Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Zeppelin, MobilMum
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Newb Wants to Get Into Hammock Camping!

Hi All,

I have always used a tent and I sleep really poorly because my back gets really stiff on the hard ground (I herniated a couple discs in my lower back a few years ago).

I have some buddies who work at a local outdoors store who all love Hammock Camping (mostly Hennessy & Grand Trunks). Everything I've read online makes Hammock camping sounds like the greatest thing since sliced cheese. So here I am & I'm trying to figure out exactly what to get!

I've narrowed down to a Warbonnet. People seem to love them. I have a few questions/comments however...

1.) Can some people describe the function difference between a Traveler & a Blackbird. I know the Traveler doesn't have the integrated bug netting but I have read a few things that make it sound like people prefer the Traveler for winter... is that just because there are no bugs out?

2.) I'm mostly narrowed down to the Blackbird 1.1 Single, 1.1 Double, or 1.7 Single. I am 5'10", 160 lbs. This is probably my biggest point of contention right now!!! My biggest concern is comfort as that is why I am switching to Hammocks. Weight/Durability are equal as a 2nd priority.

3.) Trying to decide between an UnderQuilt immediately or starting with a 3/4 Thermarest I already have. This is influencing my 1 layer vs 2 layer decision.

4.) Figure I'll go with the simpler adjustable webbing for now since I'll probably upgrade either choice in the long run.

5.) Figure I'll start with a cheap (heavy) tarp until I figure out what I want.

I think that's it for now! PLEASE give me some good feedback so I can stop hunting/waffling/waiting and start Hammock Camping

Thanks,
    Sean

Hammock
    Grizz Bridge
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Pinnacle& Greylock
    Suspension
    Whoops
    First off welcome to the forum.

I am about your size just 10 lbs heavier. I have the 1.1 double blackbird and love it. I would highly recommend it to you if you will be using a pad first. Many people use pads until they can afford an uq.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Can't help much as I mostly DIY but welcome aboard the best place to get the answers you're looking for.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    wbbb dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    MacCat
    Suspension
    whoopies
    I am exactly 5'10' and 160lbs too. I own a wbbb 1.1 dbl, and it is very comfortable, you can also go with the other two options you stated, its really up to you on which of the three you want. and welcome from cali

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    If you have a disc problem in your lower back,,so do I,,and a hammock makes it soooo nice to sleep in,,no back problems here,,next best thing to my hot tub in my book,,,and a hot tub does wonders for the lower back problems...so does the hammock! One thing,,if you adjust your pack load to ride on that bad disc,,the massaging action of my pack,,enables me to make about 10-12 miles a day,,and I normally pack about 34 to 38 lbs on a 3-4 day hike with wife as she only packs about 22-24 and I carry the rest..try that too!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1DL
    Tarp
    CTF3 Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix 3S, GoLite
    Suspension
    Stock
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinnacle View Post
    First off welcome to the forum.

I am about your size just 10 lbs heavier. I have the 1.1 double blackbird and love it. I would highly recommend it to you if you will be using a pad first. Many people use pads until they can afford an uq.
    +1
    Sounds like the 1.1 Double is your best bet. Georgia seems like it could be a buggy place, all the more reason to get an integrated net. The net can be tied back easily if it is not needed. Functionally, in addition to lacking the integrated net, the Traveler does not have a footbox or shelf, both of which make the Blackbird...well, a Blackbird.
    “Simplicity in all things is the secret of the wilderness and one of its most valuable lessons. I think the matter of simplicity goes further than just food, equipment, and unnecessary gadgets; it goes into the matter of thoughts and objectives as well. When in the wilds, we must not carry our problems with us or the joy is lost.” -Sigurd Olson

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite & WBBB 1.0 Double
    Insulation
    Crowsnest/No Snive
    Images
    1. Blackbirds have integral bug nets, whereas the traveler is sans bug protection. The traveler is lighter because it doesn't have the net, so that is what makes it better when there aren't bugs out. A mosquito net is a surprisingly good windbreak though, one you may not notice until the wind nears freezing. You're in Georgia--the net isn't that heavy and West Nile sucks...

2. You'll be fine in the lightest of the Blackbirds, but a double layer is extra protection from mosquitos. You never know when you might want to toss a pad or clothes underneath. i.e. a partial underquilt or very cold nights. I'm 175 and enjoy the 1.0 double.

3. Nothing is nicer than an underquilt but nothing is less expensive than a foam pad. Both work fine, but the overwhelming majority prefer some feathers underneath. If your Thermarest is inflatable, it will work if you keep it partially inflated and have a double layer. God help you in a single layer with an inflatable pad.

4. Excellent plan.

5. If you backpack, take the plunge and at least get a silnylon tarp. There is an opportunity cost to buying a cheap tarp--the capital in the cheap tarp can't be spent on a nicer one. If you car camp, enjoy the cheap tarp and the money you saved.
    Last edited by Trooper; 08-04-2011 at 21:44.

Hammock
    Warbonett BB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream2
    Insulation
    Winter Crowsnest
    Suspension
    whoopieslings.com
    Welcome Sean. Sounds like you've done your homework and are off on the right footing. I'm 6' and 190# and do well in the 1.1DL. I prefer the DL due to living where there are a lot of mosquitoes. They can't get me through the second layer. Also, if using a pad, I have found they stay put much better when I put it between the two bottom layers. I flop a lot at night and that keeps it from sliding out from under me. Start with a good hammock then as needs/finances allow, you can move on up to an UQ and a nice, light tarp. Enjoy!

Hammock
    DreamHammock Darien
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 12
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hook
    Images
    One of the other reasons the Warbonnet Traveler is preferred in the winter, is that you can cocoon yourself in the hammock with down, by using a sleeping bag with a foot zipper and running the hammock completely in the middle of the bag. This gives you an extra layer of protection from the cold, adding a topquilt or even an underquilt to that will make you one cozy bug in a rug!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Zeppelin, MobilMum
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Wow! Thanks for all the quick, kind, and helpful replies.

All have been useful.

- I think I'll rule out the traveler for the simplicity of the integrated bug net & functionality of the shelf & footbox.

- Thanks for the tips (both hammock & backpacking) related to back injuries. Always looking for more tips in that department.

- I already own a few cheap Home Depot tarps. I'll prolly stick with this for starters. Lots of choices in the rainfly department.

- Looks like I still have to figure out the hardest question (though you guys have given me some good food for thought): SL or DL! I think it is going to come down to whether I want to splurge on a Yeti UQ or not.

Thanks,
    Sean

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast