Tarp
    DIY OGEE,WL BD
    Insulation
    Jarbridge UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images

Military Hammock

I just found a Military hammock with bugnet...I was wondering if anyone had any idea if they are decent and what type of hang it would give me...
    I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.
    Henry David Thoreau

Hammock
    Clark TX 250
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    straps
    That all depends...Is it genuine gov't. issue? or a cheap chi-com knock-off? I've had one of the real deal GI ones. Kinda minimal width, the top is virtually useless in any serious rain, the bottom was made of some kinda waxy treated heavy duty canvas which made it heavier'n a concrete block! A whole bunch of old hemp rope that tends to be rotten over time. hey... could you measure the length inside for me? Mine was only 5 ft. 6 ins. inside. Guess we are a bit bigger than our parents, grand parents.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY DWR nylon
    Insulation
    DIY pad
    Suspension
    Depends
    I hated mine. It's why I DIY my own.
    An emergency of my own making...is still an emergency.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images

Ditto

I've got a vietnam era surplus hammock that was my first introduction to this activity. If I wasn't so hard headed I would have given up on hammocks after the uncomfortable nights and being tossed out on the ground.

This hammock was kind of the worst of all worlds. It's not quite a gathered end but doesn't have spreader bars either. The ends are linked with a long section of nylon cord looped through a series of grommets to a big triangular chunk of aluminum on the suspension rope. With the cord and grommets it allows the fabric toward the center of the hammock to pull taught while at the same time letting the edges go slack seemingly at random. So, you end up trying to balance on a taught strap of fabric while the sides droop.

The "fly" on mine was a rotten little piece of mildew covered nylon that I immediately removed.

Even after this bad experience I tried a knockoff Chi-Com version from Sportsman's Guide. I think it might have been even worse.

Finally after much research I took the plunge about 7 years ago with my first HH and haven't looked back. Save yourself the headache of the military issue/style hammocks. They stink....

Hammock
    DIY Claytor, WL Snipe
    Tarp
    DIY OGEE,WL BD
    Insulation
    Jarbridge UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Here is the posting let me know..if you had any run in with this one...as a backup or extra one for people...it is listed in the minneapolis craigslist under hammocks...US Army...it has pics not versed enough to figure out...whipping and makes..
    I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.
    Henry David Thoreau

Hammock
    Clark TX 250
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    straps
    Do yourself a favor and save the money up for a real hammock, any hammock. That thing gives me nightmares just looking at it. It's not WW2, but a close clone. I got an alcoholic friend drunk and sold him the one I had. Said he just loved the military smell of it. (yeah, it was a rotten thing to do, but he is a big fan of everything military. What sold it was the loops underneath to hang an M1 Garand in) I took the money and got a Clark. Joe's happy, I'm happy.

Hammock
    WBBB,WBRR,DIY
    Tarp
    HG WP,WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchGear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ice man View Post
    Do yourself a favor and save the money up for a real hammock, any hammock. That thing gives me nightmares just looking at it. It's not WW2, but a close clone. I got an alcoholic friend drunk and sold him the one I had. Said he just loved the military smell of it. (yeah, it was a rotten thing to do, but he is a big fan of everything military. What sold it was the loops underneath to hang an M1 Garand in) I took the money and got a Clark. Joe's happy, I'm happy.
    I don't care who you are...that is funny!

• + New Posts