice or experience here that I might find useful?

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Luggage racks are generally a no-no, there have been a number of them break or even rip right off of vehicles. However going around the door frame is considered to be ok. Racks just are not normally built to take the load that way.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by alphaskin7 View Post
    Basically, I am interested in the idea of strapping one end of my suspension to the roof rack of my xterra (obviously the other end would be strapped to a tree or a pole or what have you) when the rare occasion arises that it might be convenient to do so-such as testing things out in my very tree-poor neighborhood.

My concern is damaging my vehicle as I weigh ~230 lbs. and I don't really know the math and specifications well enough to determine whether or not this would be safe. Does anyone have any advice or experience here that I might find useful?
    I wish I had the link but ive seen someone hang off of there cherokee, Id also have to ask about if this is going on the stock roof rack or an aftermarket one. because im pretty sure my weight limit for my aftermarket rola rack is not alot. but I could be wrong. stock rack rails might be a bit more secure but im not 100%
    Dale Gribble: I'm thinking, "new hammock." For me, laying and swaying in a hammock is like a steady morphine drip without the risk of renal failure.

Randy : yea but just remember yer roots and where ya come from....you got Hennessy in yer blood son......

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I tie to the top hinges of the rear hatch of my Trailblazer fairly regularly, but I wouldn't dare tie to the roof rack. Those things are just superficially attached.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Modified ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Wally World DIYer
    Suspension
    DIY Treehuggers
    Quote Originally Posted by pgibson View Post
    Luggage racks are generally a no-no, there have been a number of them break or even rip right off of vehicles. However going around the door frame is considered to be ok. Racks just are not normally built to take the load that way.
    Bare with me as I am having a bit of trouble picturing the door frame setup. Would I simply roll down both windows on one side and wrap through like one would on a tree or post?

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Bare with me as I am having a bit of trouble picturing the door frame setup. Would I simply roll down both windows on one side and wrap through like one would on a tree or post?
    That's how I have seen it done a few times....that or even going around the far door and then over the roof.....I'll see if I can find a picture.....
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    That, or open both doors, pass your webbing around the "B" pillar, and close the doors.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings

Here is one way by DBLhammock

That's the only one that I found quick but I know there are lots of others.

Hammock
    HH BU
    Tarp
    HH Typhoon
    Insulation
    I just suck it up
    Suspension
    HH
    If you are going to attach to a door frame attach it to the far door so that the load is pulling into the car's body. Otherwise you WILL damage the door, possibly to the point of needing the door replaced.

An xterra has a beefier roof rack than say, an average minivan, but using any roof rack is not a good idea at all IMO.

A rear spare tire carrier or as previously mentioned a rear hatch hinge would be strong enough. Though I'd be a little leery of square edges on a hinge.

Hammock
    HH BU
    Tarp
    HH Typhoon
    Insulation
    I just suck it up
    Suspension
    HH
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    That, or open both doors, pass your webbing around the "B" pillar, and close the doors.
    Another great option. Probably the best

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast