Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Tewa, Speer, H.G.
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jwright View Post
    Carry on good man, Carry on. (But you really should be using video, for the sake of science )

Jason
    lol. We definitely need video review for the scientific records por favor.
    "In seed time learn, in harvest teach, in winter enjoy." -D'Signore's, Tide Mill Farm, Edmunds, Maine.

Hammock
    Wbbb 1.1dbl.- Traveler multicam 1.9
    Tarp
    H.G. Cuben camo
    Insulation
    Phinc-burrow- H.R.
    I think I will try that with my stock web suspension for my bird, in place of a biner.. Less overall stress that way..
    We would be one step closer to world peace, if everyone slept in a hammock..

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    DD Tarp 3x3
    Insulation
    GarQuilt/Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    vinnya42,

Did you end up leaving all the inner strands in your version? The YouTube video shows to remove them all but it appears you left at least a few of them (if not all) in your soft shackle.

How difficult did leaving the inner stands in make it to do?

Thanks!

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    I'm near the Jersey Shore. Lots of anglers. (Fishers?) All my life, the jock sheet carried stories, as elsewhere in the world, about big fish caught, many featuring the surprise that it was caught with line much lighter than would seem possible. Surely the line would break, but it didn't.

That you may have applied a dynamic load greater than your shackles estimated rating, by trampolining, is something like those fishing stories. No doubt a lot of the shock and load was born by the hammock stretching. You can consult tables of stretch at fractions of rated load for nylon rope. Maybe archives here or from before include the results of measurements on just that.

I'd like to know from anyone just what it is you are advised to be looking for as signs of damage so that when you use these shackles you have avoided a risk of breakage evident from their appearance.

The Wikipedia article on paracord usefully point to varieties with different break strengths, beside 550lb. Of course your paracord was diminished if you removed the core, but what was left might be estimated to have a doubled breaking strength due to the load being distributed on the two legs, but then then reduced by the knot.

Do you know that the stopper knot you chose contributes least to shackle derating of the rope, of the stopper knots you could have chosen?

If these shackles are in a kit among others made from a fiber with steel-wire strength for equal diameter nominal 1/8" or greater, (ie Amsteel, Vectran, Dyneema, etc )do you know that you or someone else would correctly pick the slender, plasticky looking one as the one to use and trust for the heavier load?

Great pics.
    Last edited by DemostiX; 08-03-2011 at 11:15. Reason: correction

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    9x10 tyvek
    Insulation
    ww blue ccf pad
    Suspension
    whoopies & toggles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Avenger View Post
    vinnya42,

Did you end up leaving all the inner strands in your version? The YouTube video shows to remove them all but it appears you left at least a few of them (if not all) in your soft shackle.

How difficult did leaving the inner stands in make it to do?

Thanks!
    I think what we are seeing is a quick release loop made (cleverly, might I add) out of the gutted paracord. I like the idea--on a cold morning picking away at your soft shackles can be a hassle. Definitely gonna have to make this addition to the ones I take with me when I camp.

Sweet! When I woke up this morning I was kind of bummed--in a project mood, but no project on the horizon. Got me a project now
    You're gonna need a bigger hammock

Hammock
    Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 12x8 silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY IX UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Webbing
    Timabab.....exactly right about the quick release. I put mine about 1/4" in from the end of the loop, test before finishing the knot, if you put the quick release in too deep it will bind and not move freely.

Here is the link to my bounce test to try and break the 550 soft shackle.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...147#post519147
    Hang it high and God Bless!!

Vince

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    DD Tarp 3x3
    Insulation
    GarQuilt/Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by timabababaluka View Post
    I think what we are seeing is a quick release loop made (cleverly, might I add) out of the gutted paracord. I like the idea...
    Ok. I can see that now and it makes sense.

But I am still wondering why you would remove the internal strands just use the external sheath. If it is because that is the only way to make the shackle, then fine. But otherwise, why remove the part of the cord that is giving you the most strength?

I guess I will just have to give it a go myself when I get home today and see if I can thread the paracord, with internal strands intact, back through itself.

I don't profess to understand all the stats that DemostiX put or puts out, but I would have to think that a piece of paracord, with the strands intact, would provide a pretty decent amount of break strength.

Hammock
    Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 12x8 silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY IX UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Webbing
    I removed the inner strands, I don't think you could get the sleeve through if they were there. check my other thread and you will see the inner strands are not needed for strength.
    Hang it high and God Bless!!

Vince

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    DD Tarp 3x3
    Insulation
    GarQuilt/Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by vinnya42 View Post
    I removed the inner strands, I don't think you could get the sleeve through if they were there. check my other thread and you will see the inner strands are not needed for strength.
    I am not sure I can either, but it has now become a challenge that I must attempt.

Thanks for clarify though and for doing this little experiment, and the test, to begin with.

Hammock
    Camo Clark NX 250
    Tarp
    Custom Smokehouse
    What needle did you use to feed the line back in on it's self?
    Rules to live by:The Wizards Rules
    Anything can be solved by the proper application of High Explosives. Or a shot of whiskey...
    Meaning of the EOD Badge
    Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) is a science of vague assumptions based on debatable figures derived from inconclusive experiments, performed by persons of doubtful mental capability with instruments of problematic accuracy.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast