Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Does anyone have pictures of..

Some of the more popular under quilts comressed? Im looking at the 3 season phoenix and wondering what the season incubator looks like compressed compared to it. Basically wondering how much larger the full length uq's are compressed than the 3/4's thanks.

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    I don't have any pictures, but only this morning, I found this great chart put together by other HF members comparing underquilts: https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?...EE&hl=en#gid=3

Maybe you'll find it useful, as I did while choosing among underquilts. Good luck!!
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    100% Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    I will try to get a photo like that up here. The quilts are usually put in a stuff sack and not a compression sack. The difference is that you can usually get the bags into there sack without breaking much of a sweat. It also means that when you put the bag in your pack, it will continue to compress as more things are added on top of it during the packing of your pack. If that make sense.

Regarding that spreadsheet. I need to contact the author (MrPrez I think) and do some editing. We have not been The Perfect Trees for over a year and much of the data as it relates to our products is outdated. I agree that is is handy though..

~Stormcrow
    Owner/Founder at Hammockgear.com - Hammock Camping Outfitters
    Home of the Burrow, the Incubator, and the Phoenix

Stormcrow how fast can a person get lets say a 3 season incubator from ya? If I decide on one I would need it before the end of the month. Also would a 3/4 cover a guy 5'10 or would I need a full length to cover shoulders to feet?

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    100% Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Assuming you mean by the end of August and not today ( ), your timeline should not be a problem at all.

As far as coverage...

I am 6'1" and use a fractional length underquilt. They are only meant to cover the user from the neck/shoulder area to just below the knees. The Incubator covers from above the head and down to, including, the feet. We do not have one that is designed to cover from the shoulders to the feet, although people of certain height may fall in to that category with our fractional under quilts.

~SC
    Owner/Founder at Hammockgear.com - Hammock Camping Outfitters
    Home of the Burrow, the Incubator, and the Phoenix

Yes, Sorry Forgot it was the last day of the month lol. I will do more brain burning on this and try to make a decision. I'm really affraid if I dont get the full length I might get cold. But it sees most of the "Big Time'' users seem to prefer the 3/4 or less. thanks for your help !

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    I pack all my quilts in very lite weight white trash compactor bags and place in bottom of my pack, and let all the other gear compress for me as I load pack,,I normally put anything of cooking status in upper 2 thirds mixed with a couple of cloth items like towel or socks or what ever is free to keep noise down from banging together..works for me. I just hate to compress anything in a compression bag,,about the only thing I used to compress was super lite weight tent,,as I used a Nemo when above tree lines.

That will work. I have a new pack coming tomorrow and I do a lot of archery hunting so I always loaded to the top on the way in with lots of gear so space is pretty critical. But I should be ok with this new pack size.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggieland View Post
    Some of the more popular under quilts comressed? Im looking at the 3 season phoenix and wondering what the season incubator looks like compressed compared to it. Basically wondering how much larger the full length uq's are compressed than the 3/4's thanks.
    Here is a 3S TQ and 3S incubator. They are not fully compressed. As others have stated it's best to leave them a little loose so other items can fill in around them.

Except for late fall and winter I use a 3/4 summer phoenix (1oz overstuffed).
    It packs much smaller and is much lighter. I use the 3S TQ year round.
    hth

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    Check out my Gallery. I have the summer and winter phoenix pictures of them packed down as well as a 3 season incubator in its stuff sack. They all pack down very small but I usually just shove them in my pack any ways
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast