Hammock
    WBBB, D.I.Y. KSSH
    Tarp
    ZPacks
    Insulation
    H.G. & Warbonnet
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutch
    No problem HappyCamper, I hope to make it also. I actually put in for vacation the entire week, 9-10 to 9-18, the only thing that could come up is an emergency that I would have to postpone my vacation. This is rare and has not happened to me yet in the 10 yrs I have worked with my current employer, so it looks real promising for me to make it. If I do, I'll probably be up there, or at least somewhere in the Mountains hanging that entire week. If it happens to be Dolly I'll try to keep you updated on weather conditions.

If any of the links have a problem, please let me know. If anyone has a question about how to transfer or get things working in Google or with the files let me know. I'll try to help out as much as possible. Just PM me so we don't clutter things up too much here.

If anyone has no way to print out the topo maps and would like a copy, let me know. I can print 11x17 color, PM me on this also.

I forgot one other link that you may want is Link to NOAA magnetic declination. For this year Declination = 9° 16' W changing by 0° 1' W/year.

HC,

Since this part of Dolly Sods is now Federal Wilderness how are you getting around the rule on maximum group size for all Monongahela National Forest Wilderness areas of 10 people? Just curious.
    "There are places in this world that are neither here nor there, neither up nor down, neither real nor imaginary. These are the in-between places, difficult to find and even more challenging to sustain." - Thomas Moore

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    Hiya V. Good question. This is not a big group hike. We usually do not hike in groups of more than 4 or 5. Even though you see this long list of people, some people will start hiking Wed or Thursday. Others do Friday. Some even wait until Satuday to start and some have to leave on Saturday. Some have told me they are not hiking, but are staying at Red Creek Campground and said to stop on by and say hello. They are interested in the bird banding.

That's why I called it a "freestyle event" in the first post. People are starting out on different days, different times, different trail heads, and hiking different routes. In the first post I encourage people to explore different routes. Some of us are just ending up in the same place at the end of the day. And even then the group is not one large group. That's why we picked the camping areas we did. People spread out into the different established camping areas so that we don't go over the number of people allowed. There are no organized group meals or anything like that that gathers people into one spot like at other hangs. Some of us don't even see others that are listed here unless you make the effort to hike around and meet everyone. (And you may still miss some that are camping in out of the way places.) Saturday and Sunday mornings -- again people start at different times and take different routes. So there will not be groups of 10 or more hiking together either day. Last year I think the largest group we may have had was 6 hiking together.

Last year we saw a large boy scout troop come up on the mountain in a bunch of vans together. We had the same conversation with them. Asking how they hiked it with all the scouts. They told us they split up in to different hiking groups and start from different trailheads.
    Last edited by HappyCamper; 08-02-2011 at 17:39.

Thanks T for the clarification. I figured something like that but wanted clarification. Should be fun. Maybe I'll be able to wander through during that time.
    "There are places in this world that are neither here nor there, neither up nor down, neither real nor imaginary. These are the in-between places, difficult to find and even more challenging to sustain." - Thomas Moore

Hammock
    Hennessey Asym
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    Lots of it!!!!
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Really looking forward to an honest to goodness non-scout camp-out! My neighbor is a recent convert and has graciously offered transport down for the hang. I will be setting up at base-camp and will try to toddle up and see some of you guys' rigs. Maybe will gather a bunch of wood for some kind of Bonfire for Saturday night if anyone wants to depart early Sunday.
    Silver on the Sage, Starlit Sky's above, Swingin' from the trees in a Hammock that I love.....

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wi1ecoyote View Post
    Really looking forward to an honest to goodness non-scout camp-out! My neighbor is a recent convert and has graciously offered transport down for the hang. I will be setting up at base-camp and will try to toddle up and see some of you guys' rigs. Maybe will gather a bunch of wood for some kind of Bonfire for Saturday night if anyone wants to depart early Sunday.
    Wi1ecoyte,
    What day do you think you will be getting there? Are you planning on camping at Red Creek campground?
    Last edited by HappyCamper; 08-03-2011 at 20:29.
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

Hammock
    Hennessey Asym
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    Lots of it!!!!
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    That was what I was figuring on. My friend Paul who is driving down will probably want to come down Friday.
    Silver on the Sage, Starlit Sky's above, Swingin' from the trees in a Hammock that I love.....

Hammock
    WBBB, D.I.Y. KSSH
    Tarp
    ZPacks
    Insulation
    H.G. & Warbonnet
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutch

My Dolly Sods Plans

It's looking really good for me to make it so far. After studying the map a little last night and reading one of my trail books on Dolly Sods I came up with a tentative hike route I plan on taking. Since we still have 5 weeks till the hang, this could change a little, but I thought I would share my plans with everyone. This way anyone interested in taking this route with or without me could schedule their time. This entire hike is based on seeing as much as Dolly Sods as I could, which includes the higher plateau's of North Dolly Sods, and the Mountainous regions of South Dolly Sods. It also includes meeting up at the designated hang areas and some really good photo opportunities. Like I said, this could change a little depending on weather and/or how my knee holds up. I'm going to delay any trips I planed until after this hang to give my knee a chance to rest.

Enough jabbering, on with the routes.
    Thursday Morning-Park at the TR522 (Bear Rocks) trail head. Leave in the morning before noon, like to hit the trail as early as possible, between 6-9 would be great. Begin on TR522 (Bear Rocks), to TR521 (Raven Ridge), to TR524 (Rocky Ridge), down TR526 (Dobbin Grade) and camp in the valley near the Left Fork of Red Creek. [Edit: WV mentioned below of a camp spot, after looking on my areal photo i can see what looks like that spring? Anyway there does look like allot more trees in that area. This would be another camp option] Options would be to cut out TR524 (Rocky Ridge) and head down TR521 (Raven Ridge) or TR523 (Beaver View). This would work if someone came late and would like to meet up at the camp spot, or wanted to make a little shorter day. Some features of these trails are large sloping valleys, long views, and unique flora/fauna. Rocky Ridge trail has some outstanding views of Canaan Valley, Timberline Ski slopes, and an amazing array of rocky outcrops. Should hear some coyotes Thursday night. Approximate mileage 6.5.

Friday-Easy Day and can leave almost anytime, so breakfast, lounging and building up gumption to go is possible. Head up and out of the valley on TR526 (Dobbin Grade) to TR509 (Upper Red Creek), to TR511 (Blackbird Knob) and end up at Friday nights hammock hang meeting point. More open scenery in the upper sections then more wooded areas further south toward camp. Once at camp a quick dunk in Red Creek may be in order. Approximate mileage 4.

Saturday-Another early rise as this may be the longest hike of the trip but should offer some beautiful scenery. Day will start heading up TR511 (Blackbird Knob), to TR513 (Big Stonecoal), to TR554 (Rocky Point), to TR514 (Red Creek), ending up at hammock hang spot two. Lots of hardwoods and hillsides with the grand view coming from Rocky Point. This will be a good place to take a nice break, take in the scenery, and take a mental imprint. A couple options for this day would be to head down TR514 (Red Creek) at the start then up TR553 (Breathed Mountain) possibly find a bushwhack shortcut to TR513 (Big Stonecoal). Another option would be to camp out on top of Rocky Point Saturday night. This would be a great sunset/sunrise, but would miss hammock hang night two and would double the hike out for Sunday. [Edit: I was thinking that i have not done any night hikes. If i spend more time on Rocky Point, like hanging out enjoying the view, or catching a sunset, this would open up an early evening into dark hike back to hang spot two] Approximate miles for original route, 8.

Sunday-Goodbye's and cries as we know the work week ahead is coming and another trip ending. Head out whenever and work up TR514 (Red Creek) to TR511 (Blackbird Knob) to TR509 (Upper Red Creek), to TR526 (Dobbin Grade) and back onto TR522 (Bear Rocks). End the day at the ride home. This should be a beautiful ending to the weekend through the unique landscape of upper Dolly Sods. The gentle up slope should also work out any soreness gathered over the weekend and be somewhat easy. Possible alternatives would be to bribe a fellow hanger that parked a little closer to Saturday nights hang to give a poor weary wore out fellow hanger a ride back to Bear Rocks. Approximate total miles for Sunday, 5.5.

That's it, that's my plan, I just hope it works out for me to do it. If anyone is interested in joining me, you are more than welcome. Like I said, it should offer up most of what Dolly Sods has to offer and give some outstanding views if the weather is nice. I know sometimes the fog will roll in on Dolly Sods and take quite awhile to clear out. Just to let anyone that may be interested know, I'm not a fast hiker. I like to take in the scenery and look around from time to time. I will also stop and break especially at scenic views, nothing beats leaning back on a pack overlooking a scenic spot with the wind gently blowing. Gotta love it.
    Last edited by BearChaser; 08-04-2011 at 18:12.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    CrackedUp, that's a nice plan. There's a nice campsite where the S. end of the Beaver View Trail meets Dobbin Grade, and I think there's a spring along Dobbin Grade within 1/2 mile of there.

Enjoy those 6" round rocks that are the Rocky Point Trail (like walking on cantaloupes, except they're hard enough to hurt your feet) , but don't worry it's not a long stretch, and the trail's worth it.

If I start early enough, you could meet me on the Rocky Ridge Trail coming the other way.

Hammock
    WBBB, D.I.Y. KSSH
    Tarp
    ZPacks
    Insulation
    H.G. & Warbonnet
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutch

Waterfall Slide

Anyone familiar with this area of Red Creek? Sounds like it's near the second hammock hang sight just downstream maybe? From what I have read it's a natural water slide down into a swimming hole. I would love to give this a go, anyone wanna join me?

Link to picture of the slide. Its the 2nd row down, middle picture. Click on it to enlarge.
    Waterfall Slide Pic

WV, hope to see ya on the trail, maybe give the water slide a try.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast