Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

DIY Checklist and Introduction

Hi,

I'm KLHinNC, and I am a Hammockolic.

I've had this problem for about a year now, and am just now coming to grips and embracing my addiction.

Hammock is a Grand Trunk camo UL from here.

Using a bug net that drapes over the top here. I may sew one side to the hammock and use snaps or magnets to secure the open side.

Suspension is 6' per side of 1" Polypro webbing, using lightweight brass rings, and some kevlar speargun cord (light, low stretch, high strength).

Tarp is a $10 PU 6'x8' camo tarp that barely covers the hammock on the diagonal, so I am looking at the Oldman Winter. Expensive, but better than anything I can make from Sil on my own right now. Also taking care of my NC peeps.

Ridgeline is 30' of the kevlar cord, siberian hitch knot on one side, trucker's hitch other side, using prusiks and paracord for the tarp attachment. I'm a climber, and I love knots.

Finally to the DIY project, an UQ.

I have an old Ledge 20* rectangular sleeping bag. I plan to cut this up to fit me as a 2/3 or 3/4 UQ. It's a synthetic bag, weighs bout 4lbs, but I bet I can cut it down to size and have it under 1.5lbs. Heavy by down standards, but essentially free. Expect it to be comfortable down to the 30*s with a thin CCF pad as backup for in the 20*s.

Will use my 0* synthetic bag that weights ~3lbs.

I have followed the various writeups, and feel pretty good about the parts and pieces. Here is what I have to put it together.

.125" shock cord for suspension.
    1.5" Polypro webbing as sleeves for the shock cord sewn to all 4 sides.
    A borrowed sewing machine with a #18 needle. (Yes, I am learning to sew for this project)

Please chime in with thoughts and suggestions.

K

Hammock
    WBBB,WBRR,DIY
    Tarp
    HG WP,WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchGear
    Images
    Nice first post. Welcome to HF from Mass.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Welcome aboard from Florida. Looks like your off to a good start, enjoy the madness.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    Welcome aboard from the Bull City.

Good call on the Oldman Winter, people who have them absolutely love them. As for your DIY project. You could save a bit of weight by using the sleeping bag material to make the channels for the shock cord. Basically you just stich the corners down at 45* angle first then make slightly wider rolled hems to run the shock cord through. Good luck with your conversion, it's a big piece to start with.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Welcome from Florida! Sounds like you are already having fun with your hammock!
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Welcome to the HF from Canada! Sounds like you're ahead of the game.
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Welcome, and good luck!

Hammock
    not quite eno..
    Tarp
    10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    I'll agree, using the webbing for shockcord channels is a bit overkill; it only has to support the weight of the quilt, not the whole rig. if you can nerve yourself for the ordeal, you might try some (oddly enough) quilt binding, found at your local sewing/quilting supply place. Having worked at such an establishment; I can tell you the quickest way to get in and out is to tell the first employee you see "My wife sent me for..."
    Hope that helps! KM(who has really seen this happen..extra believable if you also bring along a scrap of fabric for 'color matching')

Stopped by a fabric store last night to pickup some headliner for another project I am doing here. Scored a 3'x7' section of mosquito netting in a really nice dark green color. It's not no-see-um, but will use it for some DIY tarp socks, and maybe a few mesh bags.

While I was there I talked to the staff about some of the thread injection projects I had planned, and they were very helpful. Staff said I could probably fold and thread inject, then fold and inject a second/third time, and it would probably be strong enough. So, now that I have the netting, perhaps tonight I'll make my own tarp socks.

The dimensions I want to use are 6'x14"x7". That should be a good size for an Oldman Winter, when I finally sell some gear off.

I tried to get my girlfriend excited about making gear, hoping she would want to do the thread work for me... sadly no dice

K

Quote Originally Posted by Catavarie View Post
    Welcome aboard from the Bull City.

Good call on the Oldman Winter, people who have them absolutely love them. As for your DIY project. You could save a bit of weight by using the sleeping bag material to make the channels for the shock cord. Basically you just stich the corners down at 45* angle first then make slightly wider rolled hems to run the shock cord through. Good luck with your conversion, it's a big piece to start with.
    That's a good idea! I have little experience, but the material on the sleeping bag does seem stronger than on the newer 0* sleeping bag. I'll carve out a 1sqft section and test it out.

K

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast