Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Tewa, Speer, H.G.
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images

Feet sometimes feel crammed

Yup, its true. Sometimes my feet feel really crammed in the foot box. Maybe I am not hanging my foot end high enough...or pulling out the shock cord far enough. What do you think? This is when I am not using a sleeping pad - which seems to give the foot box structure and I don't have that problem at all. But sometimes I do not want to lug the therm-a-rest to save weight. Perhaps I am not far enough up in the hammock...perhaps I will just have to bring the therm-a-rest all the time.

HH expedition bottom entry.

Thanks!
    "In seed time learn, in harvest teach, in winter enjoy." -D'Signore's, Tide Mill Farm, Edmunds, Maine.

Hammock
    HH Ultralite Backpacker Zip
    Tarp
    stock hennessy
    Insulation
    HH super shelter
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    I've had the same problem in that hammock. I'm almost 6' 1" so I have that going against me. One thing that helps is raising the foot end a little higher than the head so you don't slide down. I made a bigger hammock. How tall are you?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 or BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Tewa, Speer, H.G.
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images
    I am only 5'6" or 5'7" - weigh 140 if that matters at all too. I am wondering if I am not going back in the hammock far enough and having my foot box a bit higher than I have been.
    "In seed time learn, in harvest teach, in winter enjoy." -D'Signore's, Tide Mill Farm, Edmunds, Maine.

Hammock
    kbwaddy
    Tarp
    valesko
    Insulation
    ahurst
    Suspension
    dutch
    HH doesn't have a footbox - and i may be going out on a limb here, but your complaint is just one main reason brandon worked to create the wbbb with a footbox. it essentially maximizes the usable hammock space, alleviating this tendency to slip into the HH netting and feel foot cram.
    "Jeff-Becking"

DOWNTOWN BROWN!!!!

Hammock
    All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    im gonna go ahead and agree with statement about moving the foot end a little higher. at first I was going to say get the bigger hennessy model but then you said you werent around 6 ft. so Id say try adjusting the way you hang the hammock. also how tight is the ridgeline when your in the hammock?
    Dale Gribble: I'm thinking, "new hammock." For me, laying and swaying in a hammock is like a steady morphine drip without the risk of renal failure.

Randy : yea but just remember yer roots and where ya come from....you got Hennessy in yer blood son......

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    I'm not personally familiar with the Hennesseys, but when I read your post, I immediately thought of Shug's method (using his DIYs or Warbonnet) of putting a little square of closed cell foam (about 15 inches square or so) under his feet. That may give your foot box the "structure" you like and still free you up from a full pad. Just thinkin' out loud... . Good luck!
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

Hammock
    not quite eno..
    Tarp
    10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    @Pip- exactly what I was going to say!
    +1 on the mini pad- also doubles as a sit pad for wet logs and rocks and such.
    KM(who is not dealing with any wetness this summer, can somebody send some, please?)

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 or BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Tewa, Speer, H.G.
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images
    I like the idea of the therm-a-rest pad at the feet. Great idea actually. Thanks. I am first going to see if I can solve this problem without having to buy anything. I feel its a set up issue because it doesn't always happen. I need to be more aware when setting up. But if not, than the therm-a-rest pad is whats gonna happen.

The ridge line is actually tighter than the two fingers turn 90 degree method. Its more like two fingers turning maybe 15 degrees. I should mess around with slack and get that dialed in correctly.

Oh and your right, when I said foot box I really meant the end in where your feet go. I did not realize there was such a thing as a foot box when talking about hammocks. But I wanted to point out, its not me slipping in to the netting...its going the opposite way in to the center of the hammock actually. When I lay diagonal there forms a crease between the center of the hammock and the foot end "side walls" of the hammock...that in which my feet slip right in to this crevasse thus the cramming of the feet.

K, I got some testing to do, so I am heading to the hammock outside...thanks again.

Hammock
    switchback, wbbb, clark ul
    Tarp
    oes standard/ultra
    Insulation
    jrb uq/ leighlo tq
    Suspension
    diy whoopiesling
    I used to have the same problem with my clark hammock, my solution was to get it dialed in the way I liked it, then use my body to gauge the perfect set up hieght.ie head end at chest hieght, foot end at eye hieght, good luck

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kmanclutch View Post
    I've had the same problem in that hammock. I'm almost 6' 1" so I have that going against me. One thing that helps is raising the foot end a little higher than the head so you don't slide down. I made a bigger hammock. How tall are you?
    I have only used the longer HHs, and have never had any foot room problems except in the early days when I tried to hang it level ( per directions) and slid right down into the foot area. I am 6'1", and if I slip down at all I can run out of room in the foot area. If I don't hang the WBBB correctly, I can have the same problem, sliding too far down. Probably, each person, depending on how their body weight is distributed, needs to experiment with this. But in my experience, I have not had any trouble in the HH foot area(again, a longer hammock) unless I had her hung wrong for me.

Now, the DJ XL has bugged me a few times at the foot/net/zipper intersection. But this was likely due to the above, I don't think I always had that problem each hang. Plus, when I lay the other way, with the zipper to my left, no problems anyway. ( not near as much experience with this model)

Here's the funny part. With a JRB BMBH ( and somewhat the GrizzBridge also) just the opposite. If I don't hang the head end HIGHER than the foot, my head will be down hill. I have to start out with a very noticeably higher head end to end up level. It is possible to slip into the foot end, but not unless the head is significantly higher than the foot.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadphans View Post
    I am only 5'6" or 5'7" - weigh 140 if that matters at all too. I am wondering if I am not going back in the hammock far enough and having my foot box a bit higher than I have been.
    Well hard to imagine that you don't have enough foot room even in the shorter model you are using. You should still have some inches to spare. If your head and shoulders are positione about where they are supposed to be, at your height you should have plenty of room for your feet. So I'm guessing you are slipping way down there. Hang the foot preposterously high ( just to test) and get in with your sholuder a little above the hammock side tie out, and see how that works.

Quote Originally Posted by KerMegan View Post
    @Pip- exactly what I was going to say!
    +1 on the mini pad- also doubles as a sit pad for wet logs and rocks and such.
    KM(who is not dealing with any wetness this summer, can somebody send some, please?)
    Do you usually have at least a piece of CCF with you to sit on? If so, might as well put that sucker in the foot area for warmer feet AND to open the hammock up a bit.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast