WBBB dbl. 1.7
    Tarp
    Guide Gear 12x12
    Insulation
    High BMI
    Suspension
    WB webbing

UQ for elk hunt

I am going elk hunting in Colorado, near Pagosa Springs in early September and need an UQ. I sleep warm, very seldom get cold. The coldest I have been in the WBBB 1.7dbl is about 40 with a walmart blue pad, and I was toasty in my skivies. I will be backpacking in and am torn between the 2/3 3/4 and full length. I am 6'4" and I think I'll be fine with the partial length. I am really leaning toward the 3 season phoenix 3/4. It seldom gets lower than 20 in TX, and I doubt I would be out in the hammock anyways. I have just read so many that say they love their full lengths. HELP Please?!?!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web
    Quote Originally Posted by txdiamond17 View Post
    ...and am torn between the 2/3 3/4 and full length.
    You should look at a Jack's-R-Better Mount Washington 3 Convertible, I love mine and you wouldn't have to choose between a partial and full length quilt.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DBL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Sleeping BearTQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Straps and Slings
    Images
    I personally use a 3/4. There is some fiddle with it and feel that a full length is kind of easier to use, but in order to save weight I accept the fiddle. Down to the 20s you will need something under your feet. Whenever my sit pad slipped out from under my feet, my feet where ice cold and I am a pretty warm sleeper too.
    "We don't stop hiking because we grow old,
    we grow old because we stop hiking."

-- Finis Mitchell,

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dblcorona View Post
    I personally use a 3/4. There is some fiddle with it and feel that a full length is kind of easier to use, but in order to save weight I accept the fiddle. Down to the 20s you will need something under your feet. Whenever my sit pad slipped out from under my feet, my feet where ice cold and I am a pretty warm sleeper too.
    +1. It is mainly a matter of weight vs fiddle. But it certainly can be done with the short models. Also, will you have a pad with you anyway, for a sit pad?

I know that Brandon used to feel- when he started making the short models- that the full length approach was less efficient for leg warmth than a pad is, weight wise. Based on the fact that when you lay on the rt diagonal, a good sized gap usually develops under and to the left of your left leg. And sense many people have a pad with them anyway ( for sitting around the campfire and emergency or going to ground), and pads are not uncomfortable under the legs, why not save that weight and bulk?

Not every one will agree with that, but I can vouch that every full length quilt- including PeaPod- I have used certainly has a tendency to fall away from the hammock/leg opposite from diagonal. (does not apply to JRB Bridge- no diagonal!) Though I can't say I've ever been cold as a result. But I sometimes do rig up some extra shockcord to ease my mind.

But I also have certainly never been cold using my WB short Climashield Yeti and a leg pad. But, there is definitely more fiddle factor, more things to go wrong, at least if you are comparing to other differentially cut (but full length) quilts. ( non-dif quilts are a whole different story). I absolutely have to make sure the quilt is adjusted tight enough, and that it is the right height relative to my shoulders and not too far towards my head, causing a cold gap. But really, after some time spent playing with it and learning, no big deal. The main thing that must be dealt with is to make sure that it does not move up or down or slip off my shoulder in the night, especially if I move. But there are some tricks to deal with all of that. So if you are carrying a pad anyway, how much do you want to some room in your pack and maybe save 8 or 9 oz? Is it worth some hassle?

Because I can tell you that none of the above fiddle factor applies to a JRB MWUQ on a BMBH, though I do have to spend some time getting the suspension dialed in just right on the foot end on some other hammocks, especially the WBBB foot box. But once that is done nothing ever moves and I can move. ( but on with the MWUQ/BMBH, just attach according to directions, end of story. Move around as you please, you will never get off of the quilt or cause a gap). Neither do those little hassles apply to a PeaPod, other than getting the initial tension right when you first put it on (it is not dif cut). After that, nothing will ever move, and you are free to move around as you please. And there nothing is going to move with a HH Super Shelter if it is put on as directed, no matter how much you move.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 08-01-2011 at 08:30.

Hammock
    WBBB dbl. 1.7
    Tarp
    Guide Gear 12x12
    Insulation
    High BMI
    Suspension
    WB webbing
    Thanks for the help guys. I am about to pull the trigger on a Phoenix 3 season. I'm going to have a sit pad anyway, so might as well save the pack space.

Hammock
    HH-HBPA,2QZQ-Mod2L
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx Spinn
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 & TiGoat
    Suspension
    DIY 7/64" UCR's
    Images

Ughhh...

!!!ORANGE!!!

Don't know what you sound like in your sleep, but I'd hate to have your snoring mistaken for the sounds of rutt...
    H4x
    SM TR49, SR-875 "A boy learns integrity through his eyes, ears and hands."

"You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no telling where you might be swept off to." Bilbo Baggins, as quoted by Frodo The Fellowship of the Ring

Images
    I went to that area on the 2nd hunt a years ago, so it was mid-October I believe. I was not a into hammocks yet, but I slept on a cot with many of the same issues. We were somewhere between Blanco Basin and Pagosa Springs at about 8,000ft and the lows were in the high single digits about half of the time I was there. I believe it was the first week that was the coldest. I had 2 20 degree bags. I slept in one with the other spread over me like a quilt. I had a wool blanket and a ccf pad on the cot for bottom insulation.

If I was expecting lows in the 20's I think I would prepare for zero just to be on the safe side.

Ragnall

Hammock
    my 11' ers
    Tarp
    many of my tarps
    Insulation
    yeti, Incubators
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie
    Images
    In my WBbb, a 3/4 uq with pad in foot box works really well. My 11' DIY hammocks, I prefer a full length UQ....

Hammock
    WBBB dbl. 1.7
    Tarp
    Guide Gear 12x12
    Insulation
    High BMI
    Suspension
    WB webbing
    Well I went on a scouting trip this weekend and camped about 11,000 feet. It was a wonderful time. I am very glad I ordered a Phoenix 3 season, I only wish it had come in. I did use a silver reflectix windshield thing as a pad. I stayed warm, but had the most condensation I have ever had. The bottom side of my bag was wet, as well as the WBBB. Not a little wet, it was soaking! I couldn't believe I didn't get cold as it was about 40. Oh well, I can't wait to get the real UQ in and take it for a spin.

• + New Posts