Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast
    Tracy,

Sorry to hear that, hope your sister recovers fully.

WV is correct. The weather link references the NOAA weather zone 41 which is Tucker County.
    "There are places in this world that are neither here nor there, neither up nor down, neither real nor imaginary. These are the in-between places, difficult to find and even more challenging to sustain." - Thomas Moore

Hammock
    WBBB, D.I.Y. KSSH
    Tarp
    ZPacks
    Insulation
    H.G. & Warbonnet
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutch
    HappyCamper, sorry to hear about your sister. I hope she recoverers quick & fully.

I'm currently laying back in the Blackbird partaking in a cold beverage & enjoying the beautiful weather. Right now in the blackwater area it's sunny with scattered clouds. The temp in Thomas said 71. Wind is blowing and the Blackwater river is a little high, not bad, just a little.

Hammock
    warbonnet BB 1.1 single layer
    Tarp
    Zpacks cuben fiber
    Insulation
    cottage down
    Suspension
    whoopie, Flyz, CRL
    Quote Originally Posted by crackedup View Post
    HappyCamper, sorry to hear about your sister. I hope she recoverers quick & fully.

I'm currently laying back in the Blackbird partaking in a cold beverage & enjoying the beautiful weather. Right now in the blackwater area it's sunny with scattered clouds. The temp in Thomas said 71. Wind is blowing and the Blackwater river is a little high, not bad, just a little.
    Crackedup, will water be plentiful on our hikes? also, is there much of a cell signal out there? i would imagine not but it would be nice to send word back home during the trip.
    who learns will love and not destroy
    the creature's life, the flower's joy

Cell service at Dolly Sods is very, very limited in my experience. Water quantity should be fine.
    "There are places in this world that are neither here nor there, neither up nor down, neither real nor imaginary. These are the in-between places, difficult to find and even more challenging to sustain." - Thomas Moore

Hammock
    WBBB, D.I.Y. KSSH
    Tarp
    ZPacks
    Insulation
    H.G. & Warbonnet
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutch
    Sweetbabyd-yes, I believe the new routes WV setup has water along the way at some points or another to filter/treat. As for cell service, I have no idea. Maybe WV or someone else could chime in with that answer.

Thanks vdeal.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    We'll need to carry water along the Rocky Ridge Trail. Otherwise we'll be swimming in it. The "Red" in Red Creek clogs filters pretty fast.

Cell phone? I don't know - don't have one.

Might do the loop to Raven Ridge in reverse. We can discuss that at the trailhead and decide when we get near the Forks. I recall seeing a little stream running through the rocks of the trail up on the Breathed Mountain Trail, but the MNF guide doesn't mention water along that trail. Also the trees are pretty small up there. I think I could find a place to hang one hammock, but I'm not sure about nine. We'll see. There are other options. One reason to reverse the loop would be to do the Rocky Ridge Trail on Friday instead of Thursday, when there might be a view (and sunshine). Of course that would mean we'd get to experience part of the Dobbin Grade Trail in Thursday's weather - the quintessential Dolly Sods experience. I can't wait.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Zpacks cuben fiber
    Insulation
    cottage down
    Suspension
    whoopie, Flyz, CRL
    Quote Originally Posted by vdeal View Post
    Cell service at Dolly Sods is very, very limited in my experience. Water quantity should be fine.
    thank you for the reply vdeal!

Hammock
    Tarp
    Zpacks cuben fiber
    Insulation
    cottage down
    Suspension
    whoopie, Flyz, CRL
    Sweetbabyd-yes, I believe the new routes WV setup has water along the way at some points or another to filter/treat. As for cell service, I have no idea. Maybe WV or someone else could chime in with that answer.

Thank you crackedup! see you soon! sending you a PM

Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    We'll need to carry water along the Rocky Ridge Trail. Otherwise we'll be swimming in it. The "Red" in Red Creek clogs filters pretty fast.

Cell phone? I don't know - don't have one.

Might do the loop to Raven Ridge in reverse. We can discuss that at the trailhead and decide when we get near the Forks. I recall seeing a little stream running through the rocks of the trail up on the Breathed Mountain Trail, but the MNF guide doesn't mention water along that trail. Also the trees are pretty small up there. I think I could find a place to hang one hammock, but I'm not sure about nine. We'll see. There are other options. One reason to reverse the loop would be to do the Rocky Ridge Trail on Friday instead of Thursday, when there might be a view (and sunshine). Of course that would mean we'd get to experience part of the Dobbin Grade Trail in Thursday's weather - the quintessential Dolly Sods experience. I can't wait.
    thank you so much for planning these hikes WV! see you soon and also sending you a PM

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.0
    Tarp
    WBBMJ
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    The only places I can confirm cell service is along the northern end of forest road 70 between bear rocks and red creek campground, and along raven and rocky ridge trails. Effectively, the two ridgelines forming the border of the sods. I have Verizon service, and you can actually get 3g in those spots. Service elsewhere is unlikely unless you are above 4000 feet, and get a line of site to a tower.

Otherwise, my phone serves as my camera. Having service is nice for getting a quicker GPS lock for geotagging photos, but I usually don't take too many anymore, since I've been there quite a few times.
    Mike, Backcountry Mentor
    https://backcountrymentor.com
    Check me out on YouTube!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuhqpe2xIWBXRVtpB5dxAJA

Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    I recall seeing a little stream running through the rocks of the trail up on the Breathed Mountain Trail, but the MNF guide doesn't mention water along that trail.
    There is a small water source on Breathed Mt. Tr. when you come up from Red Creek Tr. and first top out. There's a little copse of trees with about two campsites and the stream is right by it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast