Hammock
    HH Explorer Ultralite (Scout, Expd)
    Tarp
    HH Hex

Another UQP question

I was looking at the 2QZQ UQ protector online, and was wondering: if I had a light, simple, rectangular Climashield quilt would the UQ protector be able to hold it up against the hammock, thereby eliminating the need for a suspension on the quilt? Or would it sag too much?

BTW, I had our Hennessy Explorer, Expedition, and Scout modified by the Zipper Queen, and they're great. I finally got my little boys out for a couple of nights in the hammocks, just in the yard, but I don't know how I would have done it without the zipper mods.

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    I would think it would sag too much (i'm going on how it fits with my down UQ's and it doesn't seem to compress them.
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    HH Explorer w/ Zipper Mod #4
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dougout View Post
    I was looking at the 2QZQ UQ protector online, and was wondering: if I had a light, simple, rectangular Climashield quilt would the UQ protector be able to hold it up against the hammock, thereby eliminating the need for a suspension on the quilt? Or would it sag too much?

We have someone trying something similar this weekend with a possible new 3/4 length UQP to offer on our website. We will ask him if he thinks the full length UQP would work also.

BTW, I had our Hennessy Explorer, Expedition, and Scout modified by the Zipper Queen, and they're great. I finally got my little boys out for a couple of nights in the hammocks, just in the yard, but I don't know how I would have done it without the zipper mods.

That's great....we are very glad we could assist!!
    We will let you know what he thinks of the UQP with pad use, here on this thread. Thanks! ZQ
    Last edited by 2Questions; 07-21-2011 at 15:13.
    2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    Hennessy Hammock zipper modifications
    Sewn on Tarp doors, Pole Pockets, and Grizz Beaks
    Ridgeline and gear organizers, peak storage bags, UQ protectors,
    2QZQ tree table!

Hammock
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    We received a PM from our tester. The 3/4 length UQP he tested measures 63" wide X 59" long...he should be letting us know if these dimensions need to be adjusted.

His comment about the climashield quilt....

"I think the UQP would hold up the climashield. I can't be certain that it wouldn't shift a little bit thoughout the night though. it may scrunch down towards the center/bottom. I guess it depends on how stiff the insulation is."

Maybe you could attach the quilt to the UQP to keep it from shifting? We put small grosgrain loops on each corner of the UQP.

We hope to be offering a 3/4 length UQP on our website soon. If you are interested in trying one before we put it on the site, PM us or contact us through our website.

Thanks! ZQ
    2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    2QZQ tree table!

Hammock
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    Also, the regular size UQP measures about the same width, but the length is about 108". I would think it would work the same as the 3/4 length. Again, maybe attaching the UQ to the protector to keep it from shifting. ZQ
    2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    2QZQ tree table!

Hammock
    HH Explorer Ultralite (Scout, Expd)
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Thanks for the advice. I've seen threads discussing using a second hammock as an undercover, and, of course, discussions of double layered hammocks, and the UQPs seemed like an interesting alternative. Right now I'm using the converted old sleeping bag UQs that everyone seems to try at first, held up with makeshift suspensions that don't work very well, and the UQPs interested me as a possible way to make a simple, flexible insulation system; something that would hold some sort of lightweight insulation. Buying three professionally made underquilts would cost quite a bit. I think, in a month or so, I'll buy at least one UQP to try out. Even if I did wind up buying underquilts the UQPs would be good to have.

Had my little boys out three times so far, once in a thunderstorm, and they think it's great. I'm trying to gear up for a possible canoe camping trip next year. It'd be very difficult without the zipper mods; my younger boy tends to just dive in with a big mess of sleeping bags and pillows and whatnot, and I need to be able to get in there and re-arrange everything.

Thanks!-Dougout

Hammock
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dougout View Post
    Had my little boys out three times so far, once in a thunderstorm, and they think it's great. I'm trying to gear up for a possible canoe camping trip next year. It'd be very difficult without the zipper mods; my younger boy tends to just dive in with a big mess of sleeping bags and pillows and whatnot, and I need to be able to get in there and re-arrange everything.

Thanks!-Dougout
    Thats great!! Even in a thunder storm!! Starting them young...a lifetime of memories with dad...priceless!! ZQ
    2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    2QZQ tree table!

• + New Posts