Tarp
    WB superfly
    Insulation
    various UGQ's
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas straps
    Images

Rules for hammock use?

Anyone help find posts in reference to back country camping, some parks have rules against back counntry camping outside of the designated sites.

I figure using a hammock could change things a bit.

Any folks in Michigan that have info pertaining to this in my area please speak up.

Hammock
    Darien 11'
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UnderGround Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Check the DNR website about dispersed camping, otherwise just go stealth or outlaw.
    Rules are of couse made to be broken....
    Its a proven fact that 78.4% of all statstics are made up on the spot.

Stone's Videos

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DBL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Sleeping BearTQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Straps and Slings
    Images
    Depends on where your at. MI parks aren't too bad about using them. Usual stuff about staying a certain distance from trails etc. Heck, this picture is on the DNR website. The Nat'l lakeshores might be a little stricter. I'm sure someone with more info will pop in.

hammock_1_280455_7 by Kevin Ridge, on Flickr
    Last edited by Dblcorona; 08-03-2011 at 12:02.
    "We don't stop hiking because we grow old,
    we grow old because we stop hiking."

-- Finis Mitchell,

Hammock
    1.1 Blackbird or Traveler SL
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti - all seasons
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    You are going to get mixed responses based on each state/county park... I know I do. Just call up that park you are looking to camp at and ask the question about hammocks.

If you are hiking on a scenic trail like the Appalachian Trail you can use the hammock at your discretion just camp well enough off trail and observe the fire laws in your area.
    "If you give a monkey a gun and he shoots someone, you dont blame the monkey"

The end of the world is not coming in December, it is happening now in my living room. - TFC Rick

http://watermonkey.net/

Youtube Channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/RaulPerez1?feature=mhee

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    No issues on this side of the state. I know the guys had several hangs at Pinckney and did not have problems.

I believe the rules are written that "nothing can be tied, nailed, or screwed into any tree." So the rangers have a descretion to enforce or ignore the hammock. Calling them will get the "by-the-book" rules, normally stating "No, you can not tie to the trees."
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Have not run into any problems here in NC. Our forum members in Florida complain about how they are not allowed to hang in the Florida State parks.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

MI parks have regulation like many states. I have camped at many backcountry sites in Michigan that have regulations concerning where you were allowed to camp in proximity to the sites(most do). However in my experience camping at countless sites under and over the bridge and talking to many rangers and DNR officers these rules are only enforced "ie tickets" if campers do harm to the environment or other campers complain. On this knowledge from rangers I have solo and in small groups stealth camped in many MI parks. Leave no trace. I have done this for more than three years and have found some spectacular spots to hang that fall outside of typical guidelines. That said I personally and encourage others to pay all campground fees where applicable because this money makes the many great parks that we love possible. If anyone takes this advice to heart please consider that erosion of sand dunes and trampling of vegetation leaves lasting and noticeable traces for others that wish to enjoy the area in the future. Erosion is a major issue in many lakes shore parks and wilderness areas. My favorites without regulations included the natural areas around Manistee there are no or minimal fees and they do not specify campgrounds past that they must be 300 feet from the lake-shore or a body of water.

Hammock
    3xWBBB1.0dbl, XLC, DIY
    Tarp
    superfly, maccat d
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ/UGQ/HG
    Suspension
    whoopies, E.trunks
    Most of the state Parks will won't fuss if you're not within 15ft or so of a site post. Every park I've been to which is most in Michigan will allow up to 3 hammocks per site. They are considered bivy sacks by rangers even though the law isn't written as such. Most sites are 4 people 2 tent max The most difficult place to hang is pictured rocks because of the mandated 15' rule to your site post. I had one encounter where I was 25' or so but wrote on the ticket hammock and the officer was understanding. I've never had an issue at Pinckney and if you do manistee or huron they are more concerned about distance to trail and fires. Most officers I've spoken to are fine if you exhibit good behavior. I've always wrote how many hammocks on the permit and asked to notify the rangers that do site checks to help soften their mind prior to arriving and seeing us distanced out.
    http://smartoutdoors.webs.com/ elephant trunks, tarp keys and crosses

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    WB superfly
    Insulation
    various UGQ's
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stonehooligan View Post
    Check the DNR website about dispersed camping, otherwise just go stealth or outlaw.
    Rules are of couse made to be broken....
    Yes I figured most people do this and leave no trace so all is good in the end.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    WB superfly
    Insulation
    various UGQ's
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bloomgorge View Post
    Most of the state Parks will won't fuss if you're not within 15ft or so of a site post. Every park I've been to which is most in Michigan will allow up to 3 hammocks per site. They are considered bivy sacks by rangers even though the law isn't written as such. Most sites are 4 people 2 tent max The most difficult place to hang is pictured rocks because of the mandated 15' rule to your site post. I had one encounter where I was 25' or so but wrote on the ticket hammock and the officer was understanding. I've never had an issue at Pinckney and if you do manistee or huron they are more concerned about distance to trail and fires. Most officers I've spoken to are fine if you exhibit good behavior. I've always wrote how many hammocks on the permit and asked to notify the rangers that do site checks to help soften their mind prior to arriving and seeing us distanced out.
    Thanks, the notify rangers that site checks is a great idea.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast