WBBB 1.1dl HB noseeum modified
    Tarp
    WB BMJ, HH hex
    Insulation
    winter incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing

Need advice on underquilts

I have the next 10 days off so I'm heading up to the SHT for some trail time. Hopefully with less separated shoulder than last year. Checking the weather, it looks like it might dip down to 56. I think my DIY sewn PLOQ with 3 layers of insultex will be warm enough. My only other under quilt is the HG winter incubator. Does anyone here use their winter UQ all year? Last year I used my 15 degree Eureka bag all summer and I tend to be a cold sleeper. My DIY UQ weighs 26.5 oz. with suspension and is not really compressible so it gets strapped to the outside of the pack. The winter incubator is 28.5oz. It packs smaller but is serious overkill for the mid 50s to low 60s. So now I don't know which to take. I could take both and leave the incubator in the car and swap out if I need to when I resupply. Or I could just use the incubator and let it hang loose/vented.

Any advice? Ideas?

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    While I can't speak frompersonal experience with the Incubator I do know that you can alway vent a too warm UQ, but you can't make a too cold one warmer.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    Wilderness Logic Night OWL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Pheonix 3s, te-wa
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    At only 2 ozs more but packs smaller. Take the good one and vent. If things go bad you'll be warm. I do not like any bulky gear hogging up precious space. I bought my pack after my gear so space ( extra space ) is scarce.
    I like refried beans. That's why I wanna try fried beans, because maybe they're just as good and we're just wasting time. You don't have to fry them again after all.

Hammock
    Traveler 1.1 sl/WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/Standard
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Dynaglide whoopies
    Images
    I agree with two tents, if you had a sumer phoenix it weighs 11.7oz I believe. So you're carrying about a 1lb more. I know if I add a 1lb to my pack I don't notice it, bexause its so light anyway. I'm sure you won't either. I'd take it and be warm and happy, rather not take it and maybe not be happy.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 Dbl, Eno
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    20*Pheonix,HGTQ20*
    Suspension
    Straps, whoopies
    Images
    Well, if you can vent a winter UQ to be comfortable in any weather why do they sell Summer, 3 Season, and Winter quilts? I really am asking the question and not just trying to make an obvious point.
    ________

Beware Plan A can be a little excessive .

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by littlebigpole View Post
    Well, if you can vent a winter UQ to be comfortable in any weather why do they sell Summer, 3 Season, and Winter quilts? I really am asking the question and not just trying to make an obvious point.
    Venting and underquilt is an inexact science and therefore can create quite the fiddle factor. Too much gap and you wake up cold, too much and your wake up sweating. Then you get hot spots and cold spots.

I'm not saying you can't do it, and on some nights you might get lucky and get the gap just right on the first try. But, it's just easier to cinch up the quilt that is made for the conditions at hand.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DIY bridge hammock
    Tarp
    OES/WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    WB Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    But, it's just easier to cinch up the quilt that is made for the conditions at hand.
    Listen to this advice.
    Syb
    Enjoy the elevation

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    Venting and underquilt is an inexact science and therefore can create quite the fiddle factor. Too much gap and you wake up cold, too much and your wake up sweating. Then you get hot spots and cold spots.
    I read a tip from Hangnout that suggested you hang your differential cut underquilt inside out so that the loft expands towards the hammock. You can adjust the suspension to achieve the desired loft/comfort with a minimum of fiddle factor.

So for the Original poster, I would suggest taking the Winter Incubator as pack space is usually at a premium. I believe that Bomber has said he uses his Winter incubator up to the mid 60s before its too hot.

Cheers

Brian

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dl HB noseeum modified
    Tarp
    WB BMJ, HH hex
    Insulation
    winter incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Another benefit of the DIY quilt is that its synthetic and there are thunderstorms in the forecast. My DIY isn't as bulky as I thought. I was able to roll and stuff it into my Thermarest backpacker light pad stuff sack so its not much if any bigger than my winter incubator. Hung under the pack, its isn't any wider than the pack itself. HG winter incubator on the left.

So I guess DIY quilt it is. BTW put my HG winter incubator on the scale and its 29.8oz not 28.5. Holy Crap, I might be turning into a gram weenie.

• + New Posts