DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    At some point your suspension becomes longer than you're ability to reach high on the tree to attach it a the point needed for widely spread trees.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Redden may offer more choices on color than anyone else does. Interesting, they do not carry all of Samson's cordage, including two stronger lines marketed for sail racing.

You missed on the 1c per foot discount available to HF members. But, West Marine will match price before the discount. In my experience, with a smaller selection of colors.

Per other threads, the limit to usable length is a function of how high you can reach on the trees. The further apart the trees, the higher you must reach to use the longer whoopie.

I'd suggest carrying some spare cordage, with eyes spliced in, all very tightly wrapped up to conserve space.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DemostiX View Post
    Per other threads, the limit to usable length is a function of how high you can reach on the trees. The further apart the trees, the higher you must reach to use the longer whoopie.

I'd suggest carrying some spare cordage, with eyes spliced in, all very tightly wrapped up to conserve space.
    DemostiX, I kind of understand what you are saying about how high I can reach on the trees. However, my tendency is always to make things longer (just in case; I still haven't fully adapted to ultralight thinking).

Let's say that my trees are 15 feet apart (which is pretty darn close for my 11 or 12 ft long Byer Moskito Hammock, not counting the whoopie slings). A six ft. whoopie would almost be too much to hang the hammock, and a 10 ft. whoopie is definitely overkill.

But other than the unnecessary length (and weight) of the 10 ft. whoopie, wouldn't it work just as well as the six-foot whoopie to hang the hammock? I'm just thinking the 10 ft. whoopie gives me more versatility.

Maybe I'm not getting it just yet.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    My reply was wholly un-original. It repeats what makers and vendors of whoopie slings have expressed here before, some recently, and supported it with the personal experience of vertical challenge which can render some of the length of long slings useless. It was those with more experience than I have who pointed out this geometric requirement to me.

I assumed you'd find your way around the trees with tree straps, in addition to the whoopies. And, I suggested the auxilliary sling because it is lighter, cheaper, and more versatile to have extra pieces of cordage you can temporarily string together with what you have than to have fewer. The auxillary sling with eyes at both ends is lighter and (arguably) stronger than the length of whoopie it replaces, too.

Hammock
    Hennessy Exp.
    Tarp
    Chinook 9.5'x12'
    Insulation
    HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Update

Well the Amsteel came in and I picked it up yesterday during lunch. Got home last night and couldn't wait for this weekend so I went ahead and made the whoopie slings and put them on the hammock. Went to the back yard to double check everything with a quick hang and it all works like a charm.

I want to thank SlowBro and Ken for the instructions and video on making the slings and how to attached to my HH. This forum has been great and all the input from so many members made this project very easy.

Thanks to all,
    Chris

Chris,
    Can you post the link to the video/instructions that helped you? VERY new noob here...
    Thanks,
    UB

Hammock
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    HF member WV elsewhere comments the point of the structural ridgeline is to have the hammock line independent of the rope line. Of course, he is right.

So, you could utilize long whoopie slings connected to tree straps mounted at heights you can reach. The whoopies would have to be drawn very tight, and you would have to have a strong structural ridgeline if the hammock was to be off the ground.

Hammock
    Hennessy Exp.
    Tarp
    Chinook 9.5'x12'
    Insulation
    HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by UncaBuddha View Post
    Chris,
    Can you post the link to the video/instructions that helped you? VERY new noob here...
    Thanks,
    UB
    UB,
    Here are the links to the post I used.

SlowBro Tutorial on making Whoopie slings.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=9349

Ken's Video on attaching sling to HH
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=13116

Hammock
    Nano-7
    Tarp
    Grand Trunk 10x10
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by fubba28 View Post
    I ordered 200 ft. from http://reddenmarine.com at 21 cents a foot. West Marine was .27 per foot. I ordered Friday and it showed up Monday priority mail. That was quick!

I ordered forest green, but they instead shipped me cyan, like a neon baby blue. I'm glad I didn't get the forest green because it would have been hard to see in the woods.

First whoopie took about 30 minutes because I was taking my time, but the second whoopie took less than 15 minutes.

Other than weight, can someone give me a good reason why a six or eight foot whoopie is better than a 10-ft. whoopie? It just seems the longer whoopie gives me more tree options.
    When you have trees that are farther aport, then you have to attatch your slings very high on the tree, often higher than the average person tern reach. Alternatively, you could decrease your hang angle, but then you ore increasing the force on your suspension a lot.
    "You can fight, fight without ever winning,
    But you can never, ever win without a fight"
    -Rush

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12