in regards to a "double layer thingy...i made one... it was a super cheap alternative to an underquilt, that i made the night before a long cold winter backpacking trip. It was basically..... a bottom shell of nylon that i sewed little 1" pieces of velcro spaced around the edges. Then i took a cheap space blanket and reinforced areas with packing tape corresponding to the velcro on the shell, and put "sticky side velcro" on the reinforced areas. It made it so the space blanket was attached adequately to the shell, but removeable if i decided the VP was too annoying. Then i took an old sleeping bag and cut a 48"x26" chunk out of it... i then used 6 big safety pins to attach to the shell outer seam. I attached the shell via simple channels in the ends that i had elastic ribbon running through, which i just hooked onto the suspension of my hammock. There was a good amount of air between the sleeping bag and the shell/space blanket, like 3 inches. it did and excelent job of keeping me warm and the temps dropped down to 11 degrees F. with a light breeze.
Anyway, this system worked very well, but it was because of the space blanket being away from the sleeping bag. it weighed a TON! like 59oz, and i would have probly been fine in any of the high quality uq's out there....which weigh much less...

Quote Originally Posted by DaleW View Post
I rest my case

I am VERY pleased it works for you. But "works" and well designed can be very different things. Many manufacturers have done wonderful things with the main hammock bodies and the top quilts and tarps meld well. The integrated bug screens aren't bad, although some of the add-on ones are a little half-baked, but the insulation thing is just sad--- very, very sad. I think it can be done better.

I guess I'll have to learn to sew and show you guys how to get things done
like i have said when debating too much about what is the best way, or how to do it, or what problems will it have; when making many hammocking gear items...Just GRIP IT AND RIP IT!!! (not meant literally, dont rip your stuff up) But for a lot of things, you are not going to know what the issues are until it is made, and tested...grip it and rip it
-Dan