Explain gathered end types.

I have built 4 hammocks now and just use a pleated fold on the ends.
    Probably about 2" fold then whip, but what other types of gathered ends are there and what difference does it make as far as comfort ??

Thanks

Hammock
    DIY bridge hammock
    Tarp
    OES/WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    WB Straps
    Images
    Check out info here, here and here.
    Syb
    Enjoy the elevation

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    9x10 tyvek
    Insulation
    ww blue ccf pad
    Suspension
    whoopies & toggles
    Images
    In addition to the pleat, JustJeff used a "W" fold which puts more tension on the sides and centerline--feels great for side sleeping, but not very comfy for back sleeping or just lounging around. There are members who use a combination of the two, pleat on one end, "W" on the other.

Then there is the sewn channel that you run some cordage through and cinch up--tie your suspension just below the cinched part and the bunched up material keeps the suspension in place. For me, this way was the most reliable for holding up the hammock, but there is a caveat--floppy sides. The cinched ends don't allow you to pull the corners like the pleated and whipped/tied. This gives your hammock floppy sides that fall in you face or allow your top insulation to fall out of your hammock.

After trying them all, I went back to the pleat with the top corners slightly pulled out, though if I find some time I migh try the whole pleat/"W" combo thing. So much of this is subject to personal preference that the only way to know which works best for you is to try it (when the Missus gets on my case for fiddling around with the hammock all day, I just tell her I'm doing it in the name of scientific experimentation for the advancement of comfort and camping (I don't think she really buys it, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it )).
    You're gonna need a bigger hammock

Hammock
    DIY R2B3 (Black Bear Burrito) + HUG
    Tarp
    Noah12, Mambajamba
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie + straps
    Images
    Then there is the sewn channel that you run some cordage through and cinch up--tie your suspension just below the cinched part and the bunched up material keeps the suspension in place. For me, this way was the most reliable for holding up the hammock, but there is a caveat--floppy sides. The cinched ends don't allow you to pull the corners like the pleated and whipped/tied. This gives your hammock floppy sides that fall in you face or allow your top insulation to fall out of your hammock.

One way to correct for this is to sew the channel on a curve, with the outer edges being shorter than the middle. This can alleviate a lot of the flop in the sides, I have made 2 where I curve down 3 inches on each corner, tapered to the middle over 8 inches. Draws the sides up quite nicely, and if you still need a little correction you can use the bungie cord-lock mod (Knotty's post?)
    .... the Aardvark (earth pig)... a rather unremarkable creature whose sole claim to fame is that it is the first animal listed in the dictionary.
    Rob

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    9x10 tyvek
    Insulation
    ww blue ccf pad
    Suspension
    whoopies & toggles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Aardvark View Post
    One way to correct for this is to sew the channel on a curve...
    I came VERY close to giving this a try a couple of months ago, but I came to the realization that I rather enjoy pulling the ends apart and trying something new every now and again--I just couldn't bring myself to do it. The solution, of course, is for me to make another hammock (just got the latest Hancock Fabrics coupons in the mail, so maybe it was meant to be) .
    You're gonna need a bigger hammock

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    I also like experimenting, sounds better than 'playing', with different folds. At this time my house hammock has 2" pleated corners, 3 pleats totaling 12" at each corner, the corners are brought together creating a single center fold. All is then bunched into a larkshead. Been using this one for a few nights and find it very comfortable. Was discussing other folds with propellerhead on another post and he had another fold method. It was in Knotty's sticky, gathered end hammock.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    Currently a DD travel hammoc
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    closed cell mat
    Suspension
    rope
    Just a thought.. im thinking of making my own hammock and found this thread interesting. It got me thinking though.. instead of pulling in the entire width of the hammock to the ends what whould happen if you cut a few triangles out the fabric abd stitch the long edges together to gather some of the hammock (cut about 100mm out of the head end and down to about 1/4 the legnth of the hammock. Do this say 4 times each end). This should not (I my mind) change the comfort much as the fabric is bunched up normally, but would reduce weight and fabric required. There should be enough fabric at the ends to suport a good hold.

Has anyone tried this? Would it do the same as curving the cut at the end as in tensioning the sides? Or would it have the opposite effect and make the sides even more floppy?
    There are no wrong ways to do things... Only alternative methods that don't work!!

• + New Posts