Hennessy Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    Arrowhead Toxaway
    Insulation
    Wilderness Logics
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings

Coleman CCF convoluted 24"x72"x5/8" pad

I tried all the hiking pads in my arsenal and found them all uncomfortable and pretty much useless as they are 20" wide. I did some surfing on convoluted surface foam, hoping to come up with the OCF stuff used in the Hennessy SuperShelter. I stumbled on the Coleman 892B247 blue foam sleeping pad that is 24"x72"x5/8".

I dumped it in my Grand Trunk Ultralight for a test. When I first got in, I had some buckling in a couple spots, but after some major wiggling and tweeking, I actually got it to take a curve. It wasn't the silky experience of laying directly on the GTUL fabric, but I could see spending a night on it. It just covers my hips and shoulders and it is stiff and thick enough that any side insulation from quilt or sleeping bag will have chance.

The corners stuck out and were just excess baggage, so I hopped in with a felt tip marker and made a rough outline the areas to be trimmed. I narrowed the leg area a bit and rounded the corners, with a mind to keeping the outboard corner so that I had good heel coverage. I heavily rounded the top corners. It was easy to cut with a pair of Fiskars scissors and I tapered all the cuts to give smooth lines.

It turned out pretty good and it still very usable for a ground pad. It does take some wrasslin' to get into a good position, but not impossible. I found that I needed to place it a lot higher to the head end than I expected to have it end up in the right place when I was settled in. It is stable and warm enough for any summer adventures. I did find that a flatter hang worked much better.

It is bulky when stowed-- 24"x8"--- but the surprise is that it is much lighter than expected. The listed weight is 1.5 pounds and actually 12.6oz out of the box and 11.5 after trimming. That is a very respectable weight for a full length sleeping pad. For comparison, my Therm-A-Rest Prolite small-size inflateable pad is 11oz and just 20"x47". I did not find an R-value listed for it, but 5/8" CCF has to be good. It came with two wide elastic bands and I found that just one was good for keeping it rolled.

So, not as comfy as insulation below the hammock surface, but usable and serviceable. I got it on line at http://www.meijer.com/s/coleman-conv...pad/_/R-151288, for $19.65 + tax and $3.95 shipping. Service was good.
    Last edited by DaleW; 07-31-2011 at 13:38.

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    Arrowhead Toxaway
    Insulation
    Wilderness Logics
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings

Coleman CCF pad and Hennessy success

I got my Hennessy Exped Zip hung this morning and gave the trimmed Coleman pad a test drive. I'm happy with the results. I can go to the woods with this a be confident of having a good, warm, night sleep. The only negative on this pad is the bulk-- about 8" diameter when rolled, but my pack has the perfect straps to haul it.

I made a much flatter hang and that makes a huge difference. I did cut a couple 5mm EVA pads that are 7"x29" to cover the sides from shoulder to hip--- more for my elbows than anything else. They are stable enough just tucked into the edge of the pad. They add just an ounce each to the mix and I could probably get by with 4"x24" or shorter.

Images
    I trimmed 5" from a similar pad to make it 19" wide, then cut that 5"x72" strip into four 5"x18" segments. Using a self-made SPE it widened the hip to shoulder width to almost 30 inches and helped with the buckling problems. The smaller width also helps out with loading it onto the bottom of my frame pack.

-Mike

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    Arrowhead Toxaway
    Insulation
    Wilderness Logics
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    After laying in it for 30-45 minutes, it warmed up and actually took a curve. In the Hennessy, I'm not having any buckling problems to to speak of. Looking at the pad afterwards, I could see just a tiny bit of wrinkling about halfway down-- I'm taking 3/8" on the edge. I sure can't feel it on the top side. Evidently the thickness helps. It gets easier with practice too--- knowing where the sweet spot is and how to rack it around. The bottom skin on the foam makes it easier to slide too.

I like the idea of being able to go to ground with it, even if it is a short nap on a rocky river bank.

I see they make green ones too-- much preferred!

Images
    Dale, sounds like you might be on your way to being a pad man!

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    Arrowhead Toxaway
    Insulation
    Wilderness Logics
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Still not my first choice, but better than being cold. It makes a good lightweight option. I have a 10oz tarp and the Grand Trunk Ultralight. I could do with a head net for bugs to get freaky light, but a bug sock is on the horizon. Add my 9oz poncho under cover and I'm getting back to my ultralight "roots."

• + New Posts