Tarp
    OES 8 x 10 Sil
    Insulation
    HG CF 20F Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Hello Everyone!

Hello everyone!

My name is Chad, but I go by Stick on the trail. I have only been a hiker/backpacker for about 2.5 years now and like many started out with a tent. Then, it didn't take me long that I wanted to try out a simple tarp. I bought an OES 8 x 10 silnylon tarp, and I quickly found that silnylon stretches, so I needed a solution to keeping the tarp taut. This is where I first came across HF as I was pointed towards headchange4u's self tensioning guline post. Don't get me wrong though, I still enjoy my tents, but as of recent I have moved on again and tried a hammock.

In the past I hemmed some ripstop nylon to be used as a tarp, however, I never got around to getting a suspension for it so I never used it. Then, after reading some good things (read: inexpensive) about the Grand Trunk Ultralight hammock, I decided I would try it out. However, when I went to purchase it they were all out of the suspension systems, and to be honest, all of the reading about other suspension systems and ridgelines, well it was overwhelming and I wanted something simple and cheap. Then about 2 days later I found someone selling this exact hammock with suspension for cheap so I jumped on it.

Of course once I did that I came back to this site and was pleased to find a Grand Trunk thread. I also of course (re)watched all 10 episodes of Shugs Newbie How-To videos.

Once it came in I took it out and began trying to figure it out. Happily, it was very easy to hang. Of course though the first time sitting in it (ok, and still...) I was a bit nervous, just wondering if the cords would really me up...but they did...and later I found myself almost dozing off in the hammock on a hot sunny day in the shade.

It didn't take me long to figure out that I did in fact find the hammock comfortable, and as much as I had believed before, I didn't end up feeling like a banana. Although, I still don't have laying on the diagonal down...but I am willing to work with it. And maybe it's the hammock? Regardless, I decided I was going to invest in a easier, and lighter, suspension system.

So, I placed an order for some tree huggers, toggles and whoopie slings (among other things) from Stu at Whoopieslings.com. And right here I have to throw in how pleased I was with Stu. I placed my order late Saturday night and the next morning realized that I wished I would have opted for the soft shackles on the single line tarp ridge line I ordered. So, I emailed Stu and asked if he could fix the order and I would PayPal him the extra $$$. Within a couple of hours, he emailed me back and told me he took care of the order and not to worry about the extra cash! Plus he said it would be out the next morning. Sure enough, Wednesday it was in my hands!

Once I got them, I found it rather easy to outfit my hammock with my new suspension, as well as drop a little weight in the process. Also, the entire system is very easy to use! So, big props to Stu for his awesome customer service as well as his sweet gear!

I also want to give a shout out to Raul Perez (AKA: Water Monkey) as he and I exchanged multiple emails in which he educated me in the ways of general hammocking, suspension and insulation... Of course his Youtube videos were very helpful (and funny) too! Thanks Water Monkey! maybe one day we will meet on the trail...

So, at this point, I am quite happy with the GT UL hammock. I even made a DY Bug Sock, thanks to Randy Smith (AKA Papa Smurf), which turned out quite well.

So, I just wanted to tell everyone here on the forums hello. And while I do still enjoy my tents, I am very impressed and happy with my first hammock. I even used the suspension system from the GT hammock to finally bring my DIY hammock to life, so now I have a loaner for a buddy...

But anyway, I am looking forward to getting to know my hammock better, and wanted to say thanks to everyone here already, because I have already benefited from some great info posted here on the forums. Also, my limited dealing with the hammocking community has been all good so far...

So, to end this, I will leave some links to the videos that I made about my hammock system so far...

http://sticksblog.com/2011/07/21/fir...ammock-system/

http://sticksblog.com/2011/07/31/who...ings%E2%80%A6/
    Jus' Sayin'

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DBL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Sleeping BearTQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Straps and Slings
    Images
    Hey Stick, welcome aboard. I've checked out your blog a good number of times in the past.
    "We don't stop hiking because we grow old,
    we grow old because we stop hiking."

-- Finis Mitchell,

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Welcome to the Forums from Canada! Lots of great people here.
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    DD Tarp 3x3
    Insulation
    GarQuilt/Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Welcome to the forum from west Texas and thanks for sharing.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Ultralight
    Tarp
    OES 8 x 10 Sil
    Insulation
    HG CF 20F Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Thanks everyone for the warm welcome!

Dblcorona, how do you like Lawson's tarp? Is it one of the newer ones that uses the reflective cuben? My OES tarp is fine, but at 20 oz it is a little heavy... I will get a cuben tarp (probably next year) and like Lawson's tarps.
    Jus' Sayin'

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DBL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Sleeping BearTQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Straps and Slings
    Images
    Really like it so far. Using it officially starting tomorrow. Heading to the Upper Peninsula for 8 days. Will be backpacking in the Porcupine Mountains for some of it. Will have a better feel after that. But I don't really expect any issues.
    "We don't stop hiking because we grow old,
    we grow old because we stop hiking."

-- Finis Mitchell,

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night/Lite Owls
    Tarp
    WL-TP/OMW/BF
    Insulation
    WL-TQ/UQ x3
    Suspension
    Dutch-n-Whopies
    Images
    welcome to Hammock Forums and hey from high point nc.
    there is a ton of stuff here to read, learn and ask about.
    if it's hammock related it's here or still waiting to be invented.
    hang on and have fun.

home is where your hammock is.

Hammock
    Dangerbird 72
    Tarp
    Big Daddy; Kelty
    Suspension
    Python or Whoopies

Welcome

Welcome, Stick! Relatively new here myself. Loving my GTUL also.
    Happy Hangin!

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Welcome aboard from Florida. Enjoy the fun.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    Grizz Bridge
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Pinnacle& Greylock
    Suspension
    Whoops
    Welcome Stick from Alabama. Only about 2 hours from you.

I have seen most of your youtube reviews and have gotten some great info from you.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast