Tarp
    JRB 11 X 10
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts
    Suspension
    Webbing, TG, DC

New Huggers

Hello!

I need to replace the tree huggers on two Hennesy hammocks (ULBP and EUL). The replacement is required due to the lines cutting through the loops.

NOTE: We have started to use carabiners for ease of setup and to avoid cutting through the straps again

I am trying to decide which way to go.

1. Order replacements from HH (simple easy solution just place the order, no thought required)

2. Order custom straps from another supplier..... What size? What kind of material? Can I get the loops sewn? Should I get the same size for both? (the orginal straps were much thinner on the ULBP)

3. Order custom straps with rings pre-sewn on each end with one ring big enough to pass the other ring through it. These would be used like a dogs chocker collar around the tree and the line would be tied to one of the rings. Are there any places I could order something like this from? What size and material? Would the rings be heavier than the carabiners? Is this just a silly though and I should just stick with the carabiners?

Thoughts? Opinions? Cries of heresy?

Thanks!

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    Still looking
    Insulation
    KAQ, Speer
    you might want to check with skinner. I think he has started selling straps and rings. He has some great gear, seems to enjoy coming up with new ideas. Give him a PM.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DGrav View Post
    2. Order custom straps from another supplier..... What size? What kind of material? Can I get the loops sewn? Should I get the same size for both? (the orginal straps were much thinner on the ULBP)
    If you just want straight up replacements for the huggers, get a pair of the simple slings from Strapworks. They are made from 1" seatbelt polyester webbing, come in whatever length you desire , and they sew the loops for you.
    Last edited by angrysparrow; 03-23-2008 at 10:13.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Trecklight Double
    Tarp
    JRB 11' x 10' Cat
    Insulation
    U.S. Poncho Liners
    Images
    +1 Strapworks does awesome work. They'll do custom orders too, but check out their listings I think I remember seeing an offering for a ring sewed to one end. Might of been a D ring though that I'm thinking of.

Hammock
    JRB James River Bridge
    Tarp
    JRB 11 X 10
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts
    Suspension
    Webbing, TG, DC
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    They are made from 1" seatbelt polyester webbing, come in whatever length you desire , and they sew the loops for you.

Is 1" strong enough for the EUL? The stock straps for the BPUL were 1" but the ones that came with the EUL were thicker (either 1.5" or 2")

Thanks,

-Don

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Images
    If yours are failing Hennessey should replace them for free I would think, you might want to check. If your current ones will hold out until MAHAA you can also have my HH huggers. I cut my ropes and switched to cinch buckles. I used a biner mostly so they are in good shape.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    I sent email to Hennessy about my huggers fraying same as what you describe and they sent me new at no cost.

If HH wont replace em, I will shamelessly plug strapworks as well. Work great with carabiners, & cinch buckles. I ordered for 4 hammocks, so I got 4x15' sections, with loops sewn into BOTH ends for redundancy. I also got them in case I needed them. (har)

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DGrav View Post
    Is 1" strong enough for the EUL? The stock straps for the BPUL were 1" but the ones that came with the EUL were thicker (either 1.5" or 2")
    They are certainly strong enough for that.

If you want something with even more abrasion resistance than the 1" seatbelt polyester, Strapworks also sells the same slings in regular polyester. Those are heavier, but thicker.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    JRB James River Bridge
    Tarp
    JRB 11 X 10
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts
    Suspension
    Webbing, TG, DC
    Quote Originally Posted by Redtail View Post
    If yours are failing Hennessey should replace them for free I would think, you might want to check. If your current ones will hold out until MAHAA you can also have my HH huggers. I cut my ropes and switched to cinch buckles. I used a biner mostly so they are in good shape.
    I emailed Hennessy right after the MAHAA fall hang, after not a couple of weeks with no response I resent the email and promptly received a reply apologizing for neglecting to respond and a link to the HH site where I could purchase new straps. Thanks for the offer but I plan on doing a bunch of hanging between now an MAHHA

Quote Originally Posted by traviso71 View Post
    If HH wont replace em, I will shamelessly plug strapworks as well. Work great with carabiners, & cinch buckles. I ordered for 4 hammocks, so I got 4x15' sections, with loops sewn into BOTH ends for redundancy. I also got them in case I needed them. (har)
    I am going to go with Strapworks. Now I just need to decide what length. . . . . I'm thinking 4.5ft, there have been a few times where he stock 3.5ft either do not make it all around the tree or they make it one and a half times around which does not work too well with the biners.

While on the tree hugger topic is there any danger or risk associated with running the strap around the tree, threading one end of the strap through the loop on the other end, and then tying off to a carabiner in the loop? I've wanted to do this few times but was not sure how safe it would be.

Thanks for all the help!

• + New Posts