Hammock
    Camo Clark NX 250
    Tarp
    Custom Smokehouse

Sleeping bag to underquilt

I know that somewhere in this forum a how to for this project must exist. But the search function failed me, so I turn to the mercy of my fellow forum members for help. Where is a guide on how to turn a rectangular sleeping bag into an underquilt?
    Rules to live by:The Wizards Rules
    Anything can be solved by the proper application of High Explosives. Or a shot of whiskey...
    Meaning of the EOD Badge
    Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) is a science of vague assumptions based on debatable figures derived from inconclusive experiments, performed by persons of doubtful mental capability with instruments of problematic accuracy.

Hammock
    Camo Clark NX 250
    Tarp
    Custom Smokehouse
    Good enough to get started. Guess it is either that simple, or just one of those thing you have to try and learn yourself for it to make sense.
    Anything can be solved by the proper application of High Explosives. Or a shot of whiskey...
    Meaning of the EOD Badge
    Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) is a science of vague assumptions based on debatable figures derived from inconclusive experiments, performed by persons of doubtful mental capability with instruments of problematic accuracy.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End 1.9
    Tarp
    STS 10x10 Escapist
    Insulation
    DIY Full Length UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Straps
    If you have a wide enough sleeping bag you can always rig as a pod. That's what I did this past weekend and it worked out great. I used one of my older bags that zipped all the way open like a blanket and slipped my hammock through it. Since it's summer, you might not even need a pad. Wish I took a pic of it but you can get the idea. I can always take a pic of it in my backyard if you need a visual reference.

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    DIY underquilt
    Suspension
    Tree straps & CRL
    I just made one from a rect sleeping bag that zipped out flat and tested it down to the 30's (11,500 feet in Colorado). I slept warm and snug. No cold spots, no drafts. I highly recommend this for an UQ.

Took off zipper. Poked a small hole at each corner of sleeping bag, reinforced same, and ran a line through the bottom end and the top end. Pull tight and now have a gathered end UQ. When I crawled in the hammock (ENO DN) I just sank down into the UQ and it hugged me from head to toe and shoulder to shoulder. A light TQ and I was plenty warm. Slept great.

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    it's really easy to make a UQ out of an old sleeping bag... just measure out the size and mark it ... then sew along the lines
    then hem or add Grosgrain for your channels and your done ......

very easy first UQ for someone just starting out with a sewing machine
    but don't forget most cheap bags have very poor rating .. so if it's a 40F bag it's more like a 50F bag ... so when you use it as an UQ... it's going to be more like a summer UQ at best ... and don't forget it will not have a differential cut
    just some things to think about ...
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    Camo Clark NX 250
    Tarp
    Custom Smokehouse
    And now I have to Google "grosgrsain". As for uses, this is more of a dry run test for practice. I have no thread injector and no good experience with one if I had it. Family has one and my wifey to be has experience I believe. Mostly I would be using it downstairs in the basement on a ENO DN i want to get to learn with and hang from a Turtlelady stand.

That being said, thanks so much for all the advice!
    Meaning of the EOD Badge

Hammock
    Hennessey Safari
    Tarp
    Vertex by Clark
    Insulation
    DOWN & lots of it
    Suspension
    arrowhead's setup
    Images
    I have also made a UQ from a bag and I love it I have had it down to the teens and it worked great. I cut the bag to a () shape to give it a natural tub shape when I darted in the sides. Sewn in some channels for shock cord and added elastic to the ends to prevent cold air from running to the seat of the tub. I posted some pics in the Gallery for what they are worth. It was cheap, easy and warm!
    Whether trail or paddle don't you know
    My hammock is the way to go
    There peace and solitude I find
    To ease all troubles from my mind
    Both body and soul revel in delight
    As day surrenders to inky night

• + New Posts