Tarp
    10' X 11' Cuben
    Insulation
    CCfoam, Down quilt
    Suspension
    various
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CapDubOh View Post
    Are ground dwelling folk welcome as well?
    Sure, anyone with a good attitude is welcome.
    All others get sacrificed.

Quick question, I'm still tentative on whether I can go, but if I do I was thinking about doing this hike as a prehike for Sat/Sun.
    So, I've been reading about the many stream crossings that I'd have to do. What's the preferred method of crossing? I have trekking poles, but should I bring extra shoes just for crossing? Still new to actually backpacking and have minimal experience with real stream crossings in my previous hikes. Thanks for the help.

Hammock
    various homemade Speer type
    Tarp
    10' X 11' Cuben
    Insulation
    CCfoam, Down quilt
    Suspension
    various
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ferret View Post
    So, I've been reading about the many stream crossings that I'd have to do. What's the preferred method of crossing? I have trekking poles, but should I bring extra shoes just for crossing?for the help.
    I use bare feet most of the time, unless sharp rocks or broken glass
    is suspected, then I'll use my crock knockoffs. Just wearing socks
    can give you better grip in some situations.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Ferret, the hike you're contemplating is a good one, but you might not want to do it as a pre-hike, because you"ll pass through both the Friday night and Saturday night campsites in the course of doing the loop. You could use the second half of the loop on Saturday to get from the Left Fork campsite to the Forks (via Blackbird Knob Trail and Breathed Mountain Trail).

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.0
    Tarp
    WBBMJ
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    OK guys, any takers from Ohio to car pool down Friday? I plan to park at the blackbird knob trailhead and take it over to the left fork for Friday.

For Friday's hang spot, are we planning on being upstream on downstream of where the blackbird knob trail crosses the left fork? I know that there is a humongous hang site about 150 yards upstream there...lukesteg and I hung there earlier this summer. Once I make it there, I'll give a few "whoo buddies" to sniff you guys out. If I'm there earlier than the group ( I probably will be), I'll hang out at the creek crossing.

Saturday, I'll stick with the group. If anyone wants to meet up at the trailhead on Friday, let me know. I'll probably be there pretty early, and make it an easy day.
    Mike, Backcountry Mentor
    https://backcountrymentor.com
    Check me out on YouTube!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuhqpe2xIWBXRVtpB5dxAJA

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.0
    Tarp
    WBBMJ
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ferret View Post
    Quick question, I'm still tentative on whether I can go, but if I do I was thinking about doing this hike as a prehike for Sat/Sun.
    So, I've been reading about the many stream crossings that I'd have to do. What's the preferred method of crossing? I have trekking poles, but should I bring extra shoes just for crossing? Still new to actually backpacking and have minimal experience with real stream crossings in my previous hikes. Thanks for the help.
    I've always taken some sandals with me at the sods, but I've never needed them for a creek crossing in normal water levels. Most are rock hops as long as you are north of "the forks". I carry trekking poles myself...they're great for "porch mode", and I have a bum ankle, so they're extra insurance against sprains.

The sandals are a recommendation either way, if only for some camp shoes. Oh, and if you are anywhere in sight of the southern bend of the Dobbin grade trail, expect your feet to get wet. There's not much else I can say other than it is an ungodly mess of a bog. Beautiful nonetheless.
    Mike, Backcountry Mentor
    https://backcountrymentor.com
    Check me out on YouTube!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuhqpe2xIWBXRVtpB5dxAJA

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Good advice, Mike.
    Oh-no, et.al. take note of the following. We might pass that way Friday morning.
    ... if you are anywhere in sight of the southern bend of the Dobbin grade trail, expect your feet to get wet. There's not much else I can say other than it is an ungodly mess of a bog. Beautiful nonetheless.

Is anyone planning on arriving late Friday night? I was originally planning to arrive Saturday morning but now I'm thinking I might night hike Friday.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    I will not be making this hike now. My older sister was in a serious car accident. She's stable now but will be in the hospital and rehab for a bit of a stay. I am in driving distance of Pittsburgh hospital and need to be there for her as much as possible.

Please send me private messages about this, so this thread can stay on track with the actual hike since we are so close to the weekend.

The weather keeps looking better and better although cold at night! Be prepared. Also the water levels have come down, but depending on your hike don't be shy about contacting the local ranger station for the most up to date info on creek crossings. Cheat-Potomac Ranger District at HC 59 Box 240, Petersburg, WV 26847 (304)257-4488 ext. 0

I'm looking forward to reading the trip reports next week. Happy trails everyone.

Lastest weather report:

Wednesday...Partly sunny. Highs in the lower 70s. West winds 5 to 10 mph. Overnight: Mostly cloudy. A chance of showers after midnight. Lows in the lower 50s. West winds around 5 mph. Chance of rain 30 percent.

Thursday...Mostly cloudy with a 40 percent chance of showers. Highs in the lower 60s. Northwest winds around 5 mph. Overnight: Mostly cloudy. A chance of showers in the evening. Lows in the upper 30s. Chance of rain 30 percent.

Friday...Partly sunny. Highs in the upper 50s. Overnight: Partly cloudy. Lows in the upper 30s. Highs in the lower 60s.

Saturday...Partly cloudy. Lows in the upper 30s. Highs in the lower 60s.

Sunday...Partly cloudy. Lows in the upper 30s. Highs in the lower 60s.

Monday...Partly cloudy. Lows in the upper 30s. Highs in the lower 60s. Overnight: Mostly clear. Lows in the mid 40s. Highs in the mid 60s.

PS: These temps are for the Petersburg Airport. Temps at higher elevations of Dolly Sods could be colder.
    Last edited by HappyCamper; 09-13-2011 at 10:38.
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Weather link posted earlier by Happy Camper purports to be for DS, not a nearby town. Temps look realistic.

• + New Posts
  • Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast