Dutch Half-Wit NylonD 1.0
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    HG TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Kevlar
    Images
    I've got a story that is probably as close as one can get without being physically harmed.

Myself and two buddies were on a month long road trip out west to climb and, well, see the west! We were staying in the Tuolumne Meadows campground in Yosemite. The night before, we had stayed up late, chatting around the camp fire about the meaning of life and other philosophical nonsense. That next morning, sometime just after the sun had come up (maybe 5-6am ish?), we were all fast asleep in our warm sleeping bags. It was quite cold out, and the last thing any of us wanted to do was get up that early.

So I'm lying there, fast asleep in my hammock (a Byer Moskito Traveler at the time), when I hear something. I'm still half asleep, and can't quite make out what it is, but it's loud, and I want it to stop. Finally I wake up a bit more as the noise keeps persisting, and it is the voice of a man yelling. I start to listen to what he is saying... "Beeaaaarrr! Go away, Bear! Bear! Go away!" As soon as those words hit home, my internal monologe went, "Ughhhh. I'm tired. Craaaaaappppp." I peek my head around the tarp and see my one buddy fast asleep. He didn't have a tarp over his hammock, because he didn't expect rain. Well now, he is being rained on with small sticks and bark! This is enough to wake him up, and he looks straight up, then down to me, and asks, "Is there a bear in my tree?" I, being the lazy, tired bum I am, responded with, "I don't want to get up..." My third friend is awake now as well, and says, "What bumped me!?"

Well finally, we all get out of our hammocks and walk away from the campsite. A man had scared a black bear and its cub out of his campsite into ours, at which point it bumped my one friend, and then climbed the tree that they were sharing in their hang. After about an hour, it finally came down and went away, and all was fine, but man, was that an interesting morning.

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss Double
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Baby Orca IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Reminds me of a Boy Scout summer camp experience many moons ago. Long before I'd even heard of hammock camping.

We canoed across the lake to spend the night as a troop sleeping out under the stars. Stars never materialized, but buckets of rain did. All of us drenched to the bone. The lucky ones had some shelter under tipped up canoes, the rest of us were just lying out on the ground in waterlogged sleeping bags. Strange as it may seem, we slept in that mess.

Some time during the wee hours of the morning, I stir enough to stretch out in my bag. Suddenly, I'm wide awake, as my toe bumps into something slender and scaley. My mind snaps into hyperdrive, as I weigh the options of either making a break for it (though what happens if I don't get all the way out of the bag??!!), or to continue lying there as still as can be (Oh the mental agony!).

I opt for the latter, and presently, I sense a stirring, then a brushing along my back, as the fellow silently leaves his warm nest. Once he departed, the adrenaline diminished and I closed my eyes and slept until dawn (how did I ever do that?!).

Never saw him, so can't tell you what he was, though likely was either a Copperhead or Water Moccasin.

Still sends shivers up my spine, as well as for those I've told this story to over the years.
    ol' daddy

Hammock
    ENO double
    Suspension
    Whoopie&TreeStraps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pipsissewa View Post
    OK--I had to search Google Images for a cow ant. NW, I"M GING T HAVE NIGHTMARES!!!!
    Me too yikes....this deserves an image link

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 Dbl
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Mt. Washington 3
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by TheHangingTechy View Post

Me too yikes....this deserves an image link

So that is a Cow Ant... I saw one last weekend at my dad's house. I started to let it crawl onto my hand Glad I didn't!
    Tim
    I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be. ~ Douglas Adams

We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Both the Cow Ant and the snakes in the sleeping bag stories creep me out. I'll stay up north with the bears thanks.
    Bill
    bear friendly
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    Once I awoke in the middle of the night due to "someone" pushing on my shoulder. As I awoke I heard loud "sniffing". After I mumbled a few expletives the creature lumbered off. I immediately fell back asleep. The next AM, the gentlemen in the site next to mine asked if I saw the bear that was exploring the area. I never did see it, I told them, but I felt it and heard it.

A different time, a very quiet still night, just before I fell asleep I heard a strange noice below me. I stayed still and listened to the "crunching" for a while. It was very faint but obvious. After a few minutes my curiosity go the best of me and I switched over to my stomach with my face pointing down and outside my hammock. I slowly got accustomed to the night light. The sound came again and i saw a small leaf moving just below my face. I reached down and moved the leaf and there was a worm digging his was up from the soil into the leaf litter.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    SUPERFLY!!!
    Insulation
    No Sniv & Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by ol' daddy View Post
    Reminds me of a Boy Scout summer camp experience many moons ago. Long before I'd even heard of hammock camping.

We canoed across the lake to spend the night as a troop sleeping out under the stars. Stars never materialized, but buckets of rain did. All of us drenched to the bone. The lucky ones had some shelter under tipped up canoes, the rest of us were just lying out on the ground in waterlogged sleeping bags. Strange as it may seem, we slept in that mess.

Some time during the wee hours of the morning, I stir enough to stretch out in my bag. Suddenly, I'm wide awake, as my toe bumps into something slender and scaley. My mind snaps into hyperdrive, as I weigh the options of either making a break for it (though what happens if I don't get all the way out of the bag??!!), or to continue lying there as still as can be (Oh the mental agony!).

I opt for the latter, and presently, I sense a stirring, then a brushing along my back, as the fellow silently leaves his warm nest. Once he departed, the adrenaline diminished and I closed my eyes and slept until dawn (how did I ever do that?!).

Never saw him, so can't tell you what he was, though likely was either a Copperhead or Water Moccasin.

Still sends shivers up my spine, as well as for those I've told this story to over the years.
    Last weekend a buddy and I just about stepped on a timber rattler on the trail and later that night I had a dream about that **** snake visiting me that resembles your experience. The dream was enough to get me to the privy asap, so I can just imagine what it was like with a real one in the hammock!

A week ago I was hiking on the AT in Georgia! I was asleep in my hammock on top of Blue Mountain when something woke me. I could hear something sniffling beneath my hammock! My first thought was "What if its a skunk?" I kept very still until I suddenly felt something rub up against my back! I shot straight up! Skunk or no skunk! Never did see whatever it was. I must have scared it as much as it scared me! Even so I must admit I had a little trouble getting back to sleep!

Hammock
    BlackBird dbl 1.1+Dutchware
    Tarp
    SuperFly+Dutchware
    Insulation
    HG & Mamba
    Suspension
    Straps+Dutchware
    Images

Last weekend at Raystown

We had a site at Seven Points campground/Marina. Hung at back of site. Laid down to go to sleep..almost out and I hear the tell tale sound of a critter working it's way into our campsite. I heard it come under me, I peered out to see the business end of a large skunk about 2 feet from my face. I just rolled over hoping not to get "skunked". Later that night I awoke again to a critter smelling me really close to my ears... We have seen skunks almost every time we have camped there. To say the least, the next night I put I ear plugs in right away and slept like a baby...

Hammock
    warbonnet BB 1.1 single layer
    Tarp
    Zpacks cuben fiber
    Insulation
    cottage down
    Suspension
    whoopie, Flyz, CRL
    Quote Originally Posted by DuctTape View Post
    Once I awoke in the middle of the night due to "someone" pushing on my shoulder. As I awoke I heard loud "sniffing". After I mumbled a few expletives the creature lumbered off. I immediately fell back asleep. The next AM, the gentlemen in the site next to mine asked if I saw the bear that was exploring the area. I never did see it, I told them, but I felt it and heard it.

A different time, a very quiet still night, just before I fell asleep I heard a strange noice below me. I stayed still and listened to the "crunching" for a while. It was very faint but obvious. After a few minutes my curiosity go the best of me and I switched over to my stomach with my face pointing down and outside my hammock. I slowly got accustomed to the night light. The sound came again and i saw a small leaf moving just below my face. I reached down and moved the leaf and there was a worm digging his was up from the soil into the leaf litter.
    lovely. creatures great and small.
    who learns will love and not destroy
    the creature's life, the flower's joy

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast