DIY Hennessey Clone
    Tarp
    Camo Guide Gear
    Insulation
    Thermorest Pad
    Suspension
    Dutch clips

Questions about Roan Mountain

Hi all, I've been doing an accelerated master's degree program so I haven't had much time to be online, or hammock but - I have a break in August and want to do some hiking.

Planning on heading over to the Roan Mountain area and hike some of the AT, but I can't seem to find any decent maps online. Before I buy the Nat Geo map of the area are there any guidebooks/maps that are better?

I am looking to hike for about 3 days since I haven't had any time to train with my husband and brother and our dog. My brother will be tent camping. I would like to know how the water is in the area and good parking spots. I have read that parking in Carvers Gap is safe but I need a second spot for the other car.

Are there any sections of the trail that are just so awesome we cannot miss it?

Initially we were going to hike Mt. Rogers but I don't think our muscles are up for the distance we want to hike there - we are saving that for the spring so I can see the baby ponies.
    As you grow older, you'll find the only things you regret are the things you didn't do. ~Ernest Hemmingway

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    My idea would be to leave a car and Carver's Gap and a car at Dennis Cove Road. Both are very safe parking areas, just don't leave anything in your car to tempt anyone. That gives you 39.4 miles to cover, including the balds in the Highlands, a couple of great waterfalls (Jones Falls and Mountaineer Falls), tons of options for camping and good water sources when I was through that way a few weeks ago. Definitely a good hike, IMO. Good luck!
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    DIY Hennessey Clone
    Tarp
    Camo Guide Gear
    Insulation
    Thermorest Pad
    Suspension
    Dutch clips
    Thanks for the info, especially about the waterfalls! Can't wait to head out!
    As you grow older, you'll find the only things you regret are the things you didn't do. ~Ernest Hemmingway

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Krissa View Post
    Thanks for the info, especially about the waterfalls! Can't wait to head out!
    Both falls are great places to take a lunch break, cool off and just take it easy for a bit. Although there are no established campsites at Jones Falls, it would be a great place to hang for the night. There are campsites and a shelter (no privy) in close proximity to Moutaineer Falls. I hope y'all have a wonderful hike and make sure you post a trip report with pics so I can relive it.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    I know Medicine Man and LDCakes live just up the road from that area and hike there a lot. I'm sure one of them will chime in shortly.

Hammock
    BlackBird dbl 1.1+Dutchware
    Tarp
    SuperFly+Dutchware
    Insulation
    HG & Mamba
    Suspension
    Straps+Dutchware
    Images
    Great hike. Watch for popup afternoon thunderstorms- you have some exposure up there on the balds..not good if you hit lightning & high winds. It is always cooler up there..even in August. Climbing up Roan is a workout for us weekenders. Carvers gap all the way to Lake Watagua (northbound) is nice. Enjoy.

Hammock
    DIY Hennessey Clone
    Tarp
    Camo Guide Gear
    Insulation
    Thermorest Pad
    Suspension
    Dutch clips
    Any suggestions for shuttles in the area? Do shuttle services normally take dogs? We have never used a shuttle service before so I would like some suggestions.

I'm also having trouble finding Dennis Cove Road on Google Maps, it finds one but it is far away from the trail. Is it along the trail towards Iron Mountain or towards Big Hump?

I'm purchasing the Nat Geo map of the area tonight, its sad because I have every map in the area but the one I need.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    If you're going to leave a car at Dennis Cove Road, I'd look at trying to get a shuttle from Bob Peoples at Kincora Hostel. The number to the hostel is (423) 725-4409. Bob's one of the best trail providers and maintainers around. If he can't shuttle you, he can most certainly put you in touch with someone who can. Ask about dogs before you book your shuttle. Most shuttlers are ok with them, but better safe than sorry.

Finding Dennis Cove Road is easy, it's right outside of Hampton, TN. Just get to Hampton and ask any local where it is, super easy to get to. The AT crosses the road 0.2 miles past Kincora. Good luck!

Hammock
    DIY Hennessey Clone
    Tarp
    Camo Guide Gear
    Insulation
    Thermorest Pad
    Suspension
    Dutch clips
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
    If you're going to leave a car at Dennis Cove Road, I'd look at trying to get a shuttle from Bob Peoples at Kincora Hostel.
    Thanks so much, you are the second person I've seen recommending Bob so I feel better about giving him a call!

One more thing, should we drive to Dennis Cove and call for a shuttle to Carvers Gap and then hike towards our car? Oh, and how much do shuttle drivers normally charge and do they normally get a tip? Since I'm new at this shuttling stuff I want to make sure they are getting the proper compensation.

Oh, and my husband was surprised at how fast people responded to my post - he said you all must be really nice people on the forum.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Thanks so much, you are the second person I've seen recommending Bob so I feel better about giving him a call!

One more thing, should we drive to Dennis Cove and call for a shuttle to Carvers Gap and then hike towards our car? Oh, and how much do shuttle drivers normally charge and do they normally get a tip? Since I'm new at this shuttling stuff I want to make sure they are getting the proper compensation.
    Arrange your shuttle well in advance, definitely. It gives you more options, especialy if Bob isn't available. Anyone he recommends will probably be very trustworthy. In general, you can plan on paying about $1/mile for a shuttle, but prices vary by shuttler, depending on time of day, shuttles on short notice, etc. Make sure you let the person you book your shuttle with know up front that you have a dog, some charge a few bucks extra for them. A tip is completely up to you. I usually tip my shuttle drivers, unless it's a buddy of mine. Then I just buy 'em a beer later on.

I would definitely hike from Carver's Gap to your car at Dennis Cove Road, less climbing that way, although there will still be a fair amount of it, but it's all totally worth it. Great hike! The balds in the Highlands are the most beautiful section of the trail south of the Whites in NH.

Oh, and my husband was surprised at how fast people responded to my post - he said you all must be really nice people on the forum.
    Nope, just really bored.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast