Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images

Zipper Jig at OWF

Has anyone ever used the Zipper Jig sold at OWF? They're a little short on the description and there's no images, but in any case, I'd prefer to hear from someone who's actually used it.

Thoughts?
    DIY Gear Supply - Your source for DIY outdoor gear.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Look here.... Sounds like the same thing. Looks like it might be handy for high production uses.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    Look here.... Sounds like the same thing. Looks like it might be handy for high production uses.
    Interesting that the old version in the link was model OWF-ZJ. Is that the same OWF?

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

That would definitely make installing a slider a whole lot easier, but I came across another trick for installing a slider. A can't find the link right now, so I will briefly describe the technique (perhaps someone has posted it here before?). It makes adding sliders so much easier!

Start by separating a few inches of your zipper at the end you want to install the slider. Next, take a few inches of masking tape, scotch tape or whatever kind of tape you have handy. Use the tape to 'extend' the fabric portion of the zipper tape to make a 'pull tab' of sorts. You do this on both halves of the zipper. You can then feed the slider down the tape to the start of the zipper. The tape doesn't really guide the slider, but it does give you something to pull on for leverage as the slider meets the zipper teeth.

Edit: Wow, that explanation was terrible! Here's a link to a tutorial with pics: http://glass-beach.blogspot.com/2007...pper-pull.html
    Last edited by goatnuck; 08-01-2011 at 23:56. Reason: Clarity

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    Thanks everyone, the video was helpful, along with the links. I was wondering the same thing about the OWF-ZJ item listing from that other company.

I went ahead and purchased one along with a small order of stuff I don't already carry and needed for a friends project. I'll report back when I've put it to use. OWF listing says it's the fork only, so I may need to improvise something to lock it in place.
    DIY Gear Supply - Your source for DIY outdoor gear.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Scatt,
    Can you take some close-up photos of the slot that the slider fits into. I want to get Dutch to make a Ti version for repairs on the trail.

I have used a loop of heavy thread that passes through both ends of the zipper tape to keep tension on both sides while I pull the slider onto the zipper, but I like the looks of these jigs a lot. Might try to make one.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    I looked at the video closely and wondered if I had anything on hand with a vertical slot that would do. The presser foot for the PTI came to mind, but it turned out to be too thick to hold a zipper slider, so I looked at the other attachments that came with my Singer. The edge stitcher foot has slots and is made from thinner metal.
    Here it is on the machine with the regular foot removed next to it.

Here is the edge stitcher with a #3 zipper slider in place.

I tried it, and it works fine. It's a little tight getting hold of the zipper tape next to the needle, and I don't want to exert sideways pressure on the needle holder, so I'll probably just fasten the edge stitcher to an open work surface for use as a zipper jig. (First I'll try it as an edge stitcher. There are a lot of these attachments that I've never tested.)

• + New Posts