Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben fiber
    Insulation
    DYI UQ/TQ Down
    Suspension
    whoopee sling
    It would be $400 if you DIY. That would be 3 panels then you have 13.5 feet wide x 11 ft. long. Any thing you cut off 13.5 side would be wast.

Hammock
    1.1 Blackbird or Traveler SL
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti - all seasons
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    Just to keep this on topic... Stormcrow and Thorwren I am interested.
    "If you give a monkey a gun and he shoots someone, you dont blame the monkey"

The end of the world is not coming in December, it is happening now in my living room. - TFC Rick

http://watermonkey.net/

Youtube Channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/RaulPerez1?feature=mhee

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Ok Adam, it is time to get off your duff and make that winter cuben tarp. YOur adoring fans await you. Now hop to it birdboy.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl.
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Raul... Adam (stormcrow) is doing 4 Season (4 Doors) Cat Cut Cuben for me. Ridgeline 10' 10" x 10 wide. Should arrive mid August. I'll post photos when it arrives.

Hammock
    Traveler 1.1 sl/WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/Standard
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Dynaglide whoopies
    Images
    Raul, 8.5' wide is only 8" shorter per side, with the cat cuts excluded, do you think that would not be wide enough for when the fluries come down? Or do you just want more play room? When I pick up my UQ I want to talk to Adam about making a 10'10" x 7' rectangle for 3 season, and dare I say, winter! I'd still use my superfly for true winter and hopefully eventually get a winter cuben tarp.

Raul, the shelf is gangsta. If eazy e were still alive and became an outdoorsman with a hammock preferance. I'm certain he'd use a custom gold blackbird with gold chain link as the suspension, dbl 1.7 fo da ladies. With the traveler maybe consider a gear pocket organizer, 2oz and way more room than the shelf. I can fit all my gear not being used in it. If made for 1.1 or cuben it would be much lighter.

Hammock
    1.1 Blackbird or Traveler SL
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti - all seasons
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    I like the wider tarp to battle the winter winds. I'd like to get the tarp as close to the ground as possible. My BMJ tarp was pretty good (not as good as the superfly) but good so I wanted something in comparison to that. It was 10ft wide.

Cuben doesn't need a cat cut to keep it taut. The material has little stretch if any.
    "If you give a monkey a gun and he shoots someone, you dont blame the monkey"

The end of the world is not coming in December, it is happening now in my living room. - TFC Rick

http://watermonkey.net/

Youtube Channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/RaulPerez1?feature=mhee

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    100% Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Raul Perez View Post
    Hey Stormcrow and Thorwren,

I know a few of us expressed an interest in a wider cuben tarp for winter time.

Stormcrow mentioned he was going to mess around with it and possibly come up with a design.

Just wondering if you guys had worked that out.... Point being I'm ready to drop some bills on your design

Raul
    Yep I am making them. I posted that I would not mind doing something like that in another thread but I never got around to putting it on the website because, frankly, the cat cuts with the extra TWO seams is a lot of work for the amount I was charging...lol.

I was basically only charging for the the extra fabric but the bonding process for those long seams (3 total for extra wide) has to be done just right to keep things even. Anyway, the results are great but I am not sure how cost effective it is. But, I guess I have historically been a frugal one.

My wider tarps actually has 4 panels instead of 3. The reason is that I want to keep one of the seams on the ridgeline. The extra fabric there helps make a nice ridge line IMHO.

Pm me Raul and we can discuss some dimensions and prices if you want...

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    Ok Adam, it is time to get off your duff and make that winter cuben tarp. YOur adoring fans await you. Now hop to it birdboy.
    Adoring fans? Not sure about that...Custom orders are weighing on me these days but there might be a light at the end of the tunnel soon...

Quote Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
    Raul... Adam (stormcrow) is doing 4 Season (4 Doors) Cat Cut Cuben for me. Ridgeline 10' 10" x 10 wide. Should arrive mid August. I'll post photos when it arrives.
    Yep, Your tarp will be up on the table very soon. I think you just might love it as much as I do!

Quote Originally Posted by Raul Perez View Post
    I like the wider tarp to battle the winter winds. I'd like to get the tarp as close to the ground as possible. My BMJ tarp was pretty good (not as good as the superfly) but good so I wanted something in comparison to that. It was 10ft wide.

Cuben doesn't need a cat cut to keep it taut. The material has little stretch if any.
    I really do wish they made a wider roll of CF3 material. It WOULD make for a nicer wide tarp for winter. I am personally ok with the current dimensions of 8.5 but I do get a lot of people wanting 10ft wide.

As far as Cuben not needing a cat cut. I think it does need a little. I have used both with and without and I seem to get a tighter pitch when there is a little caternary curve thrown in. I will agree that it does not need to be as deep as Silnylon might require. YMMV of course.
    Owner/Founder at Hammockgear.com - Hammock Camping Outfitters
    Home of the Burrow, the Incubator, and the Phoenix

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stormcrow View Post

As far as Cuben not needing a cat cut. I think it does need a little. I have used both with and without and I seem to get a tighter pitch when there is a little caternary curve thrown in. I will agree that it does not need to be as deep as Silnylon might require. YMMV of course.
    Adam, my experiments with my 9' x 11' tarp lead me to agree with you on that. However, I haven't added a cat cut to my tarp ridge (and may not) because using a ridge line under the tarp is enough to make it work well for me. I did add small cat cuts to all my edges and switched to only 3 tie-out points on each edge (center and 2 corners). If I were to start from scratch I would use 3 panels of CTF3 about 4.5 meters long (14.7 feet long, i.e. - half of a 9 m. panel) to make a tarp about 11 ft x 14 ft 6 inches. No waste that way, and it might be big enough to make one of FourDogs' nifty winter shelters. I'd use the aluminized cuben for two of the panels. (It would hang with the 11' dimension as the ridge. Using the .81 oz/sq. yd. stuff, it would still weigh less than a pound (14.35 oz without tie-outs).

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    100% Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    Adam, my experiments with my 9' x 11' tarp lead me to agree with you on that. However, I haven't added a cat cut to my tarp ridge (and may not) because using a ridge line under the tarp is enough to make it work well for me. I did add small cat cuts to all my edges and switched to only 3 tie-out points on each edge (center and 2 corners). If I were to start from scratch I would use 3 panels of CTF3 about 4.5 meters long (14.7 feet long, i.e. - half of a 9 m. panel) to make a tarp about 11 ft x 14 ft 6 inches. No waste that way, and it might be big enough to make one of FourDogs' nifty winter shelters. I'd use the aluminized cuben for two of the panels. (It would hang with the 11' dimension as the ridge. Using the .81 oz/sq. yd. stuff, it would still weigh less than a pound (14.35 oz without tie-outs).
    Goodness that WOULD be a sweet setup indeed. I might have to make something like that for the shock value alone...

I have never really used an under the tarp ridge line but I can see its benefits. One concern I might have would be abrasion between the cord material and the cuben fiber. I make most of my tarps from the CT1K.08 material which does not have a very thick Mylar. I would have the most concern for the areas at the end of the ridge line where the cord leaves the tarp to attach to the tree. This could be somewhat remedied by laminating some reinforcement pieces there but it still leaves the length of the ridge line with some vulnerability to abrasion cause by movement (trees blowing in the wind and such). Using a thicker fabric, with thicker Mylar, might help this issue considerably. There would be a weight penalty but...

I am going to have to try some of this aluminized Cuben....

Did you 11" ridgeline tarp have doors? With only three tie outs per side, it seems like there would be no way to make doors on the ends....But, I might have read your post wrong.
    Owner/Founder at Hammockgear.com - Hammock Camping Outfitters
    Home of the Burrow, the Incubator, and the Phoenix

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    @Stormcrow:
    My tarp used to have 4 tieouts on the long edges, so it could be pitched like this[IMG][/IMG]
    I seldom pitched it like that, though, and I like fewer guy lines. I also wanted to be able to rotate it 90° for my right angle hammock and I needed center tieouts on the long sides, so I added the center tie-outs and removed the other two on each side (in the process of adding cat cuts to the edges).

So far, no problems with ridge line abrasion with CT0.6K.08, but I agree that the .08 laminate is mighty thin. The aluminized stuff I got is CT1K.18. I also got black CT1K.18, and the weight penalty isn't bad for these two: about .8 oz and .7 oz per square yard, respectively.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast