Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Re - road conditions: Last year there was a tree down on the road up from Laneville. I was glad I had a folding buck saw in the car. Lots of rain can loosen the soil quite a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by wi1ecoyote View Post
    Is the dot we are looking at the circle one or the blue one?
    Just hover your cursor over the dots and a pop up box will appear with the stream name. Find the one with Dry Fork at Hendricks - it's currently blue but will be a color of some sort - not an empty circle.
    "There are places in this world that are neither here nor there, neither up nor down, neither real nor imaginary. These are the in-between places, difficult to find and even more challenging to sustain." - Thomas Moore

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Or use this link.
    Note - you can change the display parameters. I usually check "Graph w/ stats" and change the number of days to 30 or more, so I can compare the current gage height with the median (tan triangles). This helps more if you've been there before at "normal" water levels, but still useful for first visit so you have a level of comparison for next time.
    Last edited by WV; 09-10-2011 at 10:06.

Hammock
    warbonnet BB 1.1 single layer
    Tarp
    Zpacks cuben fiber
    Insulation
    cottage down
    Suspension
    whoopie, Flyz, CRL

Talking sounds good to me - let me check with Oh-No

Quote Originally Posted by crackedup View Post
    It's looking really good for me to make it so far. After studying the map a little last night and reading one of my trail books on Dolly Sods I came up with a tentative hike route I plan on taking. Since we still have 5 weeks till the hang, this could change a little, but I thought I would share my plans with everyone. This way anyone interested in taking this route with or without me could schedule their time. This entire hike is based on seeing as much as Dolly Sods as I could, which includes the higher plateau's of North Dolly Sods, and the Mountainous regions of South Dolly Sods. It also includes meeting up at the designated hang areas and some really good photo opportunities. Like I said, this could change a little depending on weather and/or how my knee holds up. I'm going to delay any trips I planed until after this hang to give my knee a chance to rest.

Enough jabbering, on with the routes.
    Thursday Morning-Park at the TR522 (Bear Rocks) trail head. Leave in the morning before noon, like to hit the trail as early as possible, between 6-9 would be great. Begin on TR522 (Bear Rocks), to TR521 (Raven Ridge), to TR524 (Rocky Ridge), down TR526 (Dobbin Grade) and camp in the valley near the Left Fork of Red Creek. [Edit: WV mentioned below of a camp spot, after looking on my areal photo i can see what looks like that spring? Anyway there does look like allot more trees in that area. This would be another camp option] Options would be to cut out TR524 (Rocky Ridge) and head down TR521 (Raven Ridge) or TR523 (Beaver View). This would work if someone came late and would like to meet up at the camp spot, or wanted to make a little shorter day. Some features of these trails are large sloping valleys, long views, and unique flora/fauna. Rocky Ridge trail has some outstanding views of Canaan Valley, Timberline Ski slopes, and an amazing array of rocky outcrops. Should hear some coyotes Thursday night. Approximate mileage 6.5.

Friday-Easy Day and can leave almost anytime, so breakfast, lounging and building up gumption to go is possible. Head up and out of the valley on TR526 (Dobbin Grade) to TR509 (Upper Red Creek), to TR511 (Blackbird Knob) and end up at Friday nights hammock hang meeting point. More open scenery in the upper sections then more wooded areas further south toward camp. Once at camp a quick dunk in Red Creek may be in order. Approximate mileage 4.

Saturday-Another early rise as this may be the longest hike of the trip but should offer some beautiful scenery. Day will start heading up TR511 (Blackbird Knob), to TR513 (Big Stonecoal), to TR554 (Rocky Point), to TR514 (Red Creek), ending up at hammock hang spot two. Lots of hardwoods and hillsides with the grand view coming from Rocky Point. This will be a good place to take a nice break, take in the scenery, and take a mental imprint. A couple options for this day would be to head down TR514 (Red Creek) at the start then up TR553 (Breathed Mountain) possibly find a bushwhack shortcut to TR513 (Big Stonecoal). Another option would be to camp out on top of Rocky Point Saturday night. This would be a great sunset/sunrise, but would miss hammock hang night two and would double the hike out for Sunday. [Edit: I was thinking that i have not done any night hikes. If i spend more time on Rocky Point, like hanging out enjoying the view, or catching a sunset, this would open up an early evening into dark hike back to hang spot two] Approximate miles for original route, 8.

Sunday-Goodbye's and cries as we know the work week ahead is coming and another trip ending. Head out whenever and work up TR514 (Red Creek) to TR511 (Blackbird Knob) to TR509 (Upper Red Creek), to TR526 (Dobbin Grade) and back onto TR522 (Bear Rocks). End the day at the ride home. This should be a beautiful ending to the weekend through the unique landscape of upper Dolly Sods. The gentle up slope should also work out any soreness gathered over the weekend and be somewhat easy. Possible alternatives would be to bribe a fellow hanger that parked a little closer to Saturday nights hang to give a poor weary wore out fellow hanger a ride back to Bear Rocks. Approximate total miles for Sunday, 5.5.

That's it, that's my plan, I just hope it works out for me to do it. If anyone is interested in joining me, you are more than welcome. Like I said, it should offer up most of what Dolly Sods has to offer and give some outstanding views if the weather is nice. I know sometimes the fog will roll in on Dolly Sods and take quite awhile to clear out. Just to let anyone that may be interested know, I'm not a fast hiker. I like to take in the scenery and look around from time to time. I will also stop and break especially at scenic views, nothing beats leaning back on a pack overlooking a scenic spot with the wind gently blowing. Gotta love it.
    CrackedUp - thank you for posting such helpful information. i have copied your itinerary and will check with my driving/hiking cohort Oh-No on his plans. my goodness, i can't wait to see everyone!!
    who learns will love and not destroy
    the creature's life, the flower's joy

Hammock
    WBBB, D.I.Y. KSSH
    Tarp
    ZPacks
    Insulation
    H.G. & Warbonnet
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutch
    Your welcome Sweetbabyd, but my plans have changed and I will be meeting up with everyone at Fisher Spring Run on Wednesday now, including you, oh-no, WV, and a few others. I'm almost ready, gotta go pick up some snacks today, wash up some clothes and I'll be ready to pack.

I was up Lower Glady yesterday fishing, the water level was fine there but as we where leaving and heading back toward Elkins they had more rain. I would also like to let everyone know they had better bring a light jacket and maybe something a little warm for in the evening. It's been getting cool late evening here at home.
    Last edited by BearChaser; 09-12-2011 at 08:59. Reason: Changed Snakes to Snacks

Hammock
    Tarp
    Zpacks cuben fiber
    Insulation
    cottage down
    Suspension
    whoopie, Flyz, CRL

Smile see you at Fisher Spring Run

Your welcome Sweetbabyd, but my plans have changed and I will be meeting up with everyone at Fisher Spring Run on Wednesday now, including you, oh-no, WV, and a few others. I'm almost ready, gotta go pick up some snacks today, wash up some clothes and I'll be ready to pack.

I was up Lower Glady yesterday fishing, the water level was fine there but as we where leaving and heading back toward Elkins they had more rain. I would also like to let everyone know they had better bring a light jacket and maybe something a little warm for in the evening. It's been getting cool late evening here at home.
    CrackedUp - that's great! i will look for Fisher Spring Run on my quadrant map and try to get a GPS setting. Oh-No and i will be there! yay! i will also check your weather links. looks like it could be freezing at night? thanks again to you and Tracy and other great Hammock folks who posted such helpful links

Hammock
    Tarp
    Zpacks cuben fiber
    Insulation
    cottage down
    Suspension
    whoopie, Flyz, CRL
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyCamper View Post
    Skydog thought it would be good to check with someone to see if any of the Dolly Sods roads had a washout due to the rain. I called the ranger station in Petersburg and the secretary said the roads were fine but they were advising anyone going hiking this weekend not to try to cross Red Creek due to the 6 inches of rain they had recently.

Thunderstorms predicted for next week. Hangers need to watch weather and water levels. I will be calling ranger station next Tuesday and will post what I find out. Would appreciate others posting any information they find out as well. I don't want hikers going in and getting stuck on wrong side of Red Creek or getting into a dangerous creek crossing. Not something I will be attempting.

For more information contact the Cheat-Potomac Ranger District at HC 59 Box 240, Petersburg, WV 26847 (304)257-4488 ext. 0

FYI, For anyone going up just for the birding, they don't do it when it's raining or thunderstorms.
    thanks Tracy! see you soon! can't wait!

Hammock
    WBBB, D.I.Y. KSSH
    Tarp
    ZPacks
    Insulation
    H.G. & Warbonnet
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutch
    sweetbabyd-Try N39 00.448 W79 19.646, that should get you close to the TR510 Fisher Spring Run trail head.

Forgot to add, if anyone is going to be in the Davis area Tuesday evening, I should be up Camp 70 road hanging out at hopefully camp site 6 I believe. If you decide to come up, look for a Silver Jeep Commander, slightly lifted, brush guard and lights mounted, Hammock forums sticker on back glass. My left front fender flare is also missing from a recent encounter with a whitetail. Your more than welcome to join me, hopefully I'll have some fresh trout ready from fishing through the day. If i'm not there, come on in camp and setup if you like. I'll either be fishing or hiking a few of the trails in the area.

I'll post weather and water conditions of the Blackwater river when I get there. You all be careful driving to the hang and I'll see you there.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Zpacks cuben fiber
    Insulation
    cottage down
    Suspension
    whoopie, Flyz, CRL
    sweetbabyd-Try N39 00.448 W79 19.646, that should get you close to the TR510 Fisher Spring Run trail head.
    you are the best!! thanks!!
    donna

Could you add me and a friend to the tentative list? Are ground dwelling folk welcome as well?

• + New Posts
  • Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast