Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly,HG CUBEN
    Insulation
    Yeti and Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I'm finding this very confusing. I don't know what mixture we have here, to get that proper solution that's recommended,

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillipsart View Post
    I'm finding this very confusing. I don't know what mixture we have here, to get that proper solution that's recommended,
    Tell us what percent concentration you are starting with and we should be able to give you the answer for a spray on solution.

Here's the basic concept:
    percent concentration/.5=dilution ratio

10/.5=20 (20 parts water to 1 part permethrin concentrate)
    40/.5=80
    etc., etc.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    Clark TX 250
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    straps
    On the question of where to get the high test permetherin... Go to a farm supply store or a vetenary supply store. look in the equine (That's horses to you city kids) dept. Tractor Supply here in Iowa has it for shure. In some sporting goods stores they have "Permanone clothing and gear" spray. Deet should be avoided at all costs for use on a hammock. IT MELTS NYLON! Just don't get liquid permetherin on your skin. It can dish up a migrane headache that pills won't cure. Once it's dry, tho it seems pretty much harmless to humans, and stays effective in the fabric through several washings.

Hammock
    WB Traveler Single 1.7/WBBB DBL 1.1
    Tarp
    ZPack CF/Superfly
    Insulation
    Mt Wsh 3/MMG Shamu
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Knotty View Post
    Tell us what percent concentration you are starting with and we should be able to give you the answer for a spray on solution.

40/.5=80
    etc., etc.
    And just to confirm - you mix the .5% permethrin with water at a concentration of 3 to 1 before dunking your clothes, right?

That would mean that buying 10% permethrin, I would mix 1 oz of product with 20 ozs of water to get to .5%. I would then mix that with 40 ozs of water and dunk my clothes, right?

Just making sure that I understand. Last time, I didn't dilute it and it was pretty strong. Also, don't want to spend more than I need to.

Thanks for all the great info!

SN
    Please visit my AmJustDuane YouTube channel

Hammock
    DIY-Darian UL-like
    Tarp
    z-Packs cuben
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ice man View Post
    ... Just don't get liquid permetherin on your skin. It can dish up a migrane headache that pills won't cure. Once it's dry, tho it seems pretty much harmless to humans, and stays effective in the fabric through several washings.
    I agree-Permethrin is a neurotoxin with high toxicity to insects and other arthropods and low toxicity to most mammals (that would be us) except cats. Kills fish pretty well, too. So don't get it on your cat and don't pour it in your local stream. Exposure of the liquid form to sunlight will deactivate it in a few hours so probably want to apply to clothing and gear in the shade. When dry it is very safe. Still should avoid skin contact especially with the higher concentration mixes.

Having said all this, we give it to children and adults to rub on their bodies and leave over night for scabies infections- so you know it is pretty safe.

-Mark
    Last edited by SlowBro; 08-06-2011 at 19:52.
    -SlowBro
    "Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."-Theodore Roosevelt

Images
    Steeler, I think there is some confusion here. You want to end up with 0.5 % solution.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerNation View Post
    And just to confirm - you mix the .5% permethrin with water at a concentration of 3 to 1 before dunking your clothes, right?

You want to end up with 0.5% solution, so if you start with .5% you don't dilute at all

That would mean that buying 10% permethrin, I would mix 1 oz of product with 20 ozs of water to get to .5%.

Pretty much, except I think you want to start with 1 oz and end up with 20 total, right Y'all? But, either way, a minor dif.

I would then mix that with 40 ozs of water and dunk my clothes, right?

I don't think so. You were where you needed to be the 1st solution. Mixing that now with an additional 40 oz of water will get you way down from the .5% you are looking for. Just stick with 1 oz of 10% added to 19 oz of water, for a total of 20 oz of (after this dilution) 0.5%.

10%/0.5%=20 or 20 to 1 dilution.

Just making sure that I understand. Last time, I didn't dilute it and it was pretty strong. Also, don't want to spend more than I need to.

I bet it was strong! Bet you didn't have any bugs!
    Thanks for all the great info!

SN
    EDIT: Forget most of the above, because as OG pointed out below, Steeler is- as his post clearly said if I would read more carefully- talking about DUNKING. I am talking about spraying, which calls for 0.5% solution. Apparently dunking calls for a lower concentration. Which I did not know, as I have never dunked.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 08-06-2011 at 22:38.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly,HG CUBEN
    Insulation
    Yeti and Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

40/.5=80
    etc., etc.
    Hi Knotty, thanks for your offer of help.

All I can find so far is this, http://www.travelgear.com.au/p/B1000...treatment+pack

I don't know what the solution is. I looked at it in the store today, had it in my hands, but decided to put nit back on the shelf, because I was all confused and the salesman didn't know anything about it.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillipsart View Post
    Hi Knotty, thanks for your offer of help.

All I can find so far is this, http://www.travelgear.com.au/p/B1000...treatment+pack

I don't know what the solution is. I looked at it in the store today, had it in my hands, but decided to put nit back on the shelf, because I was all confused and the salesman didn't know anything about it.
    So then, the labels down in OZ don't state the % concentration? That is amazing!

I notice the stuff linked to has 20 ml of 500 gm Permethrin per liter. How do you convert that to % solution? Is that 50%, or what is it? It must be pretty high, as the container holds only 20 ml! 20 ml is nothing, like 2/3 of an oz. You could never soak with that small amount. If that is indeed a 50% solution ( I have no idea) it would call for a lot of dilution. 50%/.5%= 100 times. Or the 20 ml in the package ( really, only 20 ml?) would be diluted to 2000 ml( 2 liters) or ~ 67 oz of final .5% product. But who knows, 1st we have to figure out what the starting % concentration is.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 08-06-2011 at 21:10.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Careful with the math here folks. The Sawyer product is 0.5% permethrin which can also be expressed as 0.005.

If you are using a higher concentration product you need to dilute it properly.

10% product, dilute 20:1
    40% product, dilute 80:1

The values above are for a spray on solution.

In their dunk kit, you get 6oz of 0.5% permethrin which you then mix with another 12oz of water, making it more dilute. One set of clothes is soaked for at least two hours in that and then hung to dry.

Additional info here.
    BB, I'm with Steeler...this indicates a further 2:1 dilution for dunking.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly,HG CUBEN
    Insulation
    Yeti and Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    So then, the labels down in OZ don't state the % concentration? That is amazing!

I notice the stuff linked to has 20 ml of 500 gm Permethrin per liter. How do you convert that to % solution? Is that 50%, or what is it? It must be pretty high, as the container holds only 20 ml! 20 ml is nothing, like 2/3 of an oz. You could never soak with that small amount. If that is indeed a 50% solution ( I have no idea) it would call for a lot of dilution. 50%/.5%= 100 times. Or the 20 ml in the package ( really, only 20 ml?) would be diluted to 2000 ml( 2 liters) or ~ 67 oz of final .5% product. But who knows, 1st we have to figure out what the starting % concentration is.
    Yes, my initial thoughts, very confusing and I think a bit to expensive, I see if I can find another source, a lot cheaper.
    Found another website that has a bit more info, says there's enough solution to soak a maximum 10 shirts.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast