Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    Arrowhead Toxaway
    Insulation
    Wilderness Logics
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    I set the sag/tightness by grabbing the ridge line and giving it a twist. If I can rotate my hand 90 degrees it is just right. Any looser and there is a ridge pressing against my left calf. When I'm in the rack, I can still rotate the ridge line a bit between thumb and fingers--- taut, but not guitar string tight. I do set it with the foot end just a little higher. The ring inside the left pull-out is a little below my elbow when I'm stretched out and my feet are a couple inches clear of the side. I'm 5'10", so 6' would be a full load I think. If the hang is too loose, the area gets smaller too-- more bow.

Setting the side pull-outs well makes for more room and keeps the sides from sagging and flopping and the bug net out of my face. Higher is better. A few degrees change in the angle of pull can make a difference.

I don't get it with the ridge line. If it is truly structural, it should be able to take the stated load without breaking. Granted, if you string it really tight, it does have a lot more stress on it.

Take a look at Hennessy's setup video-- he strings it flat-- no 30 degree biz at all. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfNIr...yer_detailpage
    Last edited by DaleW; 08-12-2011 at 23:46.

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DaleW View Post
    ?..I don't get it with the ridge line. If it is truly structural, it should be able to take the stated load without breaking. Granted, if you string it really tight, it does have a lot more stress on it.

Take a look at Hennessy's setup video-- he strings it flat-- no 30 degree biz at all. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfNIr...yer_detailpage
    Structural, yes, but not indestructible.

Tom does instruct users to string it up flat. I think it has to do with the figure 8 knots used to tie the suspension to the tree huggers. I find that even if it starts flat you end up with about the 30 degree angle after loading it and the knots tighten up.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 or BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Tewa, Speer, H.G.
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images
    I really appreciate the help all of you have offered. You all rock so much its beyond descriptive words.

So I just recently got back from my aunts summer home on Swans Island, ME. My parents and aunts/uncles all had beds while I slept on this ****** thing I can't even explain. My back bothered me. Then a light bulb went off in my head, HAMMOCK!

So I slept in that...and was very comfortable. Not to mention my cousins and their dog were very intrigued lol. I messed with everything you folks suggested. I believe my problem was the ridgeline tension. I made sure it was slack and walla...no more crease on my left calf. It was perfect! I do not have a CCF pad to sit on/foot pad, but dont think I will need it as after allowing slack I felt much better. I also had the foot end higher as well.

Really appreciate the advise. I knew it had to be something in my set up because I had it down a few times, just not realizing what I was doing ya know. But now I know what to look for the crease shall cease!
    "In seed time learn, in harvest teach, in winter enjoy." -D'Signore's, Tide Mill Farm, Edmunds, Maine.

Hammock
    All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadphans View Post
    I really appreciate the help all of you have offered. You all rock so much its beyond descriptive words.

So I just recently got back from my aunts summer home on Swans Island, ME. My parents and aunts/uncles all had beds while I slept on this ****** thing I can't even explain. My back bothered me. Then a light bulb went off in my head, HAMMOCK!

So I slept in that...and was very comfortable. Not to mention my cousins and their dog were very intrigued lol. I messed with everything you folks suggested. I believe my problem was the ridgeline tension. I made sure it was slack and walla...no more crease on my left calf. It was perfect! I do not have a CCF pad to sit on/foot pad, but dont think I will need it as after allowing slack I felt much better. I also had the foot end higher as well.

Really appreciate the advise. I knew it had to be something in my set up because I had it down a few times, just not realizing what I was doing ya know. But now I know what to look for the crease shall cease!
    glad you got it right for you man
    Dale Gribble: I'm thinking, "new hammock." For me, laying and swaying in a hammock is like a steady morphine drip without the risk of renal failure.

Randy : yea but just remember yer roots and where ya come from....you got Hennessy in yer blood son......

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 or BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Tewa, Speer, H.G.
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images

Heres a pic. I have a few more pics from the trip (hammock related). Ill get them uploaded and put them somewheres, either here or trip reports. Though it wasn't a backpacking trip. But the view from he hammock was amazing, gotta share! I used the stock fly this day for the weather was iffy. But the rest of the days were real nice, so tarp came off. Was so soothing to listen to the waves hit the rocks right there.

Thanks Newton, appreciate it again buddy! (And everyone!)
    "In seed time learn, in harvest teach, in winter enjoy." -D'Signore's, Tide Mill Farm, Edmunds, Maine.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123