Lightbulb Made me a Z-liner

I cut up three of the Therma-rest ridge-rest pads so they fit or slightly over fill the pockets on my NX-250. Feels like they will work well but no way to test the theory until my September trip to Colorado..

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Raise money from those of with Clarks.
    Everybody else knows we're wealthy. New Zealand's a little expensive for us, but we might manage a weekend for you in the Rockies now.

But, seriously, please keep the commitment to post your experience. I'm especially curious about whether the pads should be pressed lightly against the bottom of the hammock, the way inflated balloons might press them; or just anywhere across the pockets, even if that means an air-gap will form between the (mostly closed) pocket and the pads.

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    Arrowhead Toxaway
    Insulation
    Wilderness Logics
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggieland View Post
    I cut up three of the Therma-rest ridge-rest pads so they fit or slightly over fill the pockets on my NX-250. Feels like they will work well but no way to test the theory until my September trip to Colorado..
    Buy some cheap space blankets, wad them up, gently open them up and fold them, insert them in the pockets of your Clark. I expect you could cut each in half. You want them loose and layered. You will be amazed. If you want quieter material than classic space blankets, use AMK Heatsheets.

You could buy some Insultex and cut it sized for folding 2-3 times. It will pack smaller and lighter than the foam pads and is quieter than the space blankets, albeit more expensive . $6.35/yard at http://www.diygearsupply.com/cgi-bin/shelf.cgi?numb=53

With that nice Velcro on the ends of the Clark for the Z-liner, I think it begs for thin flexible foam pieces or Insultex with mating Velcro.

Sorry to mention this after chopping up the Ridgerests

Ok Dale, I'm a newbe so you have to explain things really well so I understand you well. I just looked at the website you posted above. This insultex stuff will have more "R" value and lighter, than the pads I cut up?

I'm looking hard at the insultex stuff right now. How many yds do you think I would need? You mentioned folding it 3 times, that just to increase the thickness correct? You also talked about the velcro on the clark would that require making somesort of pillow case or nylon cover for the insultex? thanks for helping this stuff looks amazing if It really works as advertised.

I have an old sleeping bag from LL Bean that I could cut up. Not sure what kind of insulation is inside but I know its not down. Hmm I leave in 5 weeks so getting it put together would be the issue.

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    Arrowhead Toxaway
    Insulation
    Wilderness Logics
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggieland View Post
    I'm looking hard at the insultex stuff right now. How many yds do you think I would need? You mentioned folding it 3 times, that just to increase the thickness correct? You also talked about the velcro on the clark would that require making somesort of pillow case or nylon cover for the insultex? thanks for helping this stuff looks amazing if It really works as advertised.
    Yes-- more layers/thickness = more dead air space = warmer

The Velcro I mention is the stuff on the ends that mounts the Z-liner pads that go there--- the triangular pads that are poart of the z-liner kit along with the pads that go in the pockets.

The Ridge-Rest pads will insulate I'm sure, it's just the weight and bulk.

Try a cheap space blanket crumpled up and then gently straightened back out and folded loosely. I would cut one in half and fold it to fit in a pocket. 3-4 layers will give a lot of insulation.

Like Bradley St John said, you can buy cheap polyfill insulation in just about any fabric store and cut pieces to go in the pockets. I have found new bags of polyfill at Goodwill for $3 a bag.

Read up on Garlington Insulators-- plastic bags with space blankets inside. For the Clark, you could use big Ziplock bags.

Reflectix would be interesting to try too, but it doesn't compress and leaves you in about the same spot as the Ridge-rest chunks.

• + New Posts