Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images

First Hang of my DIY Tarp with Byer Moskito Hammock

I got the Byer Moskito Hammock ($34.95 at EMS; didn't want to wait for shipping) and hung it right away. I took some 1-inch straps I had laying around, made a Marlin Spike Hitch, and found some strange aluminum tubes in the garage for the toggles (I knew I was saving those things for something. I think the tubes came from some IKEA furniture that, of course, fell apart long ago).

I tied the Coleman tent tarp onto the straps with something like a Prusik knot that can slide up and down the strap. I'm going to have to read up more on a ridgeline and its function since I'm not sure I really understand what all it does, and whether I want or need one.

It seems like rain would run down the straps onto my head a lot easier than it would run down cord. I'm hoping the Marlin Spike Hitch and toggle acts kind of like a drip string to divert the water before it can drip down to the hammock.

I had to hang the Byer Moskito Hammock a lot higher than my Hennessy Hammock because it stretches quite a bit (or maybe the straps stretch). I don't like the way the mosquito net drapes into your face. I might add a tie-out on each side like the HH has, with some shock cord to spread the hammock out width-wise and keep the net off the face.

The strings that suspend the Byer are annoying. I can't even figure out how to untangle them. There's a channel you could run cord through to make a bunched-end hammock, but from what I've read on the forum, that makes the Byer hang wrong. I'll just have to live with these stupid strings, I guess.

I have three weeks before my trip to Lake Lila, so that gives me plenty of time to maybe make a lighter, less bulky suspension using Amsteel. I might even try making my own whoopie slings; usframe's youtube video makes it look fairly simple.

Anyway, I have my DIY tarp, hammock and suspension and I've only spent $34.95 so far. I might spend a little more on the Amsteel suspension and maybe a ridgeline. Sleeps great, and I should be able to keep total cost per hammock under $50!
    Attached Images Attached Images

rj138
    Hello all, I'm new to the forum, just browsing through some posts here. This tent rainfly looks great, I have a similar one I'm gonna test out tonight in the backyard. We have a pretty good storm moving through tonight so fingers crossed. Good tips, look forward to seeing more cool stuff on here.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rj138 View Post
    Hello all, I'm new to the forum, just browsing through some posts here. This tent rainfly looks great, I have a similar one I'm gonna test out tonight in the backyard. We have a pretty good storm moving through tonight so fingers crossed. Good tips, look forward to seeing more cool stuff on here.
    I never got the rainfly to work - leaked like a sieve.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12