DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    9x10 tyvek
    Insulation
    ww blue ccf pad
    Suspension
    whoopies & toggles
    Images
    +1 on the big tarp. It's like a tent if you're both under it, so it won't feel too different (other than not having pinecones and punji sticks rammed into your back).

Having the little ones nearby has other benefits too--like they say: you don't have to be faster than the bear, just faster than the person hanging next to you. I suggest not telling that joke to your son, though (my sons do not find it funny at all (must get their sense of humor from the Missus )).
    You're gonna need a bigger hammock

Hammock
    DIY R2B3 (Black Bear Burrito) + HUG
    Tarp
    Noah12, Mambajamba
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie + straps
    Images
    Easy thing, get him a nightlight. One of the little LED's on a biner, I believe they have it in one of the cottage industry vendors here, but I can't remember which one.
    .... the Aardvark (earth pig)... a rather unremarkable creature whose sole claim to fame is that it is the first animal listed in the dictionary.
    Rob

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End 1.9
    Tarp
    STS 10x10 Escapist
    Insulation
    DIY Full Length UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Straps
    Since you're car camping you can pretty much bring anything you want since weight will not be an issue.

Bring items for your son so he won't get bored while outdoors. Have him bring something familiar like a stuff toy or an electronic device.

Bring his favorite foods and snacks, lots of water, the basic essentials really. Bags, Pads...whatever you can fit I guess.
    One thing I bring with me always when car camping is my own porta potty - having a little girl I refuse to have her use the public facilities so I bring one - pic below for reference...taken when I took the kids across the Mojave from CA to NV.

Hammock
    Lite Owl; Light Hiker
    Tarp
    Toxaway;MacCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Burrow; Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by kmanclutch View Post
    +1 on the double decker style. I have a four year old that loves sleeping in the HH right above me. I guess since your son is eight he may not like having to be picked up and put in the hammock every time he wants to get in and out. You'll have fun either way.
    I need to try the double-decker approach with my 5-y-o.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Trail Issues? Please let me know.
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

Hammock
    Switchback/Treklite
    Tarp
    BWDD WinterDream
    Insulation
    IX 5-in-1/WM bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies/TL Stand
    If you have a simple hammock you won't mind taking some abuse, with no netting, take that along. It will be a hit for the other cubs to try.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    Greylock 3 Hudson
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Just an update - I tried the bunk bed type hang in the basement and have tried it out a few times and that should work well with me on the top bunk.

I have a cheep ENO i'll bring to let some of the other scouts try out. I live in the suburbs of Chicago and very few parents are interested in the outdoors and hence very few cub scouts have any interest in boy scouts because they don't get any exposure to how cool it could be.

Hammock
    HH-HBPA,2QZQ-Mod2L
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx Spinn
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 & TiGoat
    Suspension
    DIY 7/64" UCR's
    Images
    My son thought it was cool the first few times. Then came a huge drencher of a storm that ended up putting up to 12" of water in many of the tents of Cubbers while we were at a WEBELOS Outpost. We were the only dry ones in the morning.

My son had his iPod with Pirates of the Caribean and his earbuds. A glowstick hung from his ridgeline. That was 4 years ago. He is Life now. He considers a tent at the last minute only for 1 nighters when he personally checks for perfect weather on a minimum of two channels. Benedryl and Ibuprofen are standard in hid first aid kit- used any time we hike, bike or "hot" camp. Getting to sleep is just as important as staying dry. He learned these trick early and sticks to them.
    Last edited by TrailH4x; 08-08-2011 at 08:58. Reason: Seplllnig
    H4x
    SM TR49, SR-875 "A boy learns integrity through his eyes, ears and hands."

"You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no telling where you might be swept off to." Bilbo Baggins, as quoted by Frodo The Fellowship of the Ring

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    OMW or Dutch Wide
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies/ Dutch
    Quote Originally Posted by heywoodja View Post
    Just an update - I tried the bunk bed type hang in the basement and have tried it out a few times and that should work well with me on the top bunk.
    Shouldn't you hang under him for safety reasons? Like if your suspension broke.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    Greylock 3 Hudson
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormstaff View Post
    Shouldn't you hang under him for safety reasons? Like if your suspension broke.
    You should if you wanted to minimize all risk but I won't be that much above him and his hammock should be able to support both of us if I fall.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Guide Gear 12x12
    Insulation
    DYI UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing & Buckles

Cub Scout Hammock

Quote Originally Posted by heywoodja View Post
    I am planning on going to my 8 year old Cub Scout family camping trip and I was thinking of using hammocks for the both of us. I have given up on tent camping for good (I hope) and plan to use my WBBB and have my son use my HH.

My question is what issue should I prepare for when my son is in his own hammock alone vs with me in a tent? Should I hang both as close as possible to make it seem like I am close? Backyard tryout is not an option so I am looking for someone that has done family hammocking with younger kids.
    The only thing I can add is in Cub Scouts we are dealing with 1st to 5th graders and when they see your hammock they are going to have to try it out. What I had to do was to limit the horse play around and in the hammock area. We don’t need to give BSA any reason to ban hammocks form cub scouts and possibly younger scouts. Remember BSA has very stringent guidelines on safety. The only other thing, if you are changing clothes makes sure you have a “Cub Scout appropriate” area to change. We always had a tent available to change in.

BearClaw (Pack 4, Den Leader)

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast