Senior Member AppalachianHammock's Avatar

nick in ripstop fabric?

So with my latest diy 1.9oz ripstop hammock, I was teaching the family dog to jump in and out (with the help of some cookies) and when we were done, I noticed a spot where her nail must have caught the fabric just right, and there is a small, "nick" in the fabric. you can feel it, and when I put my finger on the other side of the fabric, I can see my finger, but it isnt torn all the way through.

My question is: is it ok to use with the small nick (around 1/2" long) or should I watch it carefully? or should I sew a ripstop patch on both sides?

Hammock
    Black Diamond Portaledge
    Insulation
    900fp Down
    I generally try to fix any tears in my gear asap, especially if there is a chance it could rip further.

Without seeing the damage or knowing the location it's hard to say if a complete tear would even matter, but a fix wouldn't hurt.

Now if it's not much of a tear and not somewhere your going to drop a knee into all the time then it might not matter.
    Evan Cabodi
    Black Rock Gear
    www.blackrockgear.com

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY DWR nylon
    Insulation
    DIY pad
    Suspension
    Depends
    I would mend it. The tear outs I have had happened quick. And it will go when you least want it to.
    An emergency of my own making...is still an emergency.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    I have used a ripstop hammock with a hole the size of a quarter in it. However, I did not use it for long periods at a time. There are patch kits for nylon that stretch and a glued on. I don't remember the name but that would be my suggestion. Sewing a patch on would just add more localized stress and potentially make things worse. I know duct tape (real duct tape) has been used successfully.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Senior Member AppalachianHammock's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    I have used a ripstop hammock with a hole the size of a quarter in it. However, I did not use it for long periods at a time. There are patch kits for nylon that stretch and a glued on. I don't remember the name but that would be my suggestion. Sewing a patch on would just add more localized stress and potentially make things worse. I know duct tape (real duct tape) has been used successfully.
    Well, nothing is really "torn". I looked at it with a flashlight behind it, and it just seems like the threads are sorta split, like opened up a tiny bit.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nc527 View Post
    Well, nothing is really "torn". I looked at it with a flashlight behind it, and it just seems like the threads are sorta split, like opened up a tiny bit.
    You might be ok... try putting the hammock on a hard smooth surface (not concrete... more like a countertop) and smushing it around to reorganize the weave. If nothing is broken that might help. Don't hang higher than you are willing to fall is a good guideline for testing this kind of situation.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

• + New Posts