DIY
    Tarp
    DIY DWR nylon
    Insulation
    DIY pad
    Suspension
    Depends

Quilt hammock?

I see so many posts about insulation. So my question is...

Should I make a quilted hammock? I mean, why carry so many separate things? I could just go 3 inches (or whatever) wider on the bottom layer, throw in some batting, and quilt the whole dang thing. It would just be another hammock. I am going to make more anyway... "huh, this feels nice. I like how this feels, and it's not too stretchy. Y'know what? This would make a great hammock..." lol.

I could sew in a top quilt "flap" shaped to the hammock, and even throw on a footbox. Just lay on it if I get warm.

Only reason I am thinking about this (and I am plenty busy sewing other stuff) is I like dealing with fewer things, suspension, insulation-wise.

Has anyone done this already? If so, did it suck? It would be heavy, but a top quilt, underquilt can't be light or tiny, either. I'm not talking about a sleeping bag / hammock. I mean a dedicated winter ubershelter.
    An emergency of my own making...is still an emergency.

Hammock
    DIY Claytor, WL Snipe
    Tarp
    DIY OGEE,WL BD
    Insulation
    Jarbridge UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    I like the idea...what if you made with removable baffles that could be adjusted for different seasons...
    I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.
    Henry David Thoreau

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Justjeff made a down hammock, I think, as have a few others. The only issue I see is that Nylon stretches, so over time, you'd lose your loft... Now if you made the hammock out of low-stretch material like Polyester, you might be ok...

JustJeff's site: http://www.tothewoods.net, or maybe risks' site: http://www.imrisk.com
    John
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY DWR nylon
    Insulation
    DIY pad
    Suspension
    Depends
    Quote Originally Posted by ricecg View Post
    I like the idea...what if you made with removable baffles that could be adjusted for different seasons...
    I wouldn't have to. It would just be for winter. I think there would be at some point a temp where it would be too hot, and too cold. It would be nice to have it
    all in one bag, like a summer hammock. It would be a big heavy bag, is all.

I will check out the two sites, Mr. Sawyer. But I was thinking heavy cloth. Like 440 denier, or similar. Indestructible, and warm. With synthetic batting. If it is just about dead air space, I could sew an inflatable pad inside it. But it would have to be unpopable.
    Last edited by hippofeet; 08-03-2011 at 21:39.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 or BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Tewa, Speer, H.G.
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images
    Interesting concept. I like it. GL on your endeavors and if it happens, pics please.
    "In seed time learn, in harvest teach, in winter enjoy." -D'Signore's, Tide Mill Farm, Edmunds, Maine.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY DWR nylon
    Insulation
    DIY pad
    Suspension
    Depends
    I looked at jeffs v2. It's not at all what I'm thinking. Headchange4u's HH instructions, but ALL double layer and ALL quilted, gather to gather. I will find out what a quilting machine rental costs. If it's not retarded, I could get the whole thing stippled. I should just use my current DIY, its already over 3 pounds, without suspension. I will have to search and figure out how much loft to get down to under 20 degrees.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Be prepared - this post has a lot of steps condensed into a single paragraph with no pictures, but it should give you ideas. I've been making insulated hammocks for a couple of years. This is just one type ....

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY DWR nylon
    Insulation
    DIY pad
    Suspension
    Depends
    Just what I was thinking. Any opinion on whether it is any better? ease of setup, warmth? I want to cut large blocks (like you did) sew them to a polyester backing, fit that in the hammock, sew at the outside edge (under the zipper) and then add another polyester layer that would be the surface I lay on. I also want to get some reflectix or something for the half of my bugscreen that is solid.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hippofeet View Post
    Just what I was thinking. Any opinion on whether it is any better? ease of setup, warmth? I want to cut large blocks (like you did) sew them to a polyester backing, fit that in the hammock, sew at the outside edge (under the zipper) and then add another polyester layer that would be the surface I lay on. I also want to get some reflectix or something for the half of my bugscreen that is solid.
    Wait a minute! In the hammock? You want to lie in the hammock, with the insulating layer beneath the hammock so you don't compress the insulation. You also need to make the part that hangs under the hammock big enough that when the hammock fabric stretches under your weight you don't bottom out and compress the insulation that way. I may have misunderstood your intent, but I don't want to steer you wrong.

By the way, when you sew synthetic insulation to a layer of fabric, you can avoid tangles simply by putting the fabric on top. The insulation won't get caught in the feed dogs of the PTI. (I learned that on HF after I wrote my earlier description.)

It's complicated getting the insulating layer exactly the right size, but it is worth it, both for warmth and ease of set up. Using a hybrid of synthetic and down insulation helps, because the down will loft and fill any gaps below the hammock.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY DWR nylon
    Insulation
    DIY pad
    Suspension
    Depends
    WV, I understood you, and you have not steered me wrong. I already have a coated 200d cordura hammock for the lower body. It's windproof and waterproof, and holds a heck of a lot of weight. I am working on a project for someone else right now, and I had to learn how to make darts and hem complicated curves, and work off patterns as well as make them. I have made a couple easy quilts, I would not get the insulation in the feed dogs, if necessary I have about a half mile of tearaway backing paper, so I can sew batting in any way I need to,to get the side I want in the direction I want. I will basically be cutting up shaped "blocks" or panels, and sewing them into (cheap) fabric. I am hoping for a tight, sofa cushion effect. Then sewing those together to get a thick, preshaped inside the hammock liner. Then a smaller inside polyester layer to keep me off the insulation. After what I am doing now, I want to do this to relax my brain, and get ready for winter. I wonder though, if I should go with a IX or whatever thin layer. But I have no experience with any of the "high tech" insulation. I may need to go with something similar to DALEW's heat shield UQ,s, only cut and preshaped to a (except for gravity) loaded hammock body shape. This is doable. I appreciate any advice to help work out the kink's, or save me from a "DUH" moment. Oh, NOTHING will be sewn to the outer shell, I don't do that. All sewn at the inside edge of the zipper for the bugnet. I am nervous about down. It looks shifty to me, and I hate feather pillows. As an interesting note, when I was staying in Japan with my (ex)wife's parents, we slept on little head stands made of wood, for a pillow. No side sleepers there, apparently.

• + New Posts