Hammock
    home-made
    Tarp
    home-made
    Images

What do I do with a short hammock?

I have made two DIY hammocks so far. One for my fiance and one for myself. Of course, hers is great and she loved the night she spent hanging on the back deck. "Slept better than in the tent," she says!

Unfortunately, my hammock didn't end up working quite as well. I settled for some shorter fabric so that I could go ahead and get it made. The finished result is 48x104 inches.
    I originally had it whipped (using an accordion fold) and used it for a couple of hours one afternoon. It seemed plenty comfortable, but I like to recline more than lay flat when I read. I adjusted it some to tighten up the sides for sleeping and when I slept in it the other night, couldn't seem to get quite comfortable.
    I re-whipped it using [url=http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showpost.php?p=8228&postcount=77'wilsonbmw's HH-style folding[/url]. Both the HH-style and the accordion fold seemed to leave a taught spot in the center of the hammock near the ends, where the accordion fold didn't in my fiance's (longer, 10 ft) hammock.

Is this because it's shorter, or just because I need to adjust the whipping?

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Trade with your fiance.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    home-made
    Tarp
    home-made
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    Trade with your fiance.
    I want her to keep enjoying it! If that means she's more comfortable than me, then so be it...
    Actually, she's the one who pointed out that the tightness in the middle is part of the problem. She is willing to trade with me, but I've already spoiled her by letting her sleep in the more comfortable of the two.

If worst comes to worse, I can separate the two halves and use the material to make some quilts (whether top or under remains to be seen).

edit add-on:
    Oh yeah, I re-whipped it again and tried an off-set whipping this time. I used Speer's bundling method and pulled out one side just a little bit, and the other side a whole bunch. I did the same on the other end, so that the opposite corners are tightened more, creating a decent flat spot when lying diagonally. It's still not right, but I think that it is better. I'll have to keep playing with it, though.
    Last edited by froldt; 03-22-2008 at 20:39. Reason: added desceiption of the latest attempt

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I was just kidding about trading. Anyhow you said you tied the end. Did you tie the hammock ends like speer has you do. I ask this because if you whip the ends it will give you another foot. http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeHammock2.html
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    home-made
    Tarp
    home-made
    Images
    I figured you were joking about trading, but I figured someone might suggest it seriously (she is almost a foot shorter than I am).
    I actually used the suggested page and mis-read at the top "instead of tying a knot in the end like Ed Speer suggests" and read it as "as Ed Speer Suggests"...

So, I'm not using a knot, but am just whipping the hammock. The measurements of 8'8" x 4' are when the hammock is hemmed and spread out flat on the floor.

Hammock
    DIYZipper top entry
    Tarp
    MEC silnylon
    Images
    I have found that a min requirement for me to get comfortable in a hammock is 55 to 58 inches wide by 10 feet long. The 10 feet in length reduces to approx 8' 6" from whipping to whipping when hung with a comfortable sag. My height is approx 5'10". Anything shorter than 10 feet of length forces me to have my head too close to the area where the folds tighten up when in the hammock, to be comfy. Not sure if that helps at all, but just my experience so far.
    What I lack in knowledge I MORE than make up for with opinions.
    Green Therapy

• + New Posts