DH RG 11' 1.6 Lefty
    Tarp
    HG, OES
    Insulation
    UQG,HG,WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Tell me about Slap Straps

I've been checking out these forums for a while now and have heard the term "slap straps", but after seeing them for the first time I was curious why they don't seem popular. On my HHUL I still use the HH straps with very light carabiners for ease of tying. On my other HH Hyperlight I have straps from Strapworks and buckles. While they are fast to set up, they also add weight. The slap straps weigh in at 12 oz which combined with the biners are probably lighter than the straps (15') and buckles. I'll have to weigh the difference. My thought is to shorten the cord, tying it off to the biners and using slapstraps. Pros and cons?

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Oms View Post
    ...cons?
    The commercially available ones are made from nylon webbing, which has a large stretch factor, especially when wet. If they were made from either polypro or polyester it would be much less of a problem.

Also, they are slightly less adjustable than other approaches without moving up/down on the tree. Since the loops are sewn at set places along the length, that's what you have to work with.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    DH RG 11' 1.6 Lefty
    Tarp
    HG, OES
    Insulation
    UQG,HG,WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Are the HH straps made from nylon as well and once it's stretched does it stay mostly that way? It seems like they have less sag then when first used.

Is the nylon a lighter material then the poly?

It didn't say how often the loops are or how many.

Does anyone think this is a good setup? Is it worth it to buy poly straps and tie loops in it or is it best to stick with the buckles? I was thinking of longer cord and less strap using biners.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Oms

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Avoid the comercially made SlapStraps from ENO like the plague. These guys make great hammocks, but their straps and tarps, IMO, should be avoided. There are much better choices out there.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Almost the first thin I would do to any hammock I purchased would be to change the suspension system to ring buckle or cinch buckle. I'm still playing with the JRB tri-glides. The advantage, in my mind, is they are essentially infinately adjustable. I can put the webbing around the tree and I don't have to mess with that connection much. Mybuckles are all under the tarps so I can do adjustments as needed under cover. That's not easy to do with a slapstrap system. I played with them when I first got the Travel Hammock sets and decided I didn't like them. At that time I was still lashing my HH with the stock system. Now everything is buckles.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    ENO double nest
    Tarp
    DIY 8x 10 silnylon
    Insulation
    50* p pod
    Images
    i used the eno slap straps for a while. i have always found the warnings of stretch to be a tad exaggerated. I have camped nights with a low hang and woken up without touching the ground. yes they may stretch, but big deal. never enough to really bother me. I found them to be the easiest setup i have worked with, which includes a hennessey hammock and speer style webbing. The adjustment loops are close enough to give you plenty of options. Set up is quick and easy. only reason i switched to speer webbing was to avoid the heavy eno biners.

Hammock
    ENO double nest
    Tarp
    DIY 8x 10 silnylon
    Insulation
    50* p pod
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
    Avoid the comercially made SlapStraps from ENO like the plague. These guys make great hammocks, but their straps and tarps, IMO, should be avoided. There are much better choices out there.
    there most certainly are better choices out there. Yet, for some folk's needs, the benefits of the other choices are minimal.

I just bought some on here, got them with a stove... But, as "luck' would have it, I found my Strapworks straps that were in the attic.... Don't need both, and will sell the slapstraps for a loss..... $14 gets them shipped to ya anywhere in the CONUS......... Oh, all he said on his FS ad here was in very good condition, but these have to be brand new... Even hanging one night with any straps leave telltale signs.. These look like they came from the factory..... Black............
    Quote Originally Posted by whitefoot_hp View Post
    there most certainly are better choices out there. Yet, for some folk's needs, the benefits of the other choices are minimal.

Hammock
    DH RG 11' 1.6 Lefty
    Tarp
    HG, OES
    Insulation
    UQG,HG,WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Thanks all for the input. I think I will pull thinks out and weigh the differences in set-ups. I may even look into slightly shorter poly straps to save weight (have 15'). If I'm out with my son, we can mix and match depending on tree size and spacing. All things that are convenient come with added weight. My HHUL with standard 72" tree huggers, UL biners and the zipper added weigh almost exactly the same as the Hyperlight with buckles and straps.

I used slap straps one time and switched over to cinch buckles. To much stretch for me. My concern was if it rained during the nite, I would end up separated to far from the tarp and increased the chance of getting wet.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast