Tarp
    ZPack CF/Superfly
    Insulation
    Mt Wsh 3/MMG Shamu
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by dejoha View Post
    What about Nootkatone?
    Wow, that shows promise! I'd love to get away from DEET!!!!

SN
    Please visit my AmJustDuane YouTube channel

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Isheian View Post
    Anyone know anything about Picaridin? It seems to be harmless to non insects period according to the FDA.

FDA Factsheet on Picridin
    LOVE it to the max. I use the 15-20%. I find it way more tolerable than DEET, and no worries about fabric or gear far as I know. Sometimes if I don't have on Permethrin treated clothes, I occasionally will spray it right on the clothing. Walmart even has tiny bottles of Sawyers 20% great for packing! Though probably not the most cost efficient.

But mostly I use it on skin in combo with Permethrin on clothes/hammock/packs. With that combo- so far even in swampy areas of MS- I am mostly not even ever aware that there are any bugs living in the woods. The main exception would be ants who are sometimes already swarming up and down the trees I choose to hang from. But even then the ants have either stayed away from my Perm treated hammock, or have not bothered me with Perm treated clothing. Also, the bugs leave my treated packs alone.

I love Picaridin for my exposed skin, and I love it even way more in combo with Permethrin on my clothes! Since discovering these gems, I can hike any place any time of year, temps permitting! I have heard a rumor that the MS woods are full of ticks, mossies and chiggers, but I'm not so sure about that.

What about Nootkatone?
    Bring it, baby! Sounds like a miracle!
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 08-08-2011 at 14:00.

Hammock
    WB Traveler Single 1.7/WBBB DBL 1.1
    Tarp
    ZPack CF/Superfly
    Insulation
    Mt Wsh 3/MMG Shamu
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    LOVE it to the max. I use the 15-20%. I find it way more tolerable than DEET, and no worries about fabric or gear far as I know. Sometimes if I don't have on Permethrin treated clothes, I occasionally will spray it right on the clothing. Walmart even has tiny bottles of Sawyers 20% great for packing! Though probably not the most cost efficient.
    So do you find it to be greasy at all? I haven't heard about this one before, but really, really don't like DEET!!!

SN

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelerNation View Post
    So do you find it to be greasy at all? I haven't heard about this one before, but really, really don't like DEET!!!

SN
    My hands feel a little greasy/slippery after I use them to first rub it on, and it has a "nutty" aroma when I first put it on.(all of this actually varies with brand) But I just wipe it off on my pants, and a few minutes later I am not aware of any greasy feeling or odor, at all. In fact, I am covered with it right now, I have just been out working in my yard trimming bushes at twilight. I can not even tell by feel any thing is on me, and I can't smell it at all.

I hate DEET also, especially the higher concentrations, but not as bad as attached ticks and chiggers and mossy bites! But this stuff does not bother me at all. If you try it, be sure and try and get the 15-20%. There is some 5-10% stuff out there. That won't last very long.

Hammock
    WB Traveler Single 1.7/WBBB DBL 1.1
    Tarp
    ZPack CF/Superfly
    Insulation
    Mt Wsh 3/MMG Shamu
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    My hands feel a little greasy/slippery after I use them to first rub it on, and it has a "nutty" aroma when I first put it on.(all of this actually varies with brand) But I just wipe it off on my pants, and a few minutes later I am not aware of any greasy feeling or odor, at all. In fact, I am covered with it right now, I have just been out working in my yard trimming bushes at twilight. I can not even tell by feel any thing is on me, and I can't smell it at all.

I hate DEET also, especially the higher concentrations, but not as bad as attached ticks and chiggers and mossy bites! But this stuff does not bother me at all. If you try it, be sure and try and get the 15-20%. There is some 5-10% stuff out there. That won't last very long.
    Thanks so much! We got a little off the original thread, but I just got some 10% Permethrin from Tractor Supply and am getting ready to do that as well.

Gotta love all the info on this forum and I love taking the fight to those nasty blood suckers. Obviously, my personality is too sweet!!

SN

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by zukiguy View Post
    Don't dilute it....leave it at 0.5%. Works for Uncle Sam
    http://www.afpmb.org/pubs/standardli...0237_label.pdf

I like the soak method for my clothes. It seems to waste very little of the solution and makes for a very thorough and even application.
    Does anyone else find it ironic taht on the 3rd page of the report at the top it states, "Do not get in eyes or on clothing." Silly government, that's what you're using it for.

What about Nootkatone?
    That's it I'm going to go dive into a trailer loaded with grapefruit next time I go out.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    WarbonnetBlackbird
    Tarp
    Olive Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubat Dempsey TQ
    Suspension
    Stock Webbing
    I happened to be doing some more research on Permethrin and other options, and wanted to look up "Insect Shield" brand...which I understood was permethrin. I just wanted to verify this for those that weren't sure if Permethrin was safe for clothing and hammocks.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is Insect Shield?

What is Insect Shield?
    Insect Shield® Repellent Apparel and Insect Shield® Repellent Gear are revolutionary products designed to provide long-lasting, effective and convenient personal insect protection. The durable protection provided by Insect Shield apparel and gear is the result of years of research and testing. In July 2003, Insect Shield Repellent Apparel was registered by the United States Environmental Protection Agency. In 2006, the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) accepted an amendment extending the durability claims from 25 washes to 70 washes. The duration of the repellency is supported by experimental data. Insect Shield apparel and gear products combine the patent-pending Insect Shield process with a proprietary formulation of the insect repellent permethrin—resulting in effective, odorless insect protection that lasts the expected lifetime of a garment.

How did permethrin originate, and what are its uses?
    Permethrin is a man-made version of a natural insect repellent found in certain chrysanthemum plants. The Insect Shield process binds a proprietary permethrin formula tightly to fabric fibers—resulting in effective insect protection that lasts the expected lifetime of apparel. Permethrin has been successfully used in the United States as an U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)-registered product since 1977, with an excellent safety record. It is used in lice shampoos for children, flea dips for dogs, and various other products, some of which are regulated by the FDA.

Which insects does Insect Shield repel?
    Insect Shield® Repellent Apparel has been registered to repel mosquitoes, ticks, ants, flies, chiggers, and midges (no-see-ums). Insect Shield® Repellent Gear has been registered to repel mosquitoes, ticks, fleas, and flies. The EPA requires extensive effectiveness data to prove a product's ability to repel insects. Many species and varieties of these insects have been tested, including those that can carry dangerous diseases.

Tested and Proven
    Insect Shield technology results from years of intensive research and field study. Numerous studies have confirmed the effectiveness of permethrin-treated clothing as an insect repellent. Insect Shield’s own testing methods follow United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) guidelines, and the results conclusively show that our unique, long-lasting insect protection works.

Durable
    The repellency of Insect Shield apparel is EPA-registered to last through 70 launderings—the expected lifetime of a garment. This is also well beyond the life of most performance finishes commonly used in the technical-apparel industry.
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7DL Green
    Switchback (w/Netting) 1.9DL Green
    Grizzbridge (aka The Loaner)
    Grand Trunk - Deep Blue
    Trek Light in Olive

Backwoods Daydreamer Winter Tarp - Red
    DIY "Deluxe" in Olive
    Warbonnet Superfly in Olive

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 Dbl
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Mt. Washington 3
    Suspension
    Webbing
    What about Nootkatone?
    Wow! this seems too good to be true. I wonder how long it will take to get it on the shelves?
    Tim
    I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be. ~ Douglas Adams

We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

Hammock
    WarbonnetBlackbird
    Tarp
    Olive Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubat Dempsey TQ
    Suspension
    Stock Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by obmit View Post
    Wow! this seems too good to be true. I wonder how long it will take to get it on the shelves?
    It does sound good, doesn't it. I'm looking forward to something citrus based if it works as well as they say.
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7DL Green
    Switchback (w/Netting) 1.9DL Green
    Grizzbridge (aka The Loaner)
    Grand Trunk - Deep Blue
    Trek Light in Olive

Backwoods Daydreamer Winter Tarp - Red
    DIY "Deluxe" in Olive
    Warbonnet Superfly in Olive

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast